mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Kuat NV2 Vs 1up black 2inch

I am down to two racks...maybe 3 with the inno....So
    Which one and why?

None are frame touchers....
    Kuat has a nice stand.....i am not sure if it flexes looks like it might
    1Up is really expensive...but does not have a locking feature nor bike rack but looks extremely well constructed and a u lock might help secure the hitch and a cable lock for the bikes.
    Inno not sure if it is aluminum and it appears only one side ratchets as opposed to 1up has two....the kuat has a rear wheel strap...not sure if that scratches the wheelset?
    Please let me know your thoughts...thanks to all.

Your Best Friend
    I've used the Kuat and the 1up. The 1up is worth the price difference. The Kuat is fine as a 2 bike rack, if you want to carry 4, get a different rack. No rack packs the bikes closer than a 4 bike Kuat.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

beater

Kuat NV2 Vs 1up black 2inch

Tray racks are the way to go for 2 bikes, IMO. The locking feature on the Kuat has always struck me as a sales gimmick. I don't think it provides more than a fig leaf of security. The work stand is a nice feature, but I think any tray rack would let you do the minimal maintenance you're likely to do at a trailhead (e.g. lube a chain).

Locks are different for every rack and vehicle. I have a 1-Up. When I'm traveling, I use a mini-U lock between the frame and the rack. For day-to-day, I have an Abus armored cable that I run through the bike frame and the spare wheel on the back of my Trooper. I really like that there is no plastic in the 1-Up.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    UPDATE***
    I thought I was going to purchase a 1UP until I contacted them. I had asked if they might have a little wiggle room on price and they said they had a returned item. They gave me a price that was more expensive than a brand new KUAT. I then asked them if they had a picture of the rack or if they could tell me if it had any scratches. And if they could do just a little better on the price.
    Their answer: "Do not contact us anymore on this rack...it is not available."
    I then decided to call because I felt that was really rude. The person who answered said...we are not rude but we are short which some people think are rude...but we do not have time to talk as we have work to do....

For a place that is a direct seller...they sure do not seem to want to sell with answers like that.... If that is how they approach a sale....I really wonder what happens when you need warranty work.
    I then called Kuat....so much nicer experience kind and answered all my questions.
    Needless to say I am leaning heavily towards Kuat....I did also hear of INNO which I called as well. Apparently they sponser a lot of US teams and they also are extremely helpful. They even had me talk to the VP there and what a nice person he was.

I am American and had really wanted to purchase 1UP because it is US made and quality......but they really are not friendly and they bad mouthed the other companies stating that I coud go ahead and get a kuat and call them back after the plastic has dry rotted.......that is enough for me to move on to a company that is better to deal with. I know many of you purchased 1UP and have had good experiences...I really hope you know someone there who cares to improve the customer experience.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    I really wonder what happens when you need warranty work.
    I can tell you exactly what it's like when you need warranty work. In my case I sent them an email stating that a few of the bolts on my rack had started to rust. Within an hour I had an email back apologizing because they had a run of bad bolts and a tracking number for the replacement parts. No cost to me, no questions asked. Had the new parts in two days. It was only a minor cosmetic issue to start with and they responded instantly and without issue.

I've been using mine for a few years now. I put it on the car in the spring and take it off when winter comes and it still looks like new, works like new, and has never let me down. I'd buy it again tomorrow if I needed to and at the price they ask for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks...that sounds super...I just emailed them again to tell them about the poor experience. I hope they respond in a good way. I want to support American.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Apparently I am not the only one....
    1up vs yakima, usa made?

I hope they improve ...sincerely...sounds like a wonderful product with work needed in customer service arena.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    UPDATE*** Spoke via email to Rob at 1UP. He was much better to deal with. I may end up with one shortly....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just ordered the 2 bike black anodized 2 inch 1up Rob the owner was much better to work with.