mtbr member
    Mar 2013

... and if we just ... Kuat NV user please respond.

I've been looking at Kuat and about to pull the gun on the sherpa but don't like how the rear tire sits in the cradle for my 29er. Loking at the NV (90 dollars more) but since this is a large purchase want to hear from the users on it. After months of ownership has anything gone wrong/broke/snap/bike fall of lol. Or anything you have done to make it "better"?

Thanks
    D

code: mtbr2011
    NV works flawlessly still, after 3 years.
    nothing broken or lost.
    I did spray some silicone lube into the hinge that controls the pivot to keep it from squeaking and moving smoothly, but that's it.

mtbr member
    Nope, nothing went wrong with the one I had. I hated the weight of it though. I didn't like lugging it up and down a flight of stairs since I live in an apartment. I chose to sell mine and go for the 1Up rack instead. Love the 1up waaaaaaayy more.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    Nope, nothing went wrong with the one I had. I hated the weight of it though. I didn't like lugging it up and down a flight of stairs since I live in an apartment. I chose to sell mine and go for the 1Up rack instead. Love the 1up waaaaaaayy more.
    You like it way better because of the weight? Is that the only reason?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    You like it way better because of the weight? Is that the only reason?
    I can store it in the trunk of my GTI, and also the fact that it's modular. I usually head to the trails by myself, so the single bike tray is awesome.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

psycho cyclo addict
    I've owned an NV for a couple of years now and it's been awesome. I had one of the springs fail in one of the wheel arms. Kuat sent me a brand new arm assembly within a couple of days.

I have the 1 1/4" version and it isn't too heavy (the 2" version is definitely heavier). I tend to leave it on my car most of the time since I use it a couple of times a week if not more often.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I've owned an NV for a couple of years now and it's been awesome. I had one of the springs fail in one of the wheel arms. Kuat sent me a brand new arm assembly within a couple of days.

I have the 1 1/4" version and it isn't too heavy (the 2" version is definitely heavier). I tend to leave it on my car most of the time since I use it a couple of times a week if not more often.
    Don't get me wrong, it is a nice rack. I also had the 1 1/4" version, and the Kuat site claims it's 49 lbs(doesn't specify which version though). I ride almost everyday, but I don't like leaving it on my car, so it's awkward size and weight, made me want to sell it and get something more compact.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    I purchased the NV back in the fall and pretty happy overall. Rack works great and zero issues with it holding the bike(s) on. Weight has not been an issue for it's on the back of my full size p/u truck.

I have two minor concerns:
    1) The locks have become jamed closed due to salt/debris accumulated the winter months here in the North East.
    2) The arms tend to "freeze" on very cold days.

Neither are close to being deal breakers for me. Honestly, I need to take some responsiblilty on the salt damage to the locks for a simple lubing from time to time would have eliminated this problem.

Regardless, KUAT replaced both locks within 5 business days of my inquiry to them. They know is is an ongoing problem and have stated they are working on a fix.
    Nothing really witty to say..........

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Kuat NV user please respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post
    I purchased the NV back in the fall and pretty happy overall. Rack works great and zero issues with it holding the bike(s) on. Weight has not been an issue for it's on the back of my full size p/u truck.

I have two minor concerns:
    1) The locks have become jamed closed due to salt/debris accumulated the winter months here in the North East.
    2) The arms tend to "freeze" on very cold days.

Neither are close to being deal breakers for me. Honestly, I need to take some responsiblilty on the salt damage to the locks for a simple lubing from time to time would have eliminated this problem.

Regardless, KUAT replaced both locks within 5 business days of my inquiry to them. They know is is an ongoing problem and have stated they are working on a fix.
    Are you referring to the arm locks or the locks that go through the frames?

I though the arm locking machismo was fixed months ago?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The two bike rack is the best system I have ever owned. Is it expensive? Yes. However it is an excellent value even at the MSRP in my opinion. should you ever need service/parts, they make ever single part on that rack available on their website and the cost is very reasonable for parts.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts