mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Ideas for carrying 5-6 MTB on the back of an SUV

I've searched but I don't even know what to search for to get what I'm looking for. Bike rack doesn't help at all.

Basically I'm looking for some ideas from anyone who might have built their own rack. A bunch of us are doing the San Juan Hut tour this summer and are driving from St. Louis to Durango. We'll be hauling 5-6 bikes out along with gear.

Ideally, I'd like build something that would hang the bikes and leave the front wheels on, since we won't have anywhere to store them inside the vehicle. I've seen one that was basically a long bar that went through the wheel and the bikes hung from that, but I don't like that idea.

I'm thinking something like this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    I'm thinking something like this
    NSR is the way to go IMHO.
    Guillaume

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by guilev View Post
    NSR is the way to go IMHO.
    I don't doubt that it's an amazing bike rack. But for one time use, I can't see spending the money. And I can build one for less, and it will suit our needs. In fact, it will probably be modeled after NSR. I was just hoping for some other ideas.

At one time I found some great ideas on a Jeep forum, but I've searched and can't find them again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    For one time use, U-haul trailer?

mtbr member
    hidperf... what sort of Jeep are you putting the rack on? The reason I ask is I have a Wrangler and clearing the spare with my KŁat NV was an issue. The NSR has solved my woes. Yes, it's very spendy for what you get, but you are paying for the engineering. It has it's flaws... but every rack I've ever used had some flaws.
    I don't think you are going to find a 5 or 6 bike rack out there to meet your need other than the NSR. When I had the NV 4-bike, the long overhang was unsettling... it seemed to stretch a mile past the bumper.
    If it's a one-time use, the U-haul is good advice.

mtbr member extraordinair
    borrow or rent a trailer.

This one held 12 bikes, and all the gear for 10 of us below the tarp.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member extraordinair
    meh. sorry about the double image(s), messed that up somehow. You get the idea.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    That is awesome.

Ideas for carrying 5-6 MTB on the back of an SUV

Trailer. Hands down. I have plans to get a utility trailer to carry multiple canoes or two canoes up high and bikes and camping gear below. You just have more than enough flexibility with a trailer

Resident Curmudgeon
    also consider getting a front hitch and putting a few bikes on a rack in the front and a few off the rear
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregon2wheels View Post
    For one time use, U-haul trailer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    hidperf... what sort of Jeep are you putting the rack on? The reason I ask is I have a Wrangler and clearing the spare with my KŁat NV was an issue. The NSR has solved my woes. Yes, it's very spendy for what you get, but you are paying for the engineering. It has it's flaws... but every rack I've ever used had some flaws.
    I don't think you are going to find a 5 or 6 bike rack out there to meet your need other than the NSR. When I had the NV 4-bike, the long overhang was unsettling... it seemed to stretch a mile past the bumper.
    If it's a one-time use, the U-haul is good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    borrow or rent a trailer.

This one held 12 bikes, and all the gear for 10 of us below the tarp.

Bacons - It's not going on my Jeep. My buddy is driving and we're taking his Tahoe. I was hoping someone else might have built something similar to the NSR so I could get a few ideas before building one.

Gregon2wheels and Stupendous Man - I've already mentioned a trailer because I have one that we used on a previous trip and I even made an attachment that held 4 bikes that time. But I was vetoed on that idea. I agree 100% that a trailer would be the ideal way to haul the bikes, all of our gear, and all of our luggage. And we'd have plenty of room inside for us then.
    BTW Stupendous Man, that's a badass setup. Maybe I'll forward that to all the guys I'm going with.