Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mountain Biking Newbie
    Feb 2012

Need hitch carrier (2 and 4 bike considered) - '07 Odyssey

Have been mauling over which rack to get...I sort of ruled out the 1UP since it will be quite expensive to get a full 4 bike setup....

Anyways, I've got an '07 Odyssey and I'm probably going to install the Curt 2" hitch. With that, I'm considering the Kuat NV, Thule T2 and Yakima Holdup.

My concerns are the following:
    1) How is the clearance of each of these racks when fully loaded with bikes (2 bikes or the 4 bike option)? Will it scrape?
    2) When the racks aren't loaded and I want to fold up the trays, will the bumper clear the rack?
    3) With bikes loaded (2 or 4 bike option), am I able to tilt the rack enough to open the rear door completely?

I couldn't find any close-up pics of any '07 Odysseys with aftermarket hitches and one of these three platforms.
    2011 Specialized Epic Comp 26
    1994 Specialized Hard Rock FS

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    1UpUSA. SHouldn't scrape, the rack is modular and bikes further out are actually higher up. Folds up to clear your bumper no problem. It drops down to allow the door or hatch to clear. There is a 45 degree position and a full down position. Doing it depends on if you can pick up the two bikes or not. The rack is aluminum so that part will be lighter than the other racks you mentioned. Also, because it's modular, you can have as much or as little rack as you need. It is, however, not cheap. That said, it's top drawer.

This thread will have all the answers to your questions.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

Mountain Biking Newbie
    Feb 2012
    The 1UpUSA is quite expensive once I get enough for 4 bikes. The thing is that the rack wouldn't be used too much since it will go on the minivan and will be used for family trips. For local riding, I have an old roof rack on my sedan that I use to cart my bike around. The goal is to find something that is cheap (but stable and secure) that will add a few conveniences while travelling (like folding up once unloaded, tilt away to get to rear, etc).

I agree the 1UpUSA would work great, but the cost is too great for me and my goals. If my daily driver were some sort of SUV (or something with a hitch), I'd really consider getting one.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If you're ruling out the 1Up (which is crazy since it's far and away the best product on the market), I don't think it much matters between your remaining choices. Get whatever is cheaper.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gsrblack View Post
    I agree the 1UpUSA would work great, but the cost is too great for me and my goals. If my daily driver were some sort of SUV (or something with a hitch), I'd really consider getting one.
    I get where you're coming from, but a 4-place 1up is about the same price as the NV...

Consider resale too. Since 1up's never go up for sale, they command a much higher resale. Rough and tumble:

1up: ($520 + $199 + $199) * 75% ~= $688 --> $230 cost of ownership

Kuat: ($549 + $389) * 50% = $469 --> $469 cost of ownership
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

I'm confused, you asked for information about a hitch rack and you said you are going to install a hitch. All the racks you asked about are hitch racks. So why is the hitch the issue then?

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I'm confused, you asked for information about a hitch rack and you said you are going to install a hitch. All the racks you asked about are hitch racks. So why is the hitch the issue then?

J.

He means if his daily driver had a hitch too he could justify getting the 1up that would be used on both vehicles. But since the daily driver already has a roof rack, the hitch rack will be seldom used, and only used on the minivan.

OP, look into the Swagman/Hollywood/Sportrack racks. They are light, some are modular (2 or 4 bikes), some fold down, they fold up small for storage. Platform Rack Hitch Bike Racks | etrailer.com

Mountain Biking Newbie
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post

J.
    The thread here is to discuss my minivan and getting a hitch rack for it. The point I am trying to make is that this is not my daily driver and will only be used to take family trips with 4 bikes. I can't justify the cost of the 1UpUSA when all the other racks I can get 20% off.

Now if I had a daily driver that has a hitch, then I'd consider a single 1Up. But I already have a roof rack on my daily driver which I use.

Mountain Biking Newbie
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    I get where you're coming from, but a 4-place 1up is about the same price as the NV...

Consider resale too. Since 1up's never go up for sale, they command a much higher resale. Rough and tumble:

1up: ($520 + $199 + $199) * 75% ~= $688 --> $230 cost of ownership

Kuat: ($549 + $389) * 50% = $469 --> $469 cost of ownership
    If only 1Up would have discounts that would put it more in-line (cost-wise) with the Kuat. I can get discounts on Kuat, Thule and Yakima, but not 1Up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If only 1Up would have discounts that would put it more in-line (cost-wise) with the Kuat. I can get discounts on Kuat, Thule and Yakima, but not 1Up.
    Rule # 1 of sales - if they are standing in line, raise the price.

Rule #2 of sales - Only give discounts if you have to.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Using my swag math,

If you can get the 4-place Kuat for $460 you'd get the same cost of ownership as the 1up... even if my swag math is off, I doubt you'd get any other rack cheap enough.

Anyway... enough beating of the horse.

Good luck in your quest.
    --------------

mtbr member
    You could sell the roof rack and use the money to buy a hitch for the DD...

Neither the Kuat NV nor IupUSA are light racks. They are both built for durability at the expense of weight. Both are close to 50Lbs for just the base two-bike unit, just like the Thule T2.

Kuat: Nifty seatpost clamp repair stand. Cool colors.
    1upUSA: No plastic parts to render your rack useless in years to come.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The thread here is to discuss my minivan and getting a hitch rack for it. The point I am trying to make is that this is not my daily driver and will only be used to take family trips with 4 bikes. I can't justify the cost of the 1UpUSA when all the other racks I can get 20% off.

Now if I had a daily driver that has a hitch, then I'd consider a single 1Up. But I already have a roof rack on my daily driver which I use.
    I guess the lesson I learned was that I had another rear hitch rack which I was never happy with. Eventually it pissed me off enough, I went and bought the 1UpUSA. So the 20% discount was way swamped out by the cost of another rack that I still have in the garage taking up space. If I had bought the right rack the first time, I would have saved a ton of money.

J.

Slow
    Jan 2011
    I have an 07 Odyssey with a 2 inch Hidden Hitch and I picked up a Yakima Holdup and +2 add on this summer. I needed something to carry more bikes than the 2 tray roof rack setup on my other car.

My comments apply only to this rack and this hitch on this car.

1) How is the clearance of each of these racks when fully loaded with bikes (2 bikes or the 4 bike option)? Will it scrape?
    Clearance is fine and I have not scraped anything yet in a dozen trips including a long one up to Maine this summer.

2) When the racks aren't loaded and I want to fold up the trays, will the bumper clear the rack?
    The rack clears the bumper when folded up.

3) With bikes loaded (2 or 4 bike option), am I able to tilt the rack enough to open the rear door completely?
    I'm fairly sure I cannot open the hatch when my bike is in the closest tray. I'll check tonight if I can.

I couldn't find any close-up pics of any '07 Odysseys with aftermarket hitches and one of these three platforms.

Mountain Biking Newbie
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouchNJ View Post
    I have an 07 Odyssey with a 2 inch Hidden Hitch and I picked up a Yakima Holdup and +2 add on this summer. I needed something to carry more bikes than the 2 tray roof rack setup on my other car.

My comments apply only to this rack and this hitch on this car.

Clearance is fine and I have not scraped anything yet in a dozen trips including a long one up to Maine this summer.

The rack clears the bumper when folded up.

I'm fairly sure I cannot open the hatch when my bike is in the closest tray. I'll check tonight if I can.

Awesome, thanks for the picture....if you don't mind checking later, please let me know if the door can open with a bike in the closest tray....i'm guessing it might work on a 2 bike config, but the 4-bike tilt may hit the ground.

Once I get my tray mounted, I will try out one of my friend's Holdup, but he only has the 2-bike tray.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey as well. If you are concerned about clearance, the Honda factory hitch will ride higher than any of the aftermarket hitched. The Honda hitch is fully contained within the bumper with just a cut out for the 2 inch receiver. Another thing to consider, four bikes plus a platform rack put some off a lot of cantilevered weight on the back end of the softly sprung Odyssey, you may very much end up needing airbags inside the coil springs. I have had to go that route to address the sag of a fully loaded van. The air bags work very well but it is another thing to consider.

I have 1up as well. It is very compact to store which cannot be said for many of the other three or four place racks.

Slow
    Jan 2011
    Bumper clearance when folded up

There is not enough clearance to open the hatch with the +2. The tail end is on the ground.

I took off the +2 and there was still not enough room. It is really easy to offload the bike so I would just pull it if I need to get in there quickly.

mtbr member
    I'll sale U my Thule T4 for 450...just like new...I'm in Taos....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need hitch carrier (2 and 4 bike considered) - '07 Odyssey-dscn3527.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladljon View Post
    So you can get a 1up?
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ladljon View Post
    Sweet Nomad!
    --------------

mtbr member
    UR right bigflamingtac..But I do like the availability to lock the T4...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need hitch carrier (2 and 4 bike considered) - '07 Odyssey-dscn3526.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouchNJ View Post
    Bumper clearance when folded up

There is not enough clearance to open the hatch with the +2. The tail end is on the ground.

I took off the +2 and there was still not enough room. It is really easy to offload the bike so I would just pull it if I need to get in there quickly.

In general, everyone that is buying a hitch rack for the first time wants the thing to tilt so they can get the rear hatch open. Then, when they have the rack, they discover what a pain in the neck it is to do it that way. Usually the release mechanism is near the hitch and is difficult to get to. Also, it entails having to pick up and drop the rack with the weight of as many bikes as you have on the rack plus the weight of the rack. Usually it takes two people - one to release the mechanism and one to muscle the rack up and down. So this is a feature that is pretty much useless unless it's just a single bike.

In practice what is far easier and faster to do is to remove the most inboard bike and then open the gate do what you need to do and then close the gate and reload the bike. In most of the newer non "hang from the frame" style of racks, unloading and loading the bike is less than a 30s affair easily.

So after having had a number of racks, I'd say the tilt feature is next to worthless but the flip up feature is necessary.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    With the T2, its not that hard to tilt a rack loaded with 4 bikes. Can be done by one person.
    1. Tie a cord/rope to the release latch and snake it to the outermost tray.
    2. When ready to lower rack, remove lower safety pin.
    3. While standing behind the outermost bike, take some weight off the rack by lifting it a up bit.
    4. Pull the rope to release the tilt mechanism.
    5. Gently lower the rack.
    6. To raise the rack back up. Just lift until the release mechanism auto latch itself.
    7. Reinsert safety pin from step 2.
    8. Done.

Secure the rope to the outer tray for future use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    With the T2, its not that hard to tilt a rack loaded with 4 bikes. Can be done by one person.
    1. Tie a cord/rope to the release latch and snake it to the outermost tray.
    2. When ready to lower rack, remove lower safety pin.
    3. While standing behind the outermost bike, take some weight off the rack by lifting it a up bit.
    4. Pull the rope to release the tilt mechanism.
    5. Gently lower the rack.
    6. To raise the rack back up. Just lift until the release mechanism auto latch itself.
    7. Reinsert safety pin from step 2.
    8. Done.

Secure the rope to the outer tray for future use.
    That doesn't qualify as "easy" for most people. Far easier to remove the most inboard bike.

In addition, most four up steel racks are about 70-80lbs, add the 4 bikes on there that would be a minimum of about 60 lbs (road bikes) to 150lbs (heavier MTBs) makes for a significant lift. Granted, it's on a fulcrum but it's still pretty heavy for most intents and purposes. Just remove the first bike. That's easy and fast and pretty much minimal lifting.

J.

As an aside, (having just put a Curt hitch on a 2007 Odyssey this spring) If you live anywhere where road salt is used, there's a good chance the threads on your frame nuts which you bolt the hitch to are completely corroded and need to be re-tapped. If so, you'll need an M12 1.25 tap, and can get a cheapy at Pep Boys for $4.99.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast