Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mountain Man Dan

Max Speed with a Roof Rack?

I have a Yakima roof rack with the High Roller attachments ( 2 bikes ) and I'm afraid to go over 70mph.

Whats your max speed with a RR on, and is it safe? They sway quite a bit at 70mph...but it's so hard to go so slow on a highway.

mtbr member
    I have Viper mounts.

I may or may not have at some point in time been in excess of 100 mph with bikes on top. Maybe.

No problem.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yakima 100mph

Thule 55mph

I don't go over 70 with mine but I have been close to 100 before. I had a Thule with 2 sets of skis and a snowboard fly off my old VW Jetta at 65mph. Was properly installed and inspected less than 60 miles before.

Mountain Man Dan
    How much torque can they take? Trying to merge on a highway and whatnot, I try not to push it past half throttle, seems like it puts a lot of torque on the rack when I stomp on it...

ballbuster
    as long as its installed correctly, I really wouldn't worry about it in this country. I mean, you might get a headwind blast of 30mph on top of your freeway speed.

I think the German TUV standard is like 125 mph. I would be surprised if any major brands didn't meet that standard.

Also, your car can generate forces excess of 1g under hard braking or cornering. I highly doubt you're going to even reach 2/3 of that even in an $200k supercar with a 0-60 of 3.5 seconds.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 06-10-2011 at 02:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    the actual bike rack I would not worry about. the way the rack is held onto your car is going to be the weak spot.

Mountain Man Dan
    It's clamped on to the window sill above the window.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I personally had a bad experience withthat type of attachment. my new yakima stuff I used the yakima track and actually bolted it to my roofline.

Mountain Man Dan
    Yeah. I can't do the bolted. I only put mine on for the weekends, or when I ride a bike should I say. Then it comes off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Missy Giove (infamous, pirahna wearing world champion downhiller from the 90's) told me she drove her Volvo 140mph with a bike, using a Fork Up on her fork mounted rack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pbbreath View Post
    Yakima 100mph

Thule 55mph

I don't go over 70 with mine but I have been close to 100 before. I had a Thule with 2 sets of skis and a snowboard fly off my old VW Jetta at 65mph. Was properly installed and inspected less than 60 miles before.
    I suppose we should consider that the skis and a snowboard were very likely generating enough lift at that speed to rip the rack off.

I have seen enough Thule rack setups versus Yakima to have more faith in the Thule mountings, but I wouldn't go so far as to say one is wildly better than the other.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Also, yeah I think some of us in here have actual roof racks mounted to rails and/or fixed mount points, whereas others have the clamp above the window thing going on, and I wouldn't put as much faith in those, but I would still imagine if properly set up they could handle the higher end of highway cruising speeds. There's got to be some sort of margin of error built in to them.

mtbr member
    My Thule Big Mouth carriers may or may not have seen in excess of 100mph on more than one occasion. They're mounted to Yakima bars that are attached to my factory roof rails.

mtbr member
    Drive it like you stole it...

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Mach 1?

mtbr member
    A friend of mine dropped a brand new Rockhopper off of his Thule going 80 on the freeway. I'll stick to my Copperheads and not worry about a thing!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i drive around 80mph, no problems at all with my yakima roof rack, 2 bikes attached via raptors. considering that my car's suspension is incredibly stiff, im impressed how the rack stayed put.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have been on the Autobahn with my buddies S4 sedan with a Thule roof rack holding two road bikes with fork-mount trays, we cruised at all day at 90-105mph without issues except for an annoying whisle from about 70-85mph... we just turned up the stereo, and above 85mph you didn't hear it anymore.

I have personally seen a glass sunroof exit a vehicle in front of me at about 90mph. Luckily it flew over the top of my GTI. Had to buy new underwear after that one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    have a thule big mouth and consistently drove 80+ on a trip up to NH. no problems at all

mtbr member
    pegged

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've done 104 mph with a Thule rack on top
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I have the same set up on my CRV and I go 80 down the Interstate. I also have not had a problem carrying a 17 ft canoe at freeway speed. The racks are bolted to the roof though

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    95 mph with a Thule rack on top of a VW Passat. Late to pick up my wife from the airport on the way back from the Welsh Hills.

Bunny Hoppin Gators
    i always take my front wheel and seat off and just put them in the back of my explorer upside down and strap them to the "o **** grips", the safest way possible to transport them imo, i have been looking at roof racks though they are pretty bad ass

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i have a thule rack (bolted to roofline) on my 04 Mazda3 and do freeway speeds no problem with the bikes on. I also use the rack to carry my kayak on but dont exceed 65mph.

It pains me to admit this but fwiw, i recently tried to park my car in the garage with my three week old GT sensor still on the roof. bike is in the shop but the rack itself was only a little tweaked. One of the boltholes on the roofline bent up but i was able to hammer it into a semblance of its original self. The carrier itself is in the trash, the back end of it bent and put a nice crater in my roof.
    2000 GF Kaitai
    2011 GT Sensor 3.0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast