Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Scallywag
    Jul 2009

Kuat NV Core or Kuat Sherpa ????

Bought new Camry, need to pick one. Please Advise

MyBikeStand.com
    Here is an older article that shows both the original NV and the Sherpa. I know there have been some changes to the racks somewhat but it may help you see what works best for you… both are good racks, just depends on your needs and money.
    Kuat NV Sherpa review | MyBikeStand.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubKC View Post
    Bought new Camry, need to pick one. Please Advise
    If you're only carrying XC and road bikes and want a light weight rack get the Sherpa. How accessible is the hitch pin hole on the Camry's hitch? You'll have to get use to climbing under there with a wrench to tighten the cam.

If you ride DH, and want the hitch tightening cam knob, get the NV Core.

Carrying 20" wheeled bikes, choose another brand. The Kuat's solution for BMX is not that great. not a problem for me since I don't own any 20s.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    If you're only carrying XC and road bikes and want a light weight rack get the Sherpa. How accessible is the hitch pin hole on the Camry's hitch? You'll have to get use to climbing under there with a wrench to tighten the cam.

If you ride DH, and want the hitch tightening cam knob, get the NV Core.

Carrying 20" wheeled bikes, choose another brand. The Kuat's solution for BMX is not that great. not a problem for me since I don't own any 20s.
    That's not true, my Sherpa (brought it last spring) has the same tightening knob as the NV. In fact the entire tilting and tightening mechanism is the same. The big difference is that the Sherpa has fixed point for the wheels holders, but they accommodate a wide range to wheelbases. I carry 8 different road, mountain, and recumbent bikes and they all fit without an issue on the Sherpa.

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    I ride Mountain Bike only, was looking at the NV Core because I wont need to add the 2 bike extension, and its the latest and greatest. But looking at the Sherpa, its lighter, has the Hand Tightening Cam, and locks. I am not sure what the Core was really made for? NV Core is more expensive but offers less? I must be missing something...

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Take that back the Sherpa looks to cost the same +/- a few bucks

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WingNutt View Post
    Here is an older article that shows both the original NV and the Sherpa. I know there have been some changes to the racks somewhat but it may help you see what works best for you… both are good racks, just depends on your needs and money.
    Kuat NV Sherpa review | MyBikeStand.com
    Thanks WingNut, I have def ruled out the NV, its just too much rack (never thought I would say that) Your article has some great info. I really like the Sherpa but have always been a sucker for new products. I think the CORE is just marketing candy, i really cant figure out why the Core would trump the Sherpa... I guess I need more research and input.

Thank you!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I also think the distance between the bikes is greater on the Sherpa, makes it less likely you'll have interference. The light weight of the Sherpa is really nice. I end up having to remove the rack at least once a month, and it's real easy to carry to the garage. The Core must be real new, it wasn't available last year, but I can't figure out what it offers vs the Sherpa.

The build quality is real nice, Kuat does a great job, makes the Thule/Yakima look like they were built in someones back yard.

mtbr member
    Both are great racks. I love their engineering and fit/finish.
    My vote would be the Sherpa due to lighter weight.

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Both are great racks. I love their engineering and fit/finish.
    My vote would be the Sherpa due to lighter weight.
    I agree, Sold!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thule T2 trumps them both with adjustability fore/aft and side-to-side. The T2 lets you easily rack up two MTB's with 750mm + handlebars without having to drop saddles, remove seatposts, rotate brake levers, etc. The Kuat's are lighter and silver, but there's no customization available. Thule hitch racks are made in the U.S. also.

meh
    buddy has the Thule T2 and i have the NV, we both wholeheartedly agree the Kuat is the much nicer rack, had he not had a gift certificate at a Thule distributor, he was gonna get the Sherpa

if i was to do it all again, id prob get the 1UP, with the NV coming in a close second, followed by the Sherpa

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingrules View Post
    Thule T2 trumps them both with adjustability fore/aft and side-to-side. The T2 lets you easily rack up two MTB's with 750mm + handlebars without having to drop saddles, remove seatposts, rotate brake levers, etc. The Kuat's are lighter and silver, but there's no customization available. Thule hitch racks are made in the U.S. also.

