mtbr member
    Dec 2007

looking for hitch rack for euro ball hitch

I have a super nice Bosal ball hitch on my VW TDI ... not a North American standard square hitch mount.

It's great for towing, yet there are zero options for US made hitch racks that clamp on the ball. In Europe there are many options, even by Thule and other makers.

Anyone have any leads on one?
    Selma Ti.

Elitest thrill junkie
    So order it from Europe?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    yes, i agree with jayem, but it will be cheaper to start over with US components.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'll probably end up ordering a Thule or Bosal rack from Europe even though shipping is expensive.
    I'd never go back to US aftermarket hitch option after using the Bosal. It bolts right to the frame and feels much more sturdy. Plus the hitch mount is much higher, not sagging .
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Don't all hitches mount to the frame? And, what's the point of the euro ball being "much more sturdy" if nothing is conveniently available?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Don't all hitches mount to the frame? And, what's the point of the euro ball being "much more sturdy" if nothing is conveniently available?
    racerwad, clearly you do not understand the VW/Audi culture.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    racerwad, clearly you do not understand the VW/Audi culture.
    Oh no, I do. I've been a member of the Vortex for a long time. Just don't understanding paying extra to mount a Thule rack.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    adinpapa, whatever you choose, i hope it works well for you, even if it was you who neg-repped me. either way you go, it seems like you recognize a quality rack and will get something that you are happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Oh no, I do. I've been a member of the Vortex for a long time. Just don't understanding paying extra to mount a Thule rack.
    different people like different stuff or different ways of doing things, i guess, and it makes the world more interesting that way. i'm glad not everyone is like me. thanks for being a good sport.
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 12-01-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Slow
    Jan 2011
    I love the European hitch ball system and have a Westfalia tow rig on my BMW. Thule US won't sell you one of their tow ball racks but you can order from a supplier across the pond. Demon Tweeks/Demon Cycles carries a bunch of Thule towball racks and claim they will ship to the US. I like the Thule Easybase system that lets you use it as a bike rack, cargo tray, or box.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    RetroGrouch, thanks for the tip.

PFJones out of UK will ship for about $100
    Tow Bar Mounted Carriers

The Easybase system looks really practical- can be used as a general utility platform when not as a bike rack. Only down side is that I don't think it folds up... and the conversion from 7 pin round socket to US style plug for electricity.

Have you used it?

I'm leaning toward the Bosal system:

Bicycle carriers for towbars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails looking for hitch rack for euro ball hitch-screen-shot-2012-12-04-10.36.18-am.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i agree, yes, i agree with jayem, but it will be cheaper to start over with US components.