mtbr member

Kuat NV Question

Looking to buy a rack. Got a Holdup and the distance from the end of the rack to the hole for the hitch pin is too long. The hitch bottoms out on a tab in the receiver tube before the pin lines up.

Swung by a shop tonight and tried a Sherpa and it fit like a champ. I like the extra features of the NV so I want to order one but I don't want to run into the same problem as the Yakima. Looks like the Sherpa is 47-48 mm from the end to the center of the hitch pin hole. Anyone have an NV they could measure for me and let me know this distance? I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

code: mtbr2011
    are you looking for the distance from the bolt hole to the rack when it's in the folded up, stored position?
    or are you looking for a measurement of height above the hitch?
    what vehicle are you installing this on?

mtbr member
    Actually I was looking for the distance from the end of the rack that is inserted into the receiver tube to the hitch pin hole.

I have a class 1 hitch with a tab punched into it to prevent a 2" adaptor from being inserted into it (effectively dummy-proofing it from being used as a class 2 hitch). I didn't realize (having never bought a hitch for my car before) that some manufacturers did this.

I found the information I needed and ordered a rack today.

code: mtbr2011
    sorry you didn't order from us. We have a discount for MTBR members.

mtbr member
    Yea. I ordered through the LBS. They let me come in and test fit a Sherpa to see if it'd fit and helped me out with a few phone calls to Kuat so I didn't want to leave them hanging. Plus they hooked me up with 15% off on top of it.

We do have another car that'll be getting a hitch soon though and my brother will be buying soon. I'll keep you guys in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    Actually I was looking for the distance from the end of the rack that is inserted into the receiver tube to the hitch pin hole.

I have a class 1 hitch with a tab punched into it to prevent a 2" adaptor from being inserted into it (effectively dummy-proofing it from being used as a class 2 hitch). I didn't realize (having never bought a hitch for my car before) that some manufacturers did this.

I found the information I needed and ordered a rack today.
    what is a royal pita is that some cars like mine have ZERO classII hitches available. my wife's car can take a 2" hitch, so I put one on there, for maximum rack stability and towing at the vehicle's capacity. but that means I can't put the same rack on my car, no matter how I do it. No adapter possible. I wanted to have to option of putting a 4 bike extension on my wife's car if I needed it later, so buying a 1 1/4" rack and using an adapter to downsize it didn't make sense.

I don't want manufacturers to idiot-proof things for me. I have no intention of exceeding the limits of my car and breaking something.

mtbr member
    In case anyone else stumbles into this thread looking for the same answer here's what I got from Kuat.

According to them (per the shop) all of their hitch racks have been redesigned so that the 1-1/4 versions are "guaranteed" to fit any Class 1 hitch, including those with the safety tab punched into the receiver tube.

The rack should be in on Wednesday so I'll report back if it fits.

And NateHawk, I agree. I'd rather them not idiot-proof things... this particular one has been pretty irritating.

mtbr member
    Didn't get a measurement but the rack fits just fine in the class 1 receiver even with the little stop.