Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Idea for hauling bike in Ford Sporttrac

I'm tired of just laying my bike in the back of my sporttrac.

Idea for hauling bike in Ford Sporttrac-imageuploadedbytapatalk1347238568.360056.jpg

Idea for hauling bike in Ford Sporttrac-imageuploadedbytapatalk1347238616.883624.jpg

Idea for hauling bike in Ford Sporttrac-imageuploadedbytapatalk1347238655.857850.jpg

Idea for hauling bike in Ford Sporttrac-imageuploadedbytapatalk1347238691.239001.jpg

What I want to do is try and install some kind of bike rail with tire holder like some hitch mounted racks I've seen
    The front tire would need it's own rail system so I can close the tailgate.
    Thoughts

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just hang it over the tailgate. I've got a similar bed on my Frontier and it's the easiest possible way to carry a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You could put the front wheel in one of the front corners of the bed and use tie-downs on the bars (like hauling a dirtbike) then put the whole bike angled in the bed so the tailgate shuts......here is a kinda overhead view [/] or [\] then use 2 pull-cinch straps to hold the bike vertical.

The easier was is over-the tailgate.
    2009 Trek Fuel EX8 Black/White

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You could make a bar that goes on top of sides of your bed up near the cab. Take your front wheel off and use skewers to hold the bike in place. You could still should be able to close your tailgate.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Normally, I do hang the front end over the tailgate, but it scratches up the paint. Im hoping to be able to fit another adult bike plus two kids bikes in a similar fashion

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post
    Normally, I do hang the front end over the tailgate, but it scratches up the paint. Im hoping to be able to fit another adult bike plus two kids bikes in a similar fashion
    Get a tailgate cover. My buddy has a Dakine one for his Dakota. It's padded and won't scratch your truck, and is cheap, and easy to put on and take off, takes less than a minute. That's what I'll be doing when I buy a truck. I just can't bring myself to sell my wrx first lol

mtbr member
    Check out seasucker dot com

Let me know if your bike stays suctioned to the roof. ;-)
    "Boom"........"Regard me".