Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

INTERBIKE 2016: RockyMounts SplitRail (a T2 Pro competitor)

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Francis Cebedo 
#1 ·
I saw RockyMounts new SplitRail hitch rack and wanted to share some of my video footage of their new rack as it really is comparable to the Thule T2 Pro hitch rack and is better IMHO in some ways. I'm always excited to see good products being produced by small US companies.

Line Musical instrument accessory Iron Metal Bicycle part

This is a comparison of some key features:

Text Photograph White Colorfulness Line

Two areas in which I find that the SplitRail is better than the T2 Pro is:

1. Weight: the SplitRail rack is about 15 pounds lighter than the T2 Pro for those of you that remove and reinstall your hitch rack frequently.
  2. Ability to add one bike mount for a 3-bike configuration: The SplitRail can add a single additional bike mount to allow either a 3-bike or 4-bike configuration.

This is Bobby from RockyMounts talking about key features of their SplitRail hitch rack.

INTERBIKE 2016 Video: RockyMounts SplitRail Hitch Mount Rack (a legitimate T2 Pro competitor)

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought one. Was bummed it was made in china. I thought RM gear was made in CO. I knew it when I looked at the box. It had that cheap Chinese cardboard. I had to return it, as the 2-bike add on wasn't due in to RM for almost 2 months. I needed 4 bikes, not 2. Ended up buying a Saris Freedom SuperClamp 4 bike. Love it, couldn't be happier. It had a few things the 1up didn't, and I really like that it was designed as a 4 bike right from the start.

All that said, I didn't find anything wrong with the SplitRail. But folding it down with the 2 bike add on would be difficult.

#4 ·
Or Saris, made about 30 minutes from 1up!

I ordered a 1up, and cancelled it for the Saris. The saris sticks out about a foot less, and has a very similar method of holding up the wheels. The big foot "button" at the end of the Saris for folding down is what did it for me. I just push with my foot, and lower the rack down. It's better even than the Thule T2Pro's lever thing you pull.

I do believe even the Thule is made in the usa though, could be wrong. The RockyMounts was fine, but the no addons did it in for me. I do like the lifetime warranty on the saris too. The 1up is obviously a well-respected rack, but I don't think it's perfect. I had to weigh which features were the most important to me, and only the Saris met the most.

Now the new RockyMounts swing away tray is cool looking, but it can only do a max of 3 bikes.

A swing away version of the Saris, with a better hitch tightener system would be my ultimate rack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.