mtbr member
    Aug 2012

need help with rack setup for 2012 outback

Hi all,

I've just bought a 2012 outback and wondering about the rack situation. I currently have a Thule system (450 feet/square bars, 2 echelon fork mounts). On occasion I'd like to carry 4 bikes or 2 bikes and a medium cargo box.

I need to replace my square bars (rusting) and the 2 bike trays (clamping mechanism is failing), so I have an opportunity to re-evaluate everything. I also drive 100 miles a day so noise and mpg are to be considered.

I suspect that for 4 bikes or 2 bikes +cargo, I can't use the factory rack?.
    I'm also concerned that I might limit my bike mount options if I go with an aero bar vs round/square bar..or will most new rack now work with any bar?

I've been looking at the thule aero/square bars, yakima round/whipbars, yakima landing pad+round bar. Unfortunately no landing pad with whispars, at least yet anyway. Although I don't necessarily need a landing pad for just bikes and boxes.

What do you recommend?

thanks
    capall

mtbr member
    RockyMounts TieRod- car racks, bike racks, roof racks, bike carriers, bike mounts

On my 2014 Outback, I have a Thule Sonic XL topbox, and I can carry one additional bike (I have a 2" receiver and a Yakima Holdup) on the roof using the tierod mount, on the stock crossbars. YMMV.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member

need help with rack setup for 2012 outback

North shore 4 (NSR-4) rack on the hitch (if you carry mtbs only), box on stock rack?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Call Cracks and Racks, it escapes me at the moment but there was a retrofit kit made for Outbacks from both Thule and Yakima. You keep your OEM bars mounted facing front-back and then the aftermarket bars clamp to those and you can go wide if you want. I thiiiiiink you can do the quiet Thule bars in this setup.

I also think that Yakima made a setup that plugs into the pivot points of the OEM bars to give you more width front-to-back. But I forget.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

I'd suggest getting a hitch rack for day-to-day use. Sooo much easier.

You can get a couple minimal bike mounts for occasional use that will be less likely to get in the way of the box when you want to use it.

I recently moved my bikes to the hitch primarily. Got a 2 bike Kuat NV, since that's the most we carry probably better than 99% of the time. Kept the crossbars for carrying the canoe, but at some point, I want to get a couple small bike mounts, something like the Yakima Boa, for the occasions where I'd want to carry a couple other bikes. Of course, the only way to use that mount with aero bars would be to also throw a cargo basket up top, which defeats the point of getting aero bars.

I've personally had good results with regular square bars and a fairing. Got that on both cars and noise has never been an issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Guys,
    I know hitch vs roof have each their trade-offs, but I at least driving into the garage roof is entirely ones own fault unlike a rear-ender. Purely a preference, though,

I've been also looking at the 1upusa quik rack, they seem to be loved by anyone who tries them.

It seems with a cargo box, max will be one bike mount on factory bars, and probably only a fork mount at that, as space is minimal. 4 bike sis a possibility if you go front to back with the mounts. looks like aftermarket bars are the way to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a Subaru to if u plan on putting Mtb on rack your gonna drop mpg to like 18mpg with the bike frames of the mtb being wide than road bikes frames. So i took my roof rack off mine and use the 1upusa rack on mine doesn't affect gas mileage with bikes on still get 25mpg. U can use the factory bars for the roof box if u need more space.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I have an Outback as well and also use the 1Up rack as it is better for the gas mileage and quick access. I see the debate between roof and hitch racks and which is better but it all depends on your personal preference. See this set up for another idea...Who else here drives a Subaru?
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT