mtbr member

Locking Rack for Toyota Tacoma Mini Pick Up 1995-2004?

Hey Hows it going? Just joined the forum. Looking for locking rack that locks to Toy Tacoma truck, that has locking skewers.

So far I have found;

Yakima locking bed heads
    Swagman pick up rack
    Thule pick up rack

Anybody have any good ideas or suggestions? Rack builds? Some input would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i have a 99 tacoma with a toolbox in the back, i would be interested as well.

mtbr member
    Because you have a toolbox. I would perhaps, recommend a Yakima locking bed head "bolt on." I believe there cheaper. If you don't mind drilling in the toolbox. It's bolted, and at least you don't have to drill into the bed. I haven't found any backward compatible locking skewers noted for the locking Swagman bar(2 bikes). There is always the locking Thule bar for an extra 100.00 at appprox. 200.00.price point (locking bar and locking skewers, multiple bikes). I don't really think any of these locking racks and brackets are full proof in terms of theft. I personally didn't plan on having my bike in the back of the truck for any duration without me being within the area of the vehicle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by haulinazz2112 View Post
    Because you have a toolbox. I would perhaps, recommend a Yakima locking bed head "bolt on." I believe there cheaper. If you don't mind drilling in the toolbox. It's bolted, and at least you don't have to drill into the bed. I haven't found any backward compatible locking skewers noted for the locking Swagman bar(2 bikes). There is always the locking Thule bar for an extra 100.00 at appprox. 200.00.price point (locking bar and locking skewers, multiple bikes). I don't really think any of these locking racks and brackets are full proof in terms of theft. I personally didn't plan on having my bike in the back of the truck for any duration without me being within the area of the vehicle.
    yeah i was trying to find a good way to mount it without taking the front tire off, but i ended up going with the locking yakima blockhead and will bolt it to the toolbox. i am not planning on leaving the bike alone for a long period of time either, will mostly leave it in the truck when I am at work so i can hit the trails when I get off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregers05 View Post
    yeah i was trying to find a good way to mount it without taking the front tire off, but i ended up going with the locking yakima blockhead and will bolt it to the toolbox. i am not planning on leaving the bike alone for a long period of time either, will mostly leave it in the truck when I am at work so i can hit the trails when I get off.
    From what I've seen. I don't think we would have enough room with a tool box to mount the bike with two wheels. Unless you totally fabb'd something or removed the toolbox, or found a roof rack or hitch assembly?.?. ither way we would have to contend with the exposure of the bike to the public. Hell, mini Toys are going on almost 10 years old now. Anywho... good luck dude.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by haulinazz2112 View Post
    From what I've seen. I don't think we would have enough room with a tool box to mount the bike with two wheels. Unless you totally fabb'd something or removed the toolbox, or found a roof rack or hitch assembly?.?. ither way we would have to contend with the exposure of the bike to the public. Hell, mini Toys are going on almost 10 years old now. Anywho... good luck dude.
    yeah, the bed isnt quite long enough with the toolbox back there. especially with a 29er on a 20" frame. my truck is a 99 so, it is what, 14 years old? i wheel it pretty hard and it gets me around town. 170k and still going strong!