Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Leave rack attached to car at trail?

Do you always leave your rack attached to your vehicle when you're on a trail? Maybe certain trails? I mean my hitch rack pin is threaded in and locked but its not 100% foolproof. Granted its not a highly sought after $600 rack but you never know. Does this even cross anyone's mind or am I just being overly cautious?

I know you should be able to trust others in the MTB community but there will be always be bad apples. Even in the military some of the people I trusted with my life couldn't be trusted with my unattended gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes... but, If I was that paranoid.... my 1upsa hitch rack can be easily removed and stored in the trunk of my car.

Larger racks..... would be more difficult to quickly stash into the trunk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    With a threaded and locked pin, I wouldn't put much more thought in leaving the rack on. Not with bikes mind you, but just the rack. YMMV depending on where you go, but for the most part, the pain in the ass nature of stealing a locked pin hitch rack would outweigh the resale for all but the most desperate thieves.

SSlow rider
    I have the Thule lock holding in my hitch rack. It's not foolproof, but someone would have to be dedicated to steal it and I haven't feared for losing the rack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Mine is attached at the trail and is attached most of the time (SoCal is year-round riding season ). I only take it off if and when I don't intend on using it for a lengthy amount of time.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    nah, its nothing to worry about. bolt that sucker to your hitch and don't think twice. its not a smash & grab object. stealing a hitch rack would take time, tools, effort and be blatantly obvious to anyone watching. the foot traffic around most parking areas would discourage even the most morally bankrupt person from such an attempt. if you happen to ride at a place so isolated that you are the only car there, your chances of someone driving in and deciding to steal it are almost nil. I'm sure it has happened but its not worth worrying about.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I most likely would have followed everyone's lead in the area, or been the topic of a new thread: "Saw a noob stuffing his rack in his trunk at the trail, WTF?"

psycho cyclo addict
    My Kuat NV rack stays on all of the time. I only bring the trail dock with me when I'm going to use it and keep it in the trunk as they are commonly ripped off...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mine is cheap Sportsrack and it bolted to the hitch so you need a wrench to remove it. So I don't worry about it at all : )

mtbr member extraordinair
    Park next to the other vehicles with their racks installed. Maybe a would be thief will steal someone elses and not yours.

But seriously, lock it to the hitch and go ride.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'll just strap it to my back and take it along for the ride.

mtbr member
    My locking hitch pin would be a mother effer for a thief to remove. I dont know about yours but that is the last thing I am worried about getting stolen.

mtbr member
    Who steals bike racks?

Dont have a trunk rack but have parked my car with a top of the line Saris Bones 3 trunk rack for years in really shitty neighborhoods in and around Atlanta and never even thought twice about someone ripping it off.

Off the saddle
    Takes me about a minute or less to put it in my car. In my area we have nice areas and so-so areas. Really depends on how I'm feeling at the time. If they want it, they'll take it no matter when or where.

mtbr member
    I feel like my 1UP is safer on the car plus, 1UP will replace for free if someone steals it while it's attached. I am not sure they will if it is stolen while in the car.

I have never removed mine and I have never worried about it. Plus if someone wants it that bad and can get it off, I would rather them take it from the hitch vs breaking out my window to get it.

Now when this is on it, I don't let it out of sight for even a second.

Quote Originally Posted by jizzim View Post
    Takes me about a minute or less to put it in my car. In my area we have nice areas and so-so areas. Really depends on how I'm feeling at the time. If they want it, they'll take it no matter when or where.

Off the saddle
    My hatch area is covered up pretty well and you can't even see what's in the space. I'm not really worried so much about regular thieves as they won't have the tool but rather other greedy 1Up owners... I'm pretty positive that they are out there ready to take your stuff. You can't beat $FREE.99.
    I just hate having to call the popo to make a report on it. They take forever to get out there especially if you're riding a far away trail that is out in the middle of nowhere.

mtbr member
    You may be correct but in my mind, most people that can afford a $600 rack, aren't rack thief's...
    Quote Originally Posted by jizzim View Post
    My hatch area is covered up pretty well and you can't even see what's in the space. I'm not really worried so much about regular thieves as they won't have the tool but rather other greedy 1Up owners... I'm pretty positive that they are out there ready to take your stuff. You can't beat $FREE.99.
    I just hate having to call the popo to make a report on it. They take forever to get out there especially if you're riding a far away trail that is out in the middle of nowhere.

Off the saddle
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    You may be correct but in my mind, most people that can afford a $600 rack, aren't rack thief's...
    touché. Maybe I'm just super paranoid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    With a threaded and locked pin, I wouldn't put much more thought in leaving the rack on. Not with bikes mind you, but just the rack. YMMV depending on where you go, but for the most part, the pain in the ass nature of stealing a locked pin hitch rack would outweigh the resale for all but the most desperate thieves.
    like what he said..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    I have locks for the trailer, so I just use the lock for the rack as well.

Something like this.

Locks for Trailers, Hitches, Bikes, Bike Racks, Vehicles and Motorcycles | etrailer.com
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    I don't have an expensive rack, but I'll spend the 30 seconds to through it in the back before I have to go drop > 100 bucks on a new one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just back up close to a tree so they cant pull the rack out of the hitch lol just dont hit the tree :P

Level 5 Rider!
    I just thought of this today when I went to hit the trail... mine would be easy to nab off the back but its really old and in the end I just decided not to bother. I am lazy so I probably won't but maybe it will depend where I am and how long I plan on being gone. Do you guys leave your bike racks on your vehicles all the time or just put them on when you are using them?
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Mine stays on all the time except when i need to pull a trailer.

mtbr member

Leave rack attached to car at trail?

My rack stays on. IMO it would be easier to steal if I were to take it off. It takes a tool to remove from the hitch that thieves might not have. Anyone can smash a window and gain access to the rack if i removed it. In my case, use a wagon to haul the bikes but even cars with separate trucks typically have a release button so the trunk is no more secure than the rest of the car.

IMO, "out of sight out of mind" isn't much of a deterrent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast