mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Need help finding the right rack.

I'm looking for something really specific and after trying more than one system I figured I would reach out for help.

There is a nice set of trails 15min from where I work so sometimes I will just take my bike with me to work and hit the trails after. (less so now that there is no daylight after work). I've also got a full suspension bike and I've never been happy with the way it sits on the common two bar design. So here are my requirements. I'm stumped and really could use the help.

*Hitch mounted
    *can fit a full suspension bike securely
    *bike can be locked into rack
    *Holds at least 3 bikes but would much rather it fit 4

My most recent attempt was the swagman xp. It had everything I was looking for and claimed to fit a 2" tube but wasn't even closing to holding my rocky mountain element.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Ride Responsibly

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I saw that, it looks like it would work. It also looks like it would be over $1000 after taxes. I was hoping to spend a little less than that. I do appreciate the heads up though

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No taxes or shipping.

But you're right, they are expensive. They are worth everything they charge and then some.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Also expensive, the Kuat NV holds two bikes and sold seperatly extension piece that will hold two more, total of four bikes. I like mine but it is $$ great quality.

mtbr member
    1 up rack hands down I've had em all and 1 up and kuats are the best. This is how I rank the hitch racks in order. If it ain't on the list there's probably a reason.
    1. 1up
    2 kuat
    3. Thule

Remember you get what you pay for.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The Kuat looks really cool, like hot cool, but every user I've talked to says it's flimsy and they'd rather have my T2, that said, look at the Northshore rack as well. It's rather simple and very strong/sturdy. It doesn't have any locking mechanism, but then again ANY rack locking mechanism isn't worth anything, it's how you secure them with cables/chains to your vehicle.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    wow the northshore one may be exactly what i need and half the price of everything else + the 2 part add on i'd need. with that much savings I don't mind using a chain against the center bar.

Bear

1upua

Absolutely no contest.

1upsa.com

Hands down the best rack on the market.

-full sus...no problem.
    -road bike...no problem.
    -fat bike....no problem
    -20" kids bike...no problem.

100% made in the USA.

Stop your search.
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by reskar View Post
    wow the northshore one may be exactly what i need and half the price of everything else + the 2 part add on i'd need. with that much savings I don't mind using a chain against the center bar.
    It works really well. It takes a couple times to get used to how you turn the wheel to get it in there, but after that it's real easy and solid. It's strengths are, well strength, and being able to load a bunch of bikes in a relatively small area. It's a pretty ingenious way to do it. I've used them several times. The drawbacks are lifting your bike, but it's going to be easier than lifting an equivalent bike on the roof of an SUV still (maybe not so much for a car, about equal).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaryenbruch View Post
    Absolutely no contest.

1upsa.com

Hands down the best rack on the market.

-full sus...no problem.
    -road bike...no problem.
    -fat bike....no problem
    -20" kids bike...no problem.

100% made in the USA.

Stop your search.
    Make up the difference in money between the 1up and the other QUALITY racks out there, and then you got yourself a DEAL!

mtbr member
    Delete duplicate

mtbr member
    You get what you pay for and I personally would not skimp on a peice of equipment that is supposed to get my bikes from point a-b. remember those are your babies that cost you an awful lot of money that are hanging off your car so do them and yourself a favor and just get a 1up. Your bikes will thank you

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by vapezilla View Post
    You get what you pay for and I personally would not skimp on a peice of equipment that is supposed to get my bikes from point a-b. remember those are your babies that cost you an awful lot of money that are hanging off your car so do them and yourself a favor and just get a 1up. Your bikes will thank you
    Skimping would be going with the saris hatch-rack, some of the "J"/"T"-style hanging racks, a few of the cheapest tray-style racks, especially if you are moving heavier bikes.

On the other hand, going with a decent tray rack from yakima, thule, and others is not "skimping", at least not by any context that a reasonable person would have. These racks are pretty solid and reliable. Yes, you can rationalize that your 200-300 dollars over what we bought was money well spent, and there are some nicer features, but for the majority of us we've already decided those are just not worth it and do not offer enough of a benefit.

mtbr member
    I've had racks from Thule, Yakima, saris, kuat , and 1up and out of them all the best was 1up and then I would put down a few notches would be kuat with a close 3 rd to thule. the other 2 yakima and saris are either a joke or a big pos. those are all the brands I have experienced so yes spending less then a Thule t2 is skimping unless your bike is from Wally World. I'm just stating this from actually owning those brands however I can't speak for any other companies

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I ended up ordering the northshore, It looked to be what I wanted and not crazy out of my price range. thank you all for the useful input.