Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 3 Hatch

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Mazda 3 Hatch

I drive a 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback

Will a bike fit in the back with the front wheel off and the seats down?

What kind of bike racks is everyone using?

Is it okay to use a roof rack with a sunroof?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yes.

Hitch or roof? Saris Thelma on the back and Thule Sidearms on the roof.

Yes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by timk125
    I drive a 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback

Will a bike fit in the back with the front wheel off and the seats down?

What kind of bike racks is everyone using?

Is it okay to use a roof rack with a sunroof?

Thanks in advance
    I used the thule stuff on the roof before losing it to go with a hitch. The roof setup was loud as hell and cut gas mileage a lot. Get the curt hitch from hitchsource.com and your 2bike hitch rack of choice and don't look back. I really like the raxter racks. Bike will fit inside fine with the front wheel off but car gets dirty and who wants to take their wheel off constantly?! My .02

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I went with a hitch mount on my Speed3 mainly because I have a long freeway commute and didn't want the gas mileage hit with the roof rack. My old WRX got ~21 on the freeway with a roof rack and about 25 without it!
    FWIW, I went with a Thule hitch mount mainly because it was on sale at REI. I don't think you can go wrong with either Thule or Yakima.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have a 2010 3 5 door with a Thule 640R foot pack and aero bars. I was thinking about a hitch mount until I was rear ended in my Matrix and the car was totaled. Not only would the bikes been destroyed (not the main problem) but they would have been rammed through the rear window and sent more debris into the passenger compartment. Just my .02 and it may not be worth that much I still average about 24 or 25 mpg and can get 28 on the highway without bikes on, fairing is a must though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazn_84
    I still average about 24 or 25 mpg and can get 28 on the highway without bikes on, fairing is a must though
    I'm getting about 30mpg with my '07 Speed3!!! Pretty amazing mileage for a little car that has such a hooligan spirit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Boognish
    I'm getting about 30mpg with my '07 Speed3!!! Pretty amazing mileage for a little car that has such a hooligan spirit.

Must be nice, my only beef with any of the Mazdas I have owned is they don't always get the best mileage, but oh well I still love them. We just picked up an 07 CX7 with the 2.3 turbo and it's a lot of fun to drive. Haven't checked the mileage on it yet.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    OP, keep in mind you can easily fit your bike inside with the front wheel off. I can fit my large 29r with only the left side rear seat folded down and a child seat installed in the right side. Plenty of room with both sides folded down! Shove the back wheel in first with the drive-side facing up..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hi,
    I am going to buy a new car (says on the title), but does anyone have problem with this vehicle?My other options are VW GTi and Mini Cooper but my friends said they have heard nothing but problems.I need opinions before i purchase the car. (for those who owns Mazda vehicles).Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by irvinelmo
    Hi,
    I am going to buy a new car (says on the title), but does anyone have problem with this vehicle?My other options are VW GTi and Mini Cooper but my friends said they have heard nothing but problems.I need opinions before i purchase the car. (for those who owns Mazda vehicles).Thanks.
    Mine is an 06 with ~ 50k - the only negative to the car IMO is the wind/road noise. It's really only obvious on the hwy. The designers put everything in the motor and suspension and skimped on the cabin a bit (i.e., insulation in the doors)

I have no other complaints. You won't find a better handling (fun to drive) car for the same money. It does wear out tires in ~ 25k so keep that in mind when comparing cost of ownership to other econo cars.. and the tires are 205/50/17s which are usually pricier than other econo car tire sizes. The designers put more negative camber in the rear wheels to make the car handle better - but it causes premature wear on the inside. I rotate every oil change (5k) and that helps extend tire life a little.

BTW - my co-worker has a mini with low mileage and has had nothing but problems with it..she can't wait to get rid of it..
    Last edited by 29ftw; 08-12-2010 at 05:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by irvinelmo
    Hi,
    I have owned 5 Mazda's and 2 of them were Mazda 3's (an 04 and currently own the 2010 pictured above) and have never had to have anything other than one bad sensor repaired. I would do some more research before buying either of your other two choices, especially the Mini. The 3's are hard to beat for the money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My wife and I both have Mazda3s, a 2005 hatch and a 2006 sedan. I had the radio display go out on mine (it still played and changed stations) after a few hundred miles, so I'll chalk that up to a fluke. Other than that no problems to report.

mtbr member
    i have an 08 speed 3. i take the bike out using my wife's ford escape. hahaha...
    it's fun to do bad things

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I used to carry my bike in the back with the seats folded down, fit fine just a little annoying. got an old thule rack, dont evne know the model shortly after that, its a lot easier and doesnt harm gas mileage with city driving.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

opening the hatchback

Hey all,

Anyone know if there are issues with roof mounted bike racks and opening the hatchback?

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I don't have any issues with mine hatch opening with the rack itself. My 29er has a thru axle fork on it and if I don't put the adapter on just right my spoiler can hit my back wheel, not enough to keep it from opening, just enough to come into contact with it. If I put the adapter on right there's an inch of clearance. My 26" bike isn't even close to the spoiler.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I havent had any clearance issues with 26" bikes and my thule rack.
    Matt
    2010 riding
    2009 Fisher Marlin Disc - 815 miles
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite - 730 miles

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ftw
    Mine is an 06 with ~ 50k - the only negative to the car IMO is the wind/road noise. It's really only obvious on the hwy. The designers put everything in the motor and suspension and skimped on the cabin a bit (i.e., insulation in the doors)

I have no other complaints. You won't find a better handling (fun to drive) car for the same money. It does wear out tires in ~ 25k so keep that in mind when comparing cost of ownership to other econo cars.. and the tires are 205/50/17s which are usually pricier than other econo car tire sizes. The designers put more negative camber in the rear wheels to make the car handle better - but it causes premature wear on the inside. I rotate every oil change (5k) and that helps extend tire life a little.

BTW - my co-worker has a mini with low mileage and has had nothing but problems with it..she can't wait to get rid of it..
    I have an '05 and I'd characterize it the exact same way. Just thought I'd mention to you -for the tire wear and rear camber - I just installed some adjustable upper control arms in the rear and had the camber dialed in to some more reasonable specs (and will hopefully extend the life of the tires).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I get my alignment done once a year ($60 at the dealership) and I have gotten about 40k out of each set of tires. Tire wear is also a function of road conditions and driving habbits.

namagomi
    Wait, there is a hitch mount on a mazda 3? Since when?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ^You can buy a hitch for a Mada 3 yes...

I have a 2005 Mazda 3 5 door and when I first got it I would load the bike into the back. With one wheel off I could fit any bike in there, including my downhill bike.

But having to take a wheel off at the end of a ride is annoying as all hell, not to mention how dirty bikes will make your car (even if not muddy, the dirt still gets in there). So I went the route of buying a hitch and a cheap Sportrack tray style rack. It has been awesome so far, no regrets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Wait, there is a hitch mount on a mazda 3? Since when?
    http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2006205101

Since the Internet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I actually need to have my alignment checked but you nailed it (below quote) - I drive like an a-hole. Partly because the mazda3 begs to be driven fast thru turns.. I would trade some handling (a fix for the rear camber) for longer tire life.

Quote Originally Posted by willevans
    driving habits.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by willevans
    Funny guy!

I was only wondering if the OEM mazda 3 came with a place to put a hitch. I had little doubt you could go buy the $200 aftermarket hitch - but there are probably warranty and low-speed rear ending implications there which is why OEM is attractive to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Funny guy!

I was only wondering if the OEM mazda 3 came with a place to put a hitch. I had little doubt you could go buy the $200 aftermarket hitch - but there are probably warranty and low-speed rear ending implications there which is why OEM is attractive to me.
    I'm just messing with ya. Unfortunately I know exactly the affect a trailer hitch has on the ability of the Mazda3 to take a rear end collision. I was recently (June) rear-ended at 15 mph (estimated) and it flattened the trunk like a milk carton. The hitch was slightly bent, but didn't seem to help or hurt the affect of "Becky" on my ass.

Before

After

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast