Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Ford Transit Connect van

I'm looking forward to seeing if bikes will easily fit (upright, wheels on) in the new 2014 Transit Connect van. Looks like a mini Sprint van-lots of potential for customization...and they're predicting 30+mpg hwy with the Eco-boost motor.

The long-wheelbase van features 130.6 cu. ft. of cargo space and can accommodate items up to seven feet long, five feet wide and nearly four feet tall.
    New Ford Transit Connect van-2014-ford-transit-connect-cargo-area%5B1%5D.jpg

2014 Ford Transit Connect Commercial Truck | Work Smarter & Harder | Ford.com
    Last edited by SteveF; 12-17-2013 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The outgoing model would fit bikes with both wheels on, I would imagine the new one will as well, though I haven't checked one out in person.

I wish they offered it with AWD and a manual transmission. Or even just a manual...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ford CNG Transit Connect
    CNG conversion.

mtbr member
    The outgoing model would fit bikes with both wheels on
    Really! I didn't think it would--looked too short and shallow with the seats folded. Do you mean it would hold one bike layed flat? I'm hoping with the new van option to be able to put bikes upright against the side walls and load camping gear, etc down the middle, like I do with my pickup with topper. (but with much better fuel economy!)

I don't mind the automatic myself, but I agree an AWD option would be cool. I read one article online that said if this van sells well it may spur other automakers that don't have a pickup or any sort of hauler available to do something similar. Maybe Subaru would do one--that'd be cool!

The propane conversion may be useful for fleet vehicles or something but I don't see any immediate need for it myself. Maybe if gasoline gets up over $5 down the road...

This would be my first new car since 1997, so I'm hoping to pick a winner! Going to be driving it for a while. I need something reasonably small, (to fit in my garage) that hauls bikes plus gear easily, and get at least upper 20's mpg hwy. Also keeping an eye on the new 2015 Colorado. Not to mention whatever other car makers might come up with to compete with the Transit and the 'Rado...

mtbr member
    Needs to be AWD or 4wd. I love my Chevy Express AWD van.

Just ride!

I would like to see an interior picture of the shorter model. Possible Element replacement!?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The outgoing model would fit bikes with both wheels on, I would imagine the new one will as well, though I haven't checked one out in person.

mtbr member
    Got to see one of these in the flesh yesterday at my local dealership. Looks real promising for bike haulin'! I like the lines and proportions better than I thought I would--it doesn't look quite so unbalanced in person as in some of the pics. It looks much more compact than a real minivan. I'm pretty sold on it! Just have to wait til they get a few nicer ones in (the one I saw was a base, plain-jane XL utility version) to test drive and maybe fit a bike or two in just to make sure it'll work for me.

I also have to figure out how to secure them upright. I'm thinking one or another of the truck bed-style racks should work...

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dayvertset View Post
    I have a 2010 and it appears the newer model may have slightly lower cargo height (49" new versus 52" old) if I'm reading the specs correctly. You can certainly load bikes upright with both wheels on in the old model and there is plenty of clearance so should be no problem with new model.

Length of cargo area is about the same for short wheelbase (71.5" new 72.6" old). Looks like the new van has an 87.2" cargo length option. City mpg is worse for new model but highway mpg is much better.

Transit connect is a GREAT bike hauler.

mtbr member
    I'm trying to decide which motor I'd get if I get a Transit Connect. The 1.6t Ecotec motor is only rated for 1 more mpg by the EPA and costs $800 more. I'd imagine it might be a bit more spirited, have a little more power, etc. But the 2.5 base motor is a little boring but it's also a tried and true product. I understand the 1.6 ecotec has had a few problems with recalls and meeting it's EPA mileage ratings, and I wonder about it's long term reliability and durability.

Just ride!

Anybody seen one of these in the wild or up close?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tennessee17 View Post
    Anybody seen one of these in the wild or up close?
    Yeah, I test drove an XL van at my local Ford dealership. Pretty nice ride, smooth, very car like, and tons of room for bikes and gear. Noisy though with that big, unfinished cargo area. I'm either going to get the wagon instead or have some custom sound proofing work done on a van, maybe add a bulkhead to divide the cargo area from the cab.

<EDIT>

Also, the proportions of the thing are not bad--it's not so big as a "real" minivan. Looks more like a taller Mazda5-a somewhat inflated hatchback/wagon. I liked it better in person than I thought I would from pictures, where I was mainly drawn to it's apparent versatility rather than appearance.
    Last edited by SteveF; 03-05-2014 at 04:29 AM.

mtbr member
    I love these things. They're super practical and properly ugly. As it's been said AWD or 4WD would be nice.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    They missed such an opportunity not bringing over the small diesel engine for these from Europe. I can't think of a car I'd like more.

mtbr member
    I'm torn, because I'd like to get one and I have the means to do it soon. (once they actually start arriving in more numbers) But I'm hopeful that they might offer some features in 2015 that I want so I'm going to try to wait. AWD would be a welcome option, I agree, and I really want heated seats (but don't want to buy the Titanium wagon, which is the only way to get them in a 2014)

Your Best Friend
    The towing capacity is pretty dismal.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: New Ford Transit Connect van

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    They missed such an opportunity not bringing over the small diesel engine for these from Europe. I can't think of a car I'd like more.
    Can't agree more. Ford always lets Europe have the cool power trains. For instance, even an Escape can be had with a 2.0 turbo diesel, manual and awd. Bring on the diesel revolution here. I want a diesel!

Edit: just checked out the site. They look pretty cool! Just to be clear, the short wheelbase version holds a bike upright or are you talking about the long wheelbase model?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 88five-oh View Post
    Bring on the diesel revolution here. I want a diesel!
    You have to keep in mind that EPA and Euro regulations were complete polar opposites of each other. One specified less NOx and the other specified less particulate matter. To accomplish either required different engine combustion design concepts and exhaust after treatment systems. Bringing the same engine to the U.S. would require a different engine design and aftertreatment system, diesels also cost several thousand more than gasoline engines. And gasoline is cheaper in the U.S.

Plus 90% of american's are lazy and only drive automatics. Add to that diesels up until recently were very low power engines, which required more gears and a robust transmissions. So really you're forced to drive a manual until recently.

Enter new enhancements in the last few years. Automatic transmissions are now adopting 6 and 8 speed transmissions, which are capable of handling the torque of a diesel. 6 gears is more than a typical 5 speed manual so the transmission is able to make use of the short power band of a diesel. So that part of the equation is solved by modern standards.

The next is in 2015/2016 Euro V and EPA tier4 emissions will align with low NOx and particulate matter levels being nearly the same. This means that a diesel system designed for europe can be sold in it's current form without any reengineering. So you'll start to see more diesels enter into the united states in 2015/2016. Because with automatic transmissions, and better horsepower levels, they fit the american' lifestyle now. That couldn't be said in the early 2000's.

Your Best Friend
    Interesting and good to know. Thanks for that post.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Then there's hope for the future! Thanks for the info.

Sent from my MotoX using tapatalk

mtbr member

Thanks Neseth. Good to know. I'd love a small pick up with a diesel. I have a 2003 Tacoma. It's possible to swap a diesel into it but it's super expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    Thanks Neseth. Good to know. I'd love a small pick up with a diesel. I have a 2003 Tacoma. It's possible to swap a diesel into it but it's super expensive.

The new Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon pickups will offer an optional turbo diesel in the 4th quarter of 2015, FWIW...that's the other vehicle I'm considering as it happens. (probably not the diesel, though)

mtbr member
    ...Just to be clear, the short wheelbase version holds a bike upright or are you talking about the long wheelbase model?
    They're both the same height so bikes should fit upright in either one. The SWB cargo area will be real close to the same length as typical bikes, though, so I won't know how well they fit til I can see one in person. I like the SWB better so I hope they'll fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I wish you could get the wagon with interior trim and rear seats but with rubber floor instead of carpet back there. That'd be perfect for bikes with the option for people when necessary.

mtbr member
    I wish you could get the wagon with interior trim and rear seats but with rubber floor instead of carpet back there. That'd be perfect for bikes with the option for people when necessary.

You can-vinyl flooring is an option in the wagon (maybe not the top of the line titanium, but for sure in the XL and XLT) You can even get vinyl in the front if you want it...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    The new Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon pickups will offer an optional turbo diesel in the 4th quarter of 2015, FWIW...that's the other vehicle I'm considering as it happens. (probably not the diesel, though)
    Those look pretty nice. I am curious what kind of after market support for off roading those will have. Like a rear diff locker. I never thought I'd use the locker on the tacoma as much as I have.

I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    There's a dealership not far from me that has both a short and long wheel base van in stock, side by side. Going to go over there after work with a bike and see how it fits! I'll try to get some pics...

Just ride!

Thanks SteveF!

mtbr member
    Well, I took my tallest, longest bike (size medium, 27.5" Turner Burner) to the dealership and they were quite willing to let me roll it into these vans. First off, no pics-sorry. I'm embarrassed to say that I simply forgot. But I was able to draw a pretty clear conclusion.

Both models are plenty tall to take a bike upright with wheels on. No overhead clearance issues at all.

The short wheelbase van will hold an upright bike ok, but I had to slip the rear wheel in next to the back of the front seat and turn the front wheel at an angle, pointing the handlebar end into the rear corner of the van to fit it lengthwise. It's shorter than I'd hoped but is workable, especially if you are hauling only one bike. It might even be considered an advantage, since tucking the rear wheel in between the seatback and B pillar would serve as a bike rack/support. Tie off the front wheel to the rear tie downs and you'd be in pretty good shape.

The long wheelbase van is better suited to my needs--the bike rolled in upright, dead straight and did not touch either the back of the front seats or the rear door. Room to spare! I foresee no trouble fitting two or even three bikes in this van, along with camping and related gear packed in around them...this is the one I would get. I'd just have to figure out a bike rack to hold them upright back there.

The wagon models (with rear seats) are another kettle of fish altogether, and the above descriptions would not apply.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for checking! Looking at the ford specs, all dimensions are basically the same on the wagons, except on the LWB wagon the floor to ceiling height drops from 49" to 42", from the way the third row seats fold if I remember. That would not be enough to roll in my Surly, but it would definitely work with the front wheel off. Although if the wagon 2nd row seats flip forward to fold, that's another foot of length gone. Hopefully they drop into the floor. I'm interested in test driving one this spring to check it out. They have a front windshield with built-in defroster as an option, that sounds pretty slick.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: New Ford Transit Connect van

These would be the perfect vehicle for me if they offered a hybrid or diesel option for better mpg. Also if it were made by Toyota instead of Ford.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i am seriously considering this vehicle as my mountain biking/adventuring transport hauler...was considering the element before but didn't like the fact that it is discontinued and can only be purchased used...

hope some actual users can comment if they like it or not

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wow, after I got off this thread I seriously wasted an hour looking at pics of this online. I'm going to try to make a trip to the nearest Ford Dealer in a few weeks to take a look. My guess is that these vans aren't in high demand for personal users rather than commercial users so the Wagon versions may not be as readily available. I personally haven't seen much non-commercial use of this truck in Southern California which was why I was surprised when I discovered it online.

Been wanting to get a Honda Element for the longest time as a bike/dog/camp hauler but just don't want to buy a used car and since the Honda Element is discontinued this might be the solution. Anyways will keep you all posted

mtbr member
    They have a lot of potential for bike hauling but I have to admit I've cooled a bit on them since I did a test drive. The van version (best for hauling stuffs not peoples) is just a big metal box with two seats up front and it's very noisy. If I bought one I'd have to put in a bulkhead to separate the passenger and cargo area or drive with earplugs in. That would also make climate control settings much more effective. The cockpit is also very cheap and plastic-ey. Understandable, as it's basically an economy car with a big box in back. I haven't ruled them out, but I'm currently diggin' the new Colorado/Canyon trucks. Drove a Colorado last week and it was VERY nice. Quiet, refined, smooth ride, just felt quality throughout. Very impressive. Hope to see a Canyon later today, which should be even a bit nicer from what I've seen online!

mtbr member
    Yeah, the Canyon is probably going to happen. What a GREAT truck! Classy exterior, and a refined interior that looks lifted right out of a recent Buick...

Last edited by SteveF; 10-03-2014 at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rachmak View Post
    Wow, after I got off this thread I seriously wasted an hour looking at pics of this online. I'm going to try to make a trip to the nearest Ford Dealer in a few weeks to take a look. My guess is that these vans aren't in high demand for personal users rather than commercial users so the Wagon versions may not be as readily available. I personally haven't seen much non-commercial use of this truck in Southern California which was why I was surprised when I discovered it online.

Been wanting to get a Honda Element for the longest time as a bike/dog/camp hauler but just don't want to buy a used car and since the Honda Element is discontinued this might be the solution. Anyways will keep you all posted
    Did you get to check one out? What were your impressions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Those new "small" pickups are HUGE. Looks about the same size as a full size pickup from the 90's

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm holding out for the diesel Canyon. If it can get 33-35mpg, might be time to trade up.

mtbr member
    Yep, they are notably bigger than my 1st Gen. Colorado. Much higher too. But they drive and handle pretty nimbly. I'd go with the extended cab over the 4 door-it's 14" shorter so hopefully it won't seem quite so big.

