FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kuat Transfer

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Kuat Transfer

Does anybody out there own the Kuat Transfer? I cant find much of anything in the way of reviews online. I think because it is still pretty new. Id love to hear some real life opinions on it and maybe some comparisons to the Sherpa and NV. I know it is missing some features of the other two, but as of now I think I like the wheelbase and tire width capabilities of the Transfer over the Sherpa. The NV is just too far out of my price range. I'm looking at putting it on a 2010 Honda Odyssey.

Any input would be awesome!!
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    I haven't seen one in person, but it looks interesting. The only down side I noticed, is that you can't offset the bikes side to side to prevent handle bar to seat contact, unless I missed something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    I haven't seen one in person, but it looks interesting. The only down side I noticed, is that you can't offset the bikes side to side to prevent handle bar to seat contact, unless I missed something.
    Im hoping with my bikes and my buddies bikes all having seat droppers or at least a quick release, that seats hitting handlbars wouldnt be an issue. I dont have any experience with bike racks (usually just chuck it in the back of the pickup) so be nice if Im way off on that. Am I wrong? Definitly good to know if it will be an issue though. Right now the two bikes that will be on it are a Santa Cruz Tallboy LT, and a Pivot Mach 6. Every once and a while there will be a GT Zaskar on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have one, unfortunately I can't compare it to the sherpa or NV because this is my first hitch rack. I will try two bikes this weekend for the first time.

It has a screw in hitch pin vs. what I think are the friction systems on the sherpa and NV.

It's way lighter than the T2 I tried.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    looks like the way the front cradle can drop or raise would offer some seat/handlebar relief with what adjustability it has - but need to see that one work to believe it more

i will say - it rises to the top of list for a decent rack/decent price that won't be on with all the time... just those times when dogs and wife are along - or buddies and i carpool vs meet

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one. The first one I bought ended up being on backorder. The second one I bought says they have 4 in stock, so Im crossing my fingers! If it shows up ill post some pictures.

Sawyer Gnome
    Just placed an order for one myself; will be curious to check it out once (whenever) it arrives. I was having a damn hard time deciding between the 2 and the 3, but settled on the 2 for the lower cost and lower rear window profile, figuring for the same additional money, I could throw a 1 bike deal up on the roof when needed...
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I've also been considering one of these racks and am very interested to hear all of your thoughts on it once you get them in!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    DomPedro - were you able to give it a try this past weekend? curious as Im about to pull the trigger on one - any info greatly appreciated!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    DomPedro - were you able to give it a try this past weekend? curious as Im about to pull the trigger on one - any info greatly appreciated!!!
    I'm curious as well! Mine just finally shipped today, so I should have it soon and will post pictures when I get it installed.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to some real reviews.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

I've Got Mine!

Kuat Transfer-img_2065.jpgKuat Transfer-img_2075.jpgKuat Transfer-img_2076.jpgKuat Transfer-img_2078.jpgKuat Transfer-img_2082.jpgKuat Transfer-img_2086.jpgKuat Transfer-img_2085.jpgKuat Transfer-img_2089.jpg

Well, it fits my two 29ers just fine. It seems solid and the way it tightens to the hitch works well. It is solid as a rock. This is my first bike rack, but I'm pleased! It also seems to offset the bikes to allow PLENTY of clearance between the two. I think it is a keeper! It is eventually going on my minivan, but I sprained the living crap out of my wrist today on an "over the bars" adventure, so installing the hitch is going to have to wait a few weeks. Let me know if any of you have questions.

Your Best Friend
    Is it rated for off road? Not just your opinion but actually on the box or in the material?
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Is it rated for off road? Not just your opinion but actually on the box or in the material?
    It has a sticker on it that says it is NOT to be used off road. Is that normal, or not?
    Last edited by Ziggyfly; 05-30-2015 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Miss spelled word

Your Best Friend
    Normallish I guess. I think it's pretty sad. Wish more companies built them stronger and therefore had more faith in their own product. I was hoping a new design would have had improved strength.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Interesting. My own opinion is that the thing is strong. I'm not about to attach it to a 4x4 and go nuts, but I have no issues personally with attaching to my truck, van, or car and taking a normally graded (washboard) dirt road. In fact I will be doing that. I would say that a good amount of the good trails are off of forest service roads here in AZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think the issue is how you rate for off-road. There is no way to quantify that. By not rating racks for off road use companies avoid some joker slapping a rack on his dune buggy and then suing when the buggy rolls over.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Here is the sticker. No unpaved surfaces, and no recreational vehicles.

Kuat Transfer-warn.jpg

Your Best Friend
    My experience is that the racks start to wobble so badly that they destroy their joints. As the OP mentioned, most of his trails are off dirt roads (as are most people's) and in a couple of years, his nice new rack will need to be replaced.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    My experience is that the racks start to wobble so badly that they destroy their joints. As the OP mentioned, most of his trails are off dirt roads (as are most people's) and in a couple of years, his nice new rack will need to be replaced.
    I guess at that time I'll just be glad it wasn't very expensive!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I just took a look at this rack and am thinking of grabbing one of the 2-bike racks. Anyone have any experience with this particular one or any similar wheel lock design racks on long distance trips with 70+ mph highway conditions?

If you have noticed me post in other "rack" threads, you'll know I'm over thinking these things and am deep in the research....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimmy24 View Post
    I just took a look at this rack and am thinking of grabbing one of the 2-bike racks. Anyone have any experience with this particular one or any similar wheel lock design racks on long distance trips with 70+ mph highway conditions?

If you have noticed me post in other "rack" threads, you'll know I'm over thinking these things and am deep in the research....
    Works fine at 70mph, took my bike about 3 hrs away, was solid the entire time.

As for off road. I would say that the small amount of play the tipping mechanism (which really is very convenient) allows would wear prematurely if subjected to lots of serious bumps.

Truth is, here in New England, most of the roads aren't that much better than dirt roads, so the whole "off-road" vs "on-road" debate is sort of moot. Either way, the rack should work fine, mine has been perfect so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the response. I'm in Northeastern PA and am making a trip to South Carolina in a few weeks, so I'm looking for a quality rack in short notice without spending an arm and a leg.... it also needs to be able to withstand the demon that is I-95.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've used mine a lot since I got it. I've had it up to probably 85mph on some pretty curvy roads with no issue. Longest drive so far is 2hrs. It will be going on an 11hr trip here next week and feel confident it will be fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I like the direct reference to 85 mph. That makes me feel more comfortable, being as that I tend to be a bit aggressive... I'm putting in a 12 hour or so trip in August, so reliability is big. It is only a once a year type trip, but it's still nice to be confident. I appreciate the input. I think I am going to pick up one of these, I'm just waiting to hear back on a potential deal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast