Thread: Landrover?

MaverickMotoMedia.com

Landrover?

I've been living car-free for a few years, but I'd like to get out and ride further away from where I live and I'm starting to get tired of bumming rides with friends. I've been looking to get an SUV with decent headroom and not spend much $. I'd pretty much use it only for road trips and occasional grocery jaunts. I've noticed that 10 year-old land rovers are ridiculously cheap, under $5k. something tells me to stay the @k away from them, but another part of me is intrigued. What are the reasons not to buy one?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I've been living car-free for a few years, but I'd like to get out and ride further away from where I live and I'm starting to get tired of bumming rides with friends. I've been looking to get an SUV with decent headroom and not spend much $. I'd pretty much use it only for road trips and occasional grocery jaunts. I've noticed that 10 year-old land rovers are ridiculously cheap, under $5k. something tells me to stay the @k away from them, but another part of me is intrigued. What are the reasons not to buy one?
    If you're good with your hands, they can be a fun car to own. Fixing it yourself with help spare you the trouble of having to pay an arm and a leg for repair work. Repair work, btw, is part and parcel of ownership.

They can get you a lot of cool places, but so can a boring and reliable Toyota Tacoma, so keep that in mind. I loved my Rover, but it was a rough relationship sometimes.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    what commonly goes wrong with them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a friend who bought a mid 90's Range Rover for like $3,000 or so. Mechanically, it's been fine- electrically though, Mr. Lucas' legacy likes to make itself known now and again, but it always seems to run, it's just random things like sunroof, climate control, etc.

The intrigue is understandable- but as expected, you're going to pay a price for upkeep, be it your sanity, or checkbook, to maintain a quirky car like that. But going on my friend's experience, it's not too heinous cost-wise, not as much as I would have thought. But yeah, more than a Tacoma!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    what commonly goes wrong with them?
    As the poster above me said, they tend to have a lot of electrical "quirks." Mine never left me mechanically stranded unless I broke something due to my own decisions.

If you're a tinkerer (or want to become one) I'd suggest taking a look. It helps if you know someone who is familiar with them that can show you the ropes. Mechanically, they're pretty simple (esp the older ones); the newer >'99 ones had increasingly interconnected mechanical and electronic systems that make life hard on the home mechanic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    I've driven that model. Scary above 60mph.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I've driven that model. Scary above 60mph.
    This specific one, or a '99 Discovery II? It was fine until I put the Swampers on it. The tires helped maintain my fuel "economy."

I would argue that highway manners are one of the things that LandRovers have always done better than most other SUVs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'd agree re the road manners.

D2's are more simple than the Second generation (p38) Range Rover which can be a bit of a nightmare!

D1's and Range Rover classics are pretty simple.

Defenders even more so.

I have a 2003 V8 D2 and a Defender 90 and the Disco has never not got me home.

If its a D2 you are looking at, the front propshaft can be a bit of pain. Coil sprung rear end is simpler than the airsprung version.

The v8 doesnt like being overheated. slipped liners etc.

They are pretty easy to work on.

Nice to drive and overall not a bad car (unless you really have no idea or interest in working on your own car.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PSimpson7 View Post

Nice to drive and overall not a bad car (unless you really have no idea or interest in working on your own car.)
    The bolded part is key. If you are considering buying one of these, esp a Discovery II or Range Rover, understand that they are: 1) "older" cars and 2) luxury brands. Since Rovers are old-ish, they will have have correspondingly higher maintenance needs than a brand new car. Since Land Rover positioned themselves here in the US market as a luxury brand, the repair network (dealership) has priced themselves accordingly. Put those together and you have a car that might need more frequent upkeep that costs more than a standard pickup/SUV. It might also help to remember that the increased maintenance cost tends to encourage some owners to defer the maintenance to the next owner.

All that to say, buyer beware. Their low resale lulls people into thinking that they are as cheap to own as they are to buy. This is not the case. But, they still are great cars that many people love dearly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    100% agree. well written.

One other positive is there are very active internet forums who have a lot of the answers and are very willing to help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would absolutely love to own a D90 or 110. Probably won't ever happen though, lol
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    I have a 96 Discovery I - getting pretty worn out but I love it. Leaks copious amounts (marks its territory) so you always know fluid status. If leaks slow, add more fluid(s).

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    fortunately, I'm semi-mechanically inclined and when I was in my 20's & early 30's I learned to wrench because I couldn't afford a mechanic (grad school will do that for ya) I'll keep the advice in mind as I get closer to making a decision, I'm also looking at a few other odd-ball makes. For some reason, I just can't see getting a Taco like everyone else- I'm also circus-freak tall, so I don't fit in them, either. At my height, (6'8") I don't test drive cars as much as I try them on for size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    A similarly cool alternative would be a Land Cruiser, like a 60 or 70 series wagon
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

jrm
    mtbr member
    For 5k id consider 3rd gen 4runner or a 80 series landcruiser. A vast aftermarket and they run for ever
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Landrover?

I've often wondered about LRs, but their resale value is lower then a beat up 2wd vinyl floored toyota truck. Resale value that low is never a good sign in a car.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    For 5k id consider 3rd gen 4runner or a 80 series landcruiser. A vast aftermarket and they run for ever
    unfortunately, at 6'8" tall, I don't fit in ANYTHING Toyota makes.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I've often wondered about LRs, but their resale value is lower then a beat up 2wd vinyl floored toyota truck. Resale value that low is never a good sign in a car.
    if I'm spending $5k or less on a car, the last thing I'm worrying about is resale value. At that low of a price, I will drive it into the ground; my only concern is how soon that happens...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Landrover?

unfortunately, at 6'8" tall, I don't fit in ANYTHING Toyota makes.

if I'm spending $5k or less on a car, the last thing I'm worrying about is resale value. At that low of a price, I will drive it into the ground; my only concern is how soon that happens...
    I don't mean the resale value of the 5k used car - all the value of the car is gone now, just the leaks and electrical problems remain.

What I meant is how good can a car be that costs $50k or more new and is now the price of a 10 year old used Civic? They look cool and have off road abilities, but seem too cheap to be reliable.

Anytime I hear LR, I remember Cars 2 where Mater says something like, you know what they say about British engines- if there ain't no oil under'em, there ain't no oil in'em.

Gigantic - You're not just buying a $5k car. You're buying a $5k car with a $50k car maintenance and repair costs. My co-worker blew her engine in her 98 LR Disco. Cost? $8k for the engine replacement. You don't get nickeled and dimed with a LR--you get benjamin'ed. So be ready for that. My guess is, you will not drive it into the ground like you can with Toyotas. You will hang onto it until you realize what a money pit it is, then dump it at a loss. These rigs aren't for people that want to just put gas in it and drive. You better have deep pockets and/or mechanical skills.

That said, I love LR's. I would love to get a LR series 3 one day. Just love the looks.