BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Jeep brand rack?

Anybody know anything about the Jeep Overland 2 hitch mount bicycle rack? I stumbled on it trolling the internet. It looks just like the 1up USA Ultra rack but at a third the cost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I don't know about the hitch mount, but I've got an Overland rack I've had since '02. It was originally meant to mount to a roof rack. I whipped up a simple mount to slap it on the back of my Wrangler while my pickup is getting some work done.

As for the rack itself, it's pretty good. LIghtweight aluminum channel with steel collapsible aluminum arms, machined steel rollers, etc. It's sturdy and easy to use. The only downside is you sorta have to cram a tire wider than 2.35 between the steel support runners (they're the thin black strap steel bars, not the thick black-anodized aluminum bars with the Overland decals on them). They're flexible and it works, though. Good deal for the price.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    Thanks for the photos. There isn't much to be had online.

How do the uprights lock in postition to hold the bikes tight?

mtbr member
    Sorry for the non-techno jargon, but you swing open the mounts by just pulling them open. The rear tire mount (shown in photo on the passenger-side) opens up to just a bit over 90-degrees and the front opens more. You slide the rear tire in place in the rear mount, then close the forward mount up tight to the tire and it self-locks in place with that little anodized red locking tab.

On my 26-inch tires the machined rollers hit at about 11- o'clock on the front tire and 1 o'clock on the rear. To open it up and release the bike, you press the red locking tab upward and release the front tire mount, then pull the bike out.

I'll toss the bike in it and shoot a photo if you like.

mtbr member
    Here ya go.

Mounts folded down.

Open 'em up.

Place the bike in the rack. You sorta need to squeeze the rear in place, but I'm sure it's supposed to hold tight on the rear tire sidewalls. My EX-9 has a 2.10 on the back, but my other bike runs a 2.35 out back and it fits fine.

Lift the front up and lock the tire in place. The mount locks automatically.

Here's the locking mechanism. Little red spring-loaded lever that rides inside a machined channel. Lift it up and you can lower the mount.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    Boy, thanks for going to all the trouble. I hope you hit the trails after you loaded up to make it worth while!

Looks like Jeep must have bought the rights to the "1up" the holding system is identical, but the pricing is quite different. I'll have to consider this unit. Obviously you've customized yours but the one on line not only hitch mounts but it also folds up on it's self. Great for storing in the trunk. My current Saris rack is rotting out around my bike and weighs a ton!

Thanks again for the photos!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    We (I work for Chrysler LLC mopar side) stopped making that style a few years ago. Great rack, but we switched up and partnered with Thule and now use their cross bar style holder. Still make the roof mount version though like monkey has. If you come across one for cheap snag it, there are probably only a handful of them left that we offloaded to resellers. Original msrp was $275ish...

Made in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Garagemonkey

That's a really cool rack for the TJ, most of them are terrible, I like the Swampers btw.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Does it fit 29ers?

Thanks for reviving this thread. I am this close to buying the 2 bike rack on eBay, but I am unable to determine from the seller if the Jeep Overland II rack will fit 29ers. Since all I ride are 29ers, its kind of important. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Jeep Overland II does not fit 29ers

Got a response from the guy selling these on eBay - he says they do not fit the 29ers. Another guy said the rack kept the bikes so close together they would rub. I'm passing on it - going with the Saris Thelma. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Garagemonkey-Totally off topic is that a CJ-7? and i Like your Swampers. what is your lift and tire and wheel size

mtbr member
    I just got the 2-bike version. Has anyone successfully loaded two bikes on one of these things? I've tried 2 cx bikes, 2 road bikes and one of each--there's now way to fit both of them on it. The rear derailleur and fork get in each others way.

My 650b w/2.35 tires doesn't fit either, but I didn't really plan to use it for mountain bike (I just take my truck).

So far, I'm pretty disappointed with the rack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Have you tried the bike closest to the car with the drivetrain facing the car (facing left), and the outer bike with the drivetrain facing out (facing right)?

Quote Originally Posted by MarvinK View Post
    I just got the 2-bike version. Has anyone successfully loaded two bikes on one of these things? I've tried 2 cx bikes, 2 road bikes and one of each--there's now way to fit both of them on it. The rear derailleur and fork get in each others way.

My 650b w/2.35 tires doesn't fit either, but I didn't really plan to use it for mountain bike (I just take my truck).

So far, I'm pretty disappointed with the rack.