mtbr member
    Apr 2008

the industry has gone 15/20mm, when will thule and yak catch up?

Ok. Most new bikes of any decent quality are coming with a 15mmTA. All my bikes are 20mm ta. I saw an interbike picture of a roof tray that you could put your 15/20mm axle thru. it was the first purpose built solution that I have seen. Is anything else like this coming out for 2013? Basically a roof tray designed for the new breed of bikes. QR is dying, and yakima and thule appear to be slow to the punch on this one.

thoughts?

H./

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    im still on 8mm? QR, havent seen the need to go to 15mm or even 20mm, and im not exacaly gentle to my bike.

even if i did i use a thule 591 for the roof so it just clamps the frame / wheels.

im sure they will catch up eventually

ballbuster

QRs are far from dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
    Ok. Most new bikes of any decent quality are coming with a 15mmTA. All my bikes are 20mm ta. I saw an interbike picture of a roof tray that you could put your 15/20mm axle thru. it was the first purpose built solution that I have seen. Is anything else like this coming out for 2013? Basically a roof tray designed for the new breed of bikes. QR is dying, and yakima and thule appear to be slow to the punch on this one.

thoughts?

H./
    I'd say the majority of roof racks are sold to roadies, therefore QR equipped bikes. And, I still don't believe the majority of mountain bikes are 15 or 20mm Thru Axle.

Also, there are loads of rack trays out there where you keep your wheels on. I have 3 Lock, plus a 1Up USA rack. None of my racks in the last 12 years require wheel removal.

And QR is far from dying. As long as road bikes use QRs, the majority of bikes will have QRs out there. All of my bikes that are not Leftys are QR (and one is 9mm thru axle QR, but the fork is the same). Like the other poster said, I'm not exactly gentle on my bikes.

Stop looking at Roadie trays, and look at the more universal stuff. The Thule Big Mouth/Lockjaw/ whatever they call it this week, solves all your problems.

FKA Malibu412
    Get a 15mm or 20mm adapter that clamps on a QR carrier?
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    The manufactures will build what the market demands… There are more than a billion bicycles in the world, I am sure several hundred million of them are on QR. 15/20mm makes up a very small part of the whole market.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Why not get something like a Thule Sidearm and then not have to worry about removing your front wheel at all?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    The manufactures will build what the market demands… There are more than a billion bicycles in the world, I am sure several hundred million of them are on QR. 15/20mm makes up a very small part of the whole market.

yes, it's totally true that the majority of bikes are not 15 or 20mm thru, I'd guess the majority of those 1,000,000,000+ bikes aren't qr either. I'd further guess fraction that will ever be transported on a car, let alone a $400 rack mounted on a car is miniscule, probably on the order of 0.1%. Manufacturers of those racks, that cost 10 times what the worldwide average bike cost, aren't designing for the global average bike owner.

OP: every rack company I know of has a wheels-on carrier. That solves the problem. To me, taking the wheel off to put a bike on a carrier hasn't been an acceptable solution for a long, long time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    yes, it's totally true that the majority of bikes are not 15 or 20mm thru, I'd guess the majority of those 1,000,000,000+ bikes aren't qr either. I'd further guess fraction that will ever be transported on a car, let alone a $400 rack mounted on a car is miniscule, probably on the order of 0.1%. Manufacturers of those racks, that cost 10 times what the worldwide average bike cost, aren't designing for the global average bike owner.
    I think you missed my point...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was thinking this myself. I have a fork mounted Thule roof rack with a 20 mm adapter. I think the vast majority of bikes out there still have a 9mm QR, yes the mountain bike segment has more thru axles but thats just in the last couple years.

I had a Thule Sidearm rack and found to be to unstable. The fork mounted Thule rack is still the most stable. Maybe one day Thule will make a thru axle rack but I wouldn't hold your breath.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    I just use wheel mount ones, so all my bikes fit, including my Fat Bike, 20mm axle bike, BMX bike, road bike.......super easy, no hassle, no swapping adapters, load and go.

code: mtbr2011
    Whispbar (Yakima) has a fork mount coming out in spring 2013 that is designed for their crossbars (will fit Thule aeroblades and aerobars too) that has 15mm t/a built in, as well as 9mm.
    thule unfortunately, missed the boat on this again, after beating them over the head with this information again and again. it seems they will be playing catch up on this in 2013 spring.

Inno, I believe already has a rack that accomodates both 15 and 20.

Hurricane is supposed to be coming out with something revolutionary too, but haven't seen it yet.

the new Whispbar rack, according to prototype sketches I've seen looks to be pretty cool.

Happy Trails
    How about us Lefty 's ??

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There are some racks that will be adaptable for 15mm and 20mm use. The point I designed the Fork Up products the way they are, as opposed to making straight mounts that mount directly on the rack and hold thru-axle forks, is that have you ever thought or tried to hold up a 40lb. bike while trying to thread your axle through your fork?, not an easy task. The Fork Up's were designed to be installed while your bike is on the ground, then put onto your roof rack as you would a bike with a 9mm axle.
    BTW, in the future, you'll be seeing alot more thru-axles, mostly 15mm, even on road bikes, due to disc brakes and the stresses involved around the 9mm axle/skewer, most in the industy are realizing the liability the 9mm axle/skewer is, especially when mated to disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah. I should have been more clear. I have two Sidearm trays. I've had high rollers in the past. I have used a hurricane Fork Up and currently have a rocky-mounts fly trap. I take my sidearms on and off the roof, which is annoying. I don't like how they get gunked up in the winter, or the aero hit my car takes with three sidearms on the roof, even with no bikes on it. I had a rockymounts tray I left on the roof all the time. It was low profile, silent, and just a great option to always have ready to go.

Kuat is making this tray, the rufee next season

So, what I wanted to know was, do I hold out and see if Yakima and Thule are making similar products, or get the kuat, because, apparently, they're the only other company fed up with using adaptors on roof racks. cracks and racks, thanks for the info.

I guess we're still a couple years out on this, for no good reason. More and more road bikes are going to come tapered with 15mm axles, particularly when hydro road disc brakes take off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
    Yeah. I should have been more clear. I have two Sidearm trays. I've had high rollers in the past. I have used a hurricane Fork Up and currently have a rocky-mounts fly trap. I take my sidearms on and off the roof, which is annoying. I don't like how they get gunked up in the winter, or the aero hit my car takes with three sidearms on the roof, even with no bikes on it. I had a rockymounts tray I left on the roof all the time. It was low profile, silent, and just a great option to always have ready to go.

Kuat is making this tray, the rufee next season

So, what I wanted to know was, do I hold out and see if Yakima and Thule are making similar products, or get the kuat, because, apparently, they're the only other company fed up with using adaptors on roof racks. cracks and racks, thanks for the info.

I guess we're still a couple years out on this, for no good reason. More and more road bikes are going to come tapered with 15mm axles, particularly when hydro road disc brakes take off.
    I was pretty impressed by the kuat rack when I saw it at interike, waiting for it to be released. I also have sidearms on my roof, three to be exact, the noise and fuel hit on my 80 mile round trip commute nearing stupid. I really am not a fan of taking wheels off and on but I cannot justify the fuel cost anymore.
    Pro Mountain Outfitters
    www.promountainoutfitters.com

Like us on FaceBook

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Why would I want a direct mount 15 or 20mm rack? Then I would just have to get an adapter for my 8mm QR bikes, which is silly. There are far more road/touring/whatever/8mm QR mountain bikes in the world than there are 15/20mm bikes.

Anyways, just get a Sidearm, 1UP, etc etc for the roof if you need to not fuss with a ForkUP adapter or similar. I have a Sidearm and an Echelon on my roof, the Sidearm gets most of the action anyway. And then I have a 15/20mm adapter for the Echelon for the times I need to carry two 15/20mm MTB's on my car.

mtbr member
    OP: stop taking your front wheel off when moving bike via car. You and your car will be cleaner, and you can keep modern axle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I didn't use the word "revoluntionary" did I? We are creating several new rack related products as well as some upgrades to the current and past Fork Up products.
    As we get the new products finished , you'll see them here first.