I dumped my Thule T2 to buy a Kuat NV...and it wasn't because the Thule was a better rack. I'm a guide take my racks off road five to six days a week. Yakima racks suck (mine pretty much fell apart), Thule T2 is better and the Kuat kicks the a$$ of both. YRMV.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    buddy has the Thule T2 and i have the NV, we both wholeheartedly agree the Kuat is the much nicer rack, had he not had a gift certificate at a Thule distributor, he was gonna get the Sherpa

if i was to do it all again, id prob get the 1UP, with the NV coming in a close second, followed by the Sherpa
    Great.. I had my mind made up but now...

Never considered the 1UP. I will have to remove the rack every time I use it so both seem light enough. The Sherpa won my vote origionally, should I consider the 1UP? They are not much to look at, are the that great and why? Arent Kuat racks made in Missouri? or is that a thing of the past?

meh
    1ups are really light compared to pretty much all the platform racks, so for taking on and off, id go with it, they are high quality (check the 1up thread on here)...my NV, while bomber, isnt the lightest (not sure about the sherpa), but it does have some nice built in features which is why i went with it in the first place
    not much to look at is a plus in my opinion, they are minimalist and kinda disappear, still are nice looking though...Kuats are very nice looking from the opposite spectrum

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Sherpa = 29lbs
    1UP = 25lbs but only holds one bike? is that correct? the add-on weighs 20 lbs for a 45lb total

Looks like the Shrpa wins still, thank you for helping me get even more educated.

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shoal View Post
    Get the 1-up for sure.

--No hitch pins, accessible from the outside using a "keyed" allen key to hold the rack in place.
    -- Folds up nice and small
    -- Light/Modular can go up to 3 or 4 bikes depending on your hitch, can do as few as one.
    -- High Quality, super adjustable, secures your bike by the wheels and is super fast. 10-15 seconds once you figure it out

-- Made in the USA - Wisconsin
    Isnt Kuat made in Missouri? or are they outsourcing now?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Get the 1-up for sure.

--No hitch pins, accessible from the outside using a "keyed" allen key to hold the rack in place.
    -- Folds up nice and small
    -- Light/Modular can go up to 3 or 4 bikes depending on your hitch, can do as few as one.
    -- High Quality, super adjustable, secures your bike by the wheels and is super fast. 10-15 seconds once you figure it out

-- Made in the USA - Wisconsin

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't know if it is made in MO or not. could be.

mtbr member
    Küat are made in Missouri.
    My next rack will be a Sherpa, for sure.
    1up makes a decent rack, but I had a buddy who had a lot of issues with it (wobble, quality issues). However, I rarely see many folks on this board with issues (you'd swear the 1up users are sponsored by the company as they seem to be zealous... So they must be good). .

mtbr member
    I am making the same decision -- Core for me. Sherpa can't carry my DH bike

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Küat are made in Missouri.
    My next rack will be a Sherpa, for sure.
    1up makes a decent rack, but I had a buddy who had a lot of issues with it (wobble, quality issues). However, I rarely see many folks on this board with issues (you'd swear the 1up users are sponsored by the company as they seem to be zealous... So they must be good). .
    From their FAQ: "The racks are designed in Springfield, Missouri and assembled in Taiwan and China."

I own an NV and have no regrets on purchasing it ~1 year ago.

mtbr member
    Wow... that has recently changed. Looks like they are becoming a volume builder. I doubt their quality will change, but time will tell.

mtbr member
    The Sherpa is an outstanding product. It is over engineered for its purpose (bomb proof) and the lighter weight is a nice extra. You could spend more on other hitch racks but in my opinion the Sherpa is already overkill…

I also want to give a shout out to the team at Cracks And Racks- Nice people, great prices on Kuat products, MTBR member discount and outstanding customer service.
    Last edited by 410sprint; 11-06-2012 at 09:36 AM.

MyBikeStand.com
    Kuat really is stepping things up…. more goodies for your car and bike Interbike Spotlight - Kuat Racks Vagabond X, Roof Trays and Link lock | MyBikeStand.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast