Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member
    May 2013

Inexpensive hitch mounted for krampus

I need a hitch mounted carrier for my krampus and one other bike, this one has great reviews

Prorack 2-Bike Hitch Platform https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQUK4WC..._ktmBwbGQZVZ4F

Any idea if it can accommodate my krampus 29x3 tires? And is there a good way to lock the bike to the rack? EDIT: further research shows 2.5inch wide tire trays so it's out....

If you recommend any other cheap racks that's fine too.....needs to lock, carry 2 or 3 bikes, and mount on the hitch of my ranger. Also needs to fold down so I can open the tailgate

I see most other threads recommending 3-400 dollar racks which aren't in the budget but if someone can tell me why they're worth so much I'm curious

Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by NesquikNinja; 12-12-2015 at 07:36 PM. Reason: New info

Swagman XC, with the fat tire adapter kit.
    Swagman XC
    Fat tire kit

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Friend with a swagman clone and a 27.5+ and it fits without doing anything. Tires are tight but they squish in to the stock mounts. Another friend with fat bikes also has a swagman clone and they just widened/bent their stock tire holders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I too have been looking for an inexpensive hitch mount rack and came across this -
    Upright Heavy Duty 2 Bike Bicycle Hitch Mount Carrier Platform Rack Truck SUV | eBay

Looks a lot like a Swagman. Thinking of trying it for $67 shipped.

Dirt Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
    I too have been looking for an inexpensive hitch mount rack and came across this -
    Upright Heavy Duty 2 Bike Bicycle Hitch Mount Carrier Platform Rack Truck SUV | eBay

Looks a lot like a Swagman. Thinking of trying it for $67 shipped.
    Hell, at that price, if it lasts 5 years I would feel good about it. I bet it works great.

You gotta love the hard working industrial export China business model.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

Dirt Junkie
    My new recent mantra is "just because it was welded in a dirt parking lot by a 9 year old, doesn't mean it was done poorly......"
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Guys, as a guy who has lost a bike on the freeway at speed, I caution you. Do you really want to trust your multi-thousand dollar bike to a cheap bike rack? Seriously?

Do yourself a favor and buy quality.

...and a pretty weld is a strong weld.
    Hallo, My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Guys, as a guy who has lost a bike on the freeway at speed, I caution you. Do you really want to trust your multi-thousand dollar bike to a cheap bike rack? Seriously?

Do yourself a favor and buy quality.

...and a pretty weld is a strong weld.
    Yes.

I put tens of thousands of miles on my swagman xc, with two 30+lb bikes on it. Rough roads, freeway, hitting curbs with it etc. That thing was rock solid, nothing about it was cheap quality, it was just low priced.

My current rack is super sketchy though! My ex took the swagman. I picked up a really cheap swagman knockoff. It was absolutely terrible and I almost lost a bike driving around the block. Just because it looks similar, doesnt mean its the same. The real swagman brand racks are good stuff, and Id trust it with a couple high end bikes on the freeway.

Edit: Oh! rm25x posted the exact one I have. That rack literally will not hold a single 28lb mountain bike driving 25mph around the block. Its not safe, its pure trash.

I bought it as a welding practice project. Its strong now, and I use it regularly, but every piece of it has had steel plates welded in. Not even the hold down hooks are usable as it comes. The steel square beams are thick and strong and make for a good project, if you want a project.

DFMBA.org
    Name:  41WidhwzmnL.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  24.8 KB

Just got this one and it's awesome. Easy to set up and take down and it's all steel and very sturdy. Also accommodates any bike design. Can't beat the price too. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004O5IDHE/..._rv_eml_rv0_dp It doesn't natively lock but I'm sure you could get a locking lynch pin or something.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Yes.

I put tens of thousands of miles on my swagman xc, with two 30+lb bikes on it. Rough roads, freeway, hitting curbs with it etc. That thing was rock solid, nothing about it was cheap quality, it was just low priced.

My current rack is super sketchy though! My ex took the swagman. I picked up a really cheap swagman knockoff. It was absolutely terrible and I almost lost a bike driving around the block. Just because it looks similar, doesnt mean its the same. The real swagman brand racks are good stuff, and Id trust it with a couple high end bikes on the freeway.

Edit: Oh! rm25x posted the exact one I have. That rack literally will not hold a single 28lb mountain bike driving 25mph around the block. Its not safe, its pure trash.

I bought it as a welding practice project. Its strong now, and I use it regularly, but every piece of it has had steel plates welded in. Not even the hold down hooks are usable as it comes. The steel square beams are thick and strong and make for a good project, if you want a project.
    Thanks for posting your feedback, good to know. I will look into a swagman.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Name:  41WidhwzmnL.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  24.8 KB

Just got this one and it's awesome. Easy to set up and take down and it's all steel and very sturdy. Also accommodates any bike design. Can't beat the price too. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004O5IDHE/..._rv_eml_rv0_dp It doesn't natively lock but I'm sure you could get a locking lynch pin or something.
    Wow that is pretty slick too. I had to pull up a video for a better understanding of how it worked.

https://youtu.be/4x_tThsQPrE

mtbr member
    Those hold similar to a trunk rack. The bikes sway and bang around unless you secure them with straps. IMO, if you're going for a hitch rack, get one that holds the wheels from the bottom. They're much more secure and stable, no paint scuffing or scratches.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Those hold similar to a trunk rack. The bikes sway and bang around unless you secure them with straps. IMO, if you're going for a hitch rack, get one that holds the wheels from the bottom. They're much more secure and stable, no paint scuffing or scratches.
    That was a BIG criteria for me and that's not the case with the SportWing. It seems like you would just hang the bike by the wheels and strap them down, but that's only the half of it. You can place the silicone surrounds anywhere you want [where the frame would hit the rack] and there are a bunch of thick Velcro straps included with the unit. If you load a bike properly (and it's not rocket science) the bike isn't going anywhere. Side to side or fore-aft and there's NO damage that's going to occur. This is a bad-ass rack. Not sure if it would work for a fat bike rim though.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.