mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Maximum bikes and cargo on roof (skybox + 3 bikes)

I'm gearing up for a move across the country. I'm wondering if someone has carried 3 bikes and a Yakima skybox 16 on the roof before. I drive a 2014 subaru forester, so I think 66" bars would be the absolute limit. I already have a Kuat NV that is filled with bikes on the back, so that is out of the question. Lets see how many bikes people have fit on top of the roof + storage.

Did I catch a niner?
    Is renting a U-Haul trailer out of the question? I am not sure what the tounge/load weight of a Forester is but I would imagine it could be a bit easier to get a small enclosed with a surge brake system.

EDIT: I've carried 3 bikes plus a roof box on my Honda Element, 2 on the rear one up top. I have a Sportrack Aero though not a Yakima. Was not cross country I drove about 300 total miles there and back, with 3 people in the car plus their gear.

We are talking different animals in cars though. I would think your Subaru would do better then my Element especially in the power/gearing department.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Re: Maximum bikes and cargo on roof (skybox + 3 bikes)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    Is renting a U-Haul trailer out of the question? I am not sure what the tounge/load weight of a Forester is but I would imagine it could be a bit easier to get a small enclosed with a surge brake system.

Just a thought.
    I could use a uhaul but I would be limited to a very small trailer and would rather invest the money in permanent racks for the car. Plus I would loose the bike carrying capacity on my hitch (I have 7 bikes I need to get accross the country)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am pretty sure you could do it, but have never tried. I would pick up the 78" cross bars, and cut them down a bit so that they are the exact width of your vehicle (to keep you legal-somewhere around 70"). Then, mount (from left to right or right to left) bike, box, bike, bike.

This will be pushing your Forester's capacity due to drag and, I presume, weight inside. That said, I probably would do it, just reduce your speed, which will push your engine much less (air drag is proportionate to the square of your speed; if you double your speed, you quadruple your drag).

Good luck!