The diesel is going to be a game-changer. I can't justify it for my needs but you're far from alone in wanting to check it out...

mtbr member
    Rachmak, did you get a chance to take a look at one of the Transit Connects? I'd still like to hear your impressions...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    @stevef and sorry for delayed response. i went the dealer to check out the circa and like the previous poster said, it's great for hauling gear but not people. So I basically had to reconsider whether this car would be practical for me for when i'm not riding my mtn bike (which is unfortunately too often).

the cool thing is that you can go to a local dealership and custom order one so you can get the number of rows, window openings, rear open hatch opening that fits your preference. The type that would fit me would be to have a row of seats in the middle but not the back since if i was hauling a lot of people i would use a minivan, but this really begs the question on why I wouldn't just drive my minivan.

The dream would be to set this up where I can go on long mtb road trips but the reality is that most of my riding is local where a sedan and platform rack (with lock) is more than plenty.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. There is a cool website called Outside Van - Mercedes Sprinter Custom Conversion Camper Van Experts that sells some smoking vans. Fun to look through!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Can a bench be purchased for a cargo van? I found this configuration online looking at Ford Transit Connect photos; it didn't have a description. I'll swing by a dealership, but I am curious what configuration this is; it looks like the cargo van (as that there aren't rear windows on the sides) with a bench seat that folds. I like this set-up as that the simple bench doesn't detract that much from the cargo area (as that I'm looking for a bike hauler/road-tripping vehicle), but still provides the flexibility for five people.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Ford Transit Connect van-img_0861.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hmmm, could be a Euro/foreign version. Or might be the taxicab configuration...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So Europe gets the purported 40 to 45 MPG diesel engine AND a bench in the cargo van? (The red Connect has rear side windows; the white does not.) I'll swing by a Ford dealership to learn if that bench can be purchased through them, and I'll also check with a van conversion company. I'd like to have dollar amounts for the options - 1) wagon in which the two rows of seats fold down completely flat (I have that quote), and 2) cargo van with one bench (I do not have that).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Ford Transit Connect van-img_0863.jpg  

mtbr member
    Does anybody have a hitch rack on these? We are in the market for a new vehicle and a dealer has 2014 wagons at a decent price. But we need to install a hitch rack and I was wondering if the lift gate and a loaded rack play well together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    By the way, at a south Denver Ford dealership, I found an old brochure from 2010 or 2011 in which having the bench in the Transit Connect van (not wagon) was a more popular option. I saw that configuration in a 2011 on eBay but not in any of the dealerships' inventory. I guess no one wants it today. The commercial van salesman said I could only get the bench today on a van as a custom order; it'd take about six months, and he wasn't inclined to place that order for me. All of the recent snow has reminded me that I like AWD, so I'll forego the TC's awesome cargo space for an Outback for my next car purchase.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    As to the rear hitch rack, do you know, Minimalist, how well these racks do with two vs four bike trays? I heard four bikes are way too bouncy.

mtbr member
    If I were in the market today, I'd take a hard look at the new Ram ProMaster City van. The passenger version has a rear bench that folds up and leaves nearly as much cargo room behind it as the Transit Connect van with no rear seat at all. I like the interior better, too, and it is available with heated seats. (no heated seats except in the Titanium trim wagon was a big disappointment to me in the Ford) Just have to put your faith in Chrysler/Fiat reliability which is a bit of a tall order for me...

2015 Ram ProMaster City - A New Breed Of Van For The City
    Last edited by SteveF; 02-24-2015 at 07:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Would love this thing in a diesel. Great gas milage and torque ftw.
    -2016 Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    -2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 CC
    -2016 Transition Smuggler
    -2015 Orbea Avant M20d

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The specs for the Promaster City outshine the Transit Connect, indeed; slightly better cargo space and MPG. From what I recall with my research, the van for the most part is alive-and-kicking in Europe but some of the aspects of the one being brought to the US is a new merger of some of Chysler's and Fiat's technologies (which is a touch concerning, as that from what I read, neither is known for reliability). I had visited a couple Dodge dealerships in the Front Range (Colorado), but they were unsure of as to when the van would arrive. (They weren't even familiar w/ this little cargo van.) There is a helpful Youtube video that compares the three (Dodge, Ford, Nissan).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast