mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Need a rack for a multitude of bike sizes

If my Tundra hadn't bit the dust on me the other day this wouldn't be an issue, but I need a rack that'll handle everything from a 16" kid's bike up to a 29er. Instead of replacing the truck I'm going to get a cheap car that's easy on gas and try to save some money for a while. Typically I'm riding by myself, but occassionally load the family up and go cruise around some greenways. That means I'm hauling my bike, my wife's, my oldest son's 20", and the little one's 16.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a Civic with a hitch rack, and would be fine with putting the smallest one in the truck if need be.

code: mtbr2011
    check out the saris freedom 4. this rack was built for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I appreciate it. That one does look perfect, but unfortunately may be out of my budget. I'll have to wait until I get a car and see how much I have to play with.

Your Best Friend
    Keep in mind that your civic will have a 1 1/4 receiver. This limits you to only a 2 bike hitch rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You can do three bikes with a 1UpUSA rack but it won't be cheap. Will also handle all of those bikes. There is actually nothing stopping you from adding more especially if they are light kids bikes.

J.

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you have to carry 4 bikes externally on something like a civic, this is where you should have a roof-rack setup for 2 of them and a receiver for a cheaper tray-style rack. It'd be cheaper than buying another car, but putting 4 bikes on the back of something like a civic is a bad idea, regardless of what rack it is. The bikes get out there far from the center of mass, the rack is out there far from the center of mass, and it's a very long lever-arm, pushing on the receiver/towbar, but also putting a lot more weight on the rear springs and lowering the rear of the car. This isn't such a big deal (but still significant) with a big heavy truck, as doing this isn't going to cause as much of a change or shift in the CG, but this is kind of the whole reason why they limit 1.25" receivers to 2 bikes. Even if you can get extensions or find one that does more, it's generally a bad idea.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    If you have to carry 4 bikes externally on something like a civic, this is where you should have a roof-rack setup for 2 of them and a receiver for a cheaper tray-style rack. It'd be cheaper than buying another car, but putting 4 bikes on the back of something like a civic is a bad idea, regardless of what rack it is. The bikes get out there far from the center of mass, the rack is out there far from the center of mass, and it's a very long lever-arm, pushing on the receiver/towbar, but also putting a lot more weight on the rear springs and lowering the rear of the car. This isn't such a big deal (but still significant) with a big heavy truck, as doing this isn't going to cause as much of a change or shift in the CG, but this is kind of the whole reason why they limit 1.25" receivers to 2 bikes. Even if you can get extensions or find one that does more, it's generally a bad idea.
    Good advice! The 2 in back 2 on top would be best. Wow I just had some dirty thoughts cross my mind...lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the input, everyone. I've been seriously considering the roof rack idea, and may end up going that route.