Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Bike hauler! 2015 GMC Canyon

Picked this up last week--ordered it about 5 weeks ago. 2015 GMC Canyon SLT extended cab. Man, it's nice! Rides great, quiet, comfortable. Love it!

New Bike hauler! 2015 GMC Canyon-16034571636_985ab9ee0c_h%5B1%5D.jpg

New Bike hauler! 2015 GMC Canyon-15433652383_ea39ef4fdf_h%5B1%5D.jpg

Holds up a fat bike just fine!

New Bike hauler! 2015 GMC Canyon-15886543808_0f674b523c_h%5B1%5D.jpg

Get a Pipeline rack and a fiberglass topper in the spring and I'll be good to go!
    Last edited by SteveF; 12-24-2014 at 08:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Looking good. What motor?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Those are pretty cool, looking at either the Canyon or Colorado crew cab, with the diesel motor for next year.

mtbr member
    It's the V6--with 4wd, I thought the 4 cylinder would be a bit overtaxed. Averaging 18.6mpg so far, with a lot of in town driving, idling (while I figure out the gadget-screen) and winter blend gas-not bad! Should be better when it's broken in--I've only got about 200 miles on it so far. It's just ridiculously nice inside--I wanted to spoil myself a little since I'm approaching retirement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Those are good looking trucks. How is the size compared to the current tacomas. I really want something larger than a Tacoma but smaller than the current crop of half tons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    Those are good looking trucks. How is the size compared to the current tacomas. I really want something larger than a Tacoma but smaller than the current crop of half tons
    I haven't driven a Tacoma but according to what I've read online, the GM twins are a little bigger on the outside, and quite a bit roomier on the inside. Should be just what you're looking for, size-wise...

Your Best Friend
    I'd love a green 4 door with the diesel.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    I couldn't justify the upcharge of the diesel myself, and I didn't want to wait for it. But it's going to be a great option for sure...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Fender flares would be a nice touch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilsner1 View Post
    Fender flares would be a nice touch.
    Hmm, yeah, you could probably make a case for them. I kinda like the clean look myself...

Kneel Before Your Master
    Wow that's a nice truck man. I actually just picked up a 2005 GMC Sierra. I wanted to get something new but I just couldn't afford the payment.

mtbr member
    I'm looking really hard at them too. I drove the GMC and liked it allot but it was the fully loaded one for 40k. I'm holding out for the diesel in the chevy. The local dealer has 2 4cyl, 4x4, work trucks with no carpet and the auto locking diff I really liked that. Nice and simple like my old tacoma. The only real luxury is power windows. If the diesel isn't a 7k extra I might go for it. But the new tacoma is going to be released on the 12th I can't wait to see that. If its going to have a diesel option it could could be a hard choice. If I have to go with the 4cyl then I think the chevy will win.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Nice truck! I have a tacoma, and I'm looking hard at buying a Canyon or Colorado to replace it. I test drove one last weekend, and yep, it's a great truck. Quieter, better riding for sure. I I think the steering might be a touch better in my Tacoma, but not by much. The motor in the Chevy feels revvier than my Toyota, but it also feels more powerful when you get on it.

I really just need to decide if it's worth the hassle to do the swap, there's nothing currently wrong with the Tacoma I've got now.

mtbr member

Nice truck. These are definitely on the list of top MTB trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

Braaaapp!
    Very nice looking trucks, kind of with my sister would have held out for one (she got a Frontier this last spring, but there is a substantial price difference).

I do wish there was something out there a size smaller, I miss my old S10's and 1980's Toyotas. Even my mom's current model Tacoma seems pretty darn big.
    "It was like a German, techno-weird, acid trip." - The Hoff -

mtbr member
    It's really growing on me--I passed the 500 mile break-in period a couple of days ago so I've been getting on it a bit harder (I'm no hot rodder but what the heck) and using the cruise control. It is so smooth and quiet compared to my old truck! Really almost a luxury vehicle with room for bikes.

Couldn't hurt to wait a model year or two for those of you interested in one but not in a hurry. Mine has been trouble-free so far (touch wood) but there have been some early production glitches-mostly little stuff. I was ready to buy so I took a chance. There's also some upgrades and competition in the pipeline. It'll be interesting to see what else comes along in the next year or two, both from GM and other brands.

Adam728, yeah-it's not a small truck except in comparison with full sizers. There are rumors of a "real" small truck from Ram or Ford, possibly a unibody platform for light duty hauling and good fuel economy more than towing. Or consider a small cargo van like the Transit Connect or Ram City. I was really interested in a Transit Connect for a while but this truck just blew me away with features I couldn't get on the van...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have seen a few around, and they look very nice- I am interested in the diesel when they come out. I've owned three Tacoma's, and it's funny to read the hatred against the Colorado from the Taco fan-boys on places like TacomaWorld, even though most have never driven one. If nothing else, this may inspire other companies to bring back mid-sized trucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I have seen a few around, and they look very nice- I am interested in the diesel when they come out. I've owned three Tacoma's, and it's funny to read the hatred against the Colorado from the Taco fan-boys on places like TacomaWorld, even though most have never driven one. If nothing else, this may inspire other companies to bring back mid-sized trucks.
    Have you seen pics of the new Tacoma? It's got a grill only a mother could love. B-) (I thought the grill on my Canyon was a bit overbearing, but wow!)

I also think and hope the GM twins will encourage some competition--this is a niche that is badly in need of resuscitation...

mtbr member
    Just sharing another pic, this time in proper fat biking and Auto-4wd'in' conditions! Anyone else picked up one of these, or a Chevy Colorado?

New Bike hauler! 2015 GMC Canyon-15637162183_02a94227a0_h%5B1%5D.jpg

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    nice looking truck, my dads 2014 1500 has had 9 recalls since he purchased it in january of this year. hope you have beter luck!
    2006 Monocog Flight 26
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5
    2016 Trek Stache 5 27.5+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    nice looking truck, my dads 2014 1500 has had 9 recalls since he purchased it in january of this year. hope you have beter luck!
    Nine recalls, ouch! I read that the re-designed '14 fullsized trucks had a few issues. I hope the recalls are a sign that GM is being proactive about this stuff rather than sweeping it under the rug (like the ignition issues) This is my first GM product in decades and my first brand new GM product EVER, so I'm hoping for the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Usually there are some small recalls in a vehicle, in its first year of production or redesign, regardless of manufacturer. Im sure GM is being proactive in their approach.
    Ive always owned GM vehicles and every one of them were super dependable and long lasting.
    Currently have a 2002 Avalanche with 230k miles on it, never had one problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Usually there are some small recalls in a vehicle, in its first year of production or redesign, regardless of manufacturer. Im sure GM is being proactive in their approach.
    Ive always owned GM vehicles and every one of them were super dependable and long lasting.
    Currently have a 2002 Avalanche with 230k miles on it, never had one problem.
    Yep, always some startup issues with a new product. So far my Canyon's been good. I wouldn't normally buy something so new to the market, but I was ready to buy and this was pretty much exactly what I'd been waiting for so I took a chance. I know plenty of folks that have had no trouble with vehicles (GM and otherwise) and others that have had nothing but problems (also GM and otherwise) so I guess it's just luck of the draw. Cars are complex mechanisms, and they aren't getting any simpler--sometimes it amazes me that the things work at all! B-)

My new truck has so many features and technology in it I feel like I should take a class to learn how it all works! But it's all pretty user friendly, so I've been able to wrap my middle-aged brain around most of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Just sharing another pic, this time in proper fat biking and Auto-4wd'in' conditions!
    Nice.

@ Anderson?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInYpsi View Post
    Nice.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInYpsi View Post
    @ Anderson?
    Heh, yep. That little hill going out the dirt road from the trail head parking looked a lot less intimidating in this truck than in my old 2wd one...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast