Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Ford Transit Connect van

I'm looking forward to seeing if bikes will easily fit (upright, wheels on) in the new 2014 Transit Connect van. Looks like a mini Sprint van-lots of potential for customization...and they're predicting 30+mpg hwy with the Eco-boost motor.

The long-wheelbase van features 130.6 cu. ft. of cargo space and can accommodate items up to seven feet long, five feet wide and nearly four feet tall.
    New Ford Transit Connect van-2014-ford-transit-connect-cargo-area%5B1%5D.jpg

2014 Ford Transit Connect Commercial Truck | Work Smarter & Harder | Ford.com
    Last edited by SteveF; 12-17-2013 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The outgoing model would fit bikes with both wheels on, I would imagine the new one will as well, though I haven't checked one out in person.

I wish they offered it with AWD and a manual transmission. Or even just a manual...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ford CNG Transit Connect
    CNG conversion.

mtbr member
    The outgoing model would fit bikes with both wheels on
    Really! I didn't think it would--looked too short and shallow with the seats folded. Do you mean it would hold one bike layed flat? I'm hoping with the new van option to be able to put bikes upright against the side walls and load camping gear, etc down the middle, like I do with my pickup with topper. (but with much better fuel economy!)

I don't mind the automatic myself, but I agree an AWD option would be cool. I read one article online that said if this van sells well it may spur other automakers that don't have a pickup or any sort of hauler available to do something similar. Maybe Subaru would do one--that'd be cool!

The propane conversion may be useful for fleet vehicles or something but I don't see any immediate need for it myself. Maybe if gasoline gets up over $5 down the road...

This would be my first new car since 1997, so I'm hoping to pick a winner! Going to be driving it for a while. I need something reasonably small, (to fit in my garage) that hauls bikes plus gear easily, and get at least upper 20's mpg hwy. Also keeping an eye on the new 2015 Colorado. Not to mention whatever other car makers might come up with to compete with the Transit and the 'Rado...

mtbr member
    Needs to be AWD or 4wd. I love my Chevy Express AWD van.

Just ride!

I would like to see an interior picture of the shorter model. Possible Element replacement!?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The outgoing model would fit bikes with both wheels on, I would imagine the new one will as well, though I haven't checked one out in person.

mtbr member
    Got to see one of these in the flesh yesterday at my local dealership. Looks real promising for bike haulin'! I like the lines and proportions better than I thought I would--it doesn't look quite so unbalanced in person as in some of the pics. It looks much more compact than a real minivan. I'm pretty sold on it! Just have to wait til they get a few nicer ones in (the one I saw was a base, plain-jane XL utility version) to test drive and maybe fit a bike or two in just to make sure it'll work for me.

I also have to figure out how to secure them upright. I'm thinking one or another of the truck bed-style racks should work...

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dayvertset View Post
    I have a 2010 and it appears the newer model may have slightly lower cargo height (49" new versus 52" old) if I'm reading the specs correctly. You can certainly load bikes upright with both wheels on in the old model and there is plenty of clearance so should be no problem with new model.

Length of cargo area is about the same for short wheelbase (71.5" new 72.6" old). Looks like the new van has an 87.2" cargo length option. City mpg is worse for new model but highway mpg is much better.

Transit connect is a GREAT bike hauler.

mtbr member
    I'm trying to decide which motor I'd get if I get a Transit Connect. The 1.6t Ecotec motor is only rated for 1 more mpg by the EPA and costs $800 more. I'd imagine it might be a bit more spirited, have a little more power, etc. But the 2.5 base motor is a little boring but it's also a tried and true product. I understand the 1.6 ecotec has had a few problems with recalls and meeting it's EPA mileage ratings, and I wonder about it's long term reliability and durability.

Just ride!

Anybody seen one of these in the wild or up close?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tennessee17 View Post
    Anybody seen one of these in the wild or up close?
    Yeah, I test drove an XL van at my local Ford dealership. Pretty nice ride, smooth, very car like, and tons of room for bikes and gear. Noisy though with that big, unfinished cargo area. I'm either going to get the wagon instead or have some custom sound proofing work done on a van, maybe add a bulkhead to divide the cargo area from the cab.

Also, the proportions of the thing are not bad--it's not so big as a "real" minivan. Looks more like a taller Mazda5-a somewhat inflated hatchback/wagon. I liked it better in person than I thought I would from pictures, where I was mainly drawn to it's apparent versatility rather than appearance.
    Last edited by SteveF; 03-05-2014 at 04:29 AM.

mtbr member
    I love these things. They're super practical and properly ugly. As it's been said AWD or 4WD would be nice.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    They missed such an opportunity not bringing over the small diesel engine for these from Europe. I can't think of a car I'd like more.

mtbr member
    I'm torn, because I'd like to get one and I have the means to do it soon. (once they actually start arriving in more numbers) But I'm hopeful that they might offer some features in 2015 that I want so I'm going to try to wait. AWD would be a welcome option, I agree, and I really want heated seats (but don't want to buy the Titanium wagon, which is the only way to get them in a 2014)

Your Best Friend
    The towing capacity is pretty dismal.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: New Ford Transit Connect van

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    They missed such an opportunity not bringing over the small diesel engine for these from Europe. I can't think of a car I'd like more.
    Can't agree more. Ford always lets Europe have the cool power trains. For instance, even an Escape can be had with a 2.0 turbo diesel, manual and awd. Bring on the diesel revolution here. I want a diesel!

Edit: just checked out the site. They look pretty cool! Just to be clear, the short wheelbase version holds a bike upright or are you talking about the long wheelbase model?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 88five-oh View Post
    Bring on the diesel revolution here. I want a diesel!
    You have to keep in mind that EPA and Euro regulations were complete polar opposites of each other. One specified less NOx and the other specified less particulate matter. To accomplish either required different engine combustion design concepts and exhaust after treatment systems. Bringing the same engine to the U.S. would require a different engine design and aftertreatment system, diesels also cost several thousand more than gasoline engines. And gasoline is cheaper in the U.S.

Plus 90% of american's are lazy and only drive automatics. Add to that diesels up until recently were very low power engines, which required more gears and a robust transmissions. So really you're forced to drive a manual until recently.

Enter new enhancements in the last few years. Automatic transmissions are now adopting 6 and 8 speed transmissions, which are capable of handling the torque of a diesel. 6 gears is more than a typical 5 speed manual so the transmission is able to make use of the short power band of a diesel. So that part of the equation is solved by modern standards.

The next is in 2015/2016 Euro V and EPA tier4 emissions will align with low NOx and particulate matter levels being nearly the same. This means that a diesel system designed for europe can be sold in it's current form without any reengineering. So you'll start to see more diesels enter into the united states in 2015/2016. Because with automatic transmissions, and better horsepower levels, they fit the american' lifestyle now. That couldn't be said in the early 2000's.

Your Best Friend
    Interesting and good to know. Thanks for that post.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Then there's hope for the future! Thanks for the info.

Sent from my MotoX using tapatalk

mtbr member

Thanks Neseth. Good to know. I'd love a small pick up with a diesel. I have a 2003 Tacoma. It's possible to swap a diesel into it but it's super expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    Thanks Neseth. Good to know. I'd love a small pick up with a diesel. I have a 2003 Tacoma. It's possible to swap a diesel into it but it's super expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The new Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon pickups will offer an optional turbo diesel in the 4th quarter of 2015, FWIW...that's the other vehicle I'm considering as it happens. (probably not the diesel, though)

mtbr member
    ...Just to be clear, the short wheelbase version holds a bike upright or are you talking about the long wheelbase model?
    They're both the same height so bikes should fit upright in either one. The SWB cargo area will be real close to the same length as typical bikes, though, so I won't know how well they fit til I can see one in person. I like the SWB better so I hope they'll fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I wish you could get the wagon with interior trim and rear seats but with rubber floor instead of carpet back there. That'd be perfect for bikes with the option for people when necessary.

mtbr member
    I wish you could get the wagon with interior trim and rear seats but with rubber floor instead of carpet back there. That'd be perfect for bikes with the option for people when necessary.

You can-vinyl flooring is an option in the wagon (maybe not the top of the line titanium, but for sure in the XL and XLT) You can even get vinyl in the front if you want it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast