Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skottt160
    Note, this is not a personal attack on anyone, just observations.

Prodigal Son, ironically, the way you chose to attack tunicatrails by definition applies to you as well. You say that he lives his life according to the standards he sees as best, and makes his actions fit accordingly. Then you say well, that gives you no right to impose your will on others.

You live your life the same way. I do too. I am writing this because it seems like the best action for me to do at the time. So I do it. It would not be rational to live any other way. So now there is just all these different reference points coming in about what is right, what is wasteful, and what is not. You say he is not objective, and can't tell others what to do. I say you suffer from the exact same situation. Again, ironically, this post does too.

This kind of represents my issue with much of the environmental movement. While I sympathize with many views, I can't really ally myself with them. The problem is end-based reasoning. Using end-based reasoning, anything is justifiable, or not justifiable. If we look at the earth and say, this is where we need to be, and doing actions that get us there are right, we will be in deep doodoo. Outlandish things can be justified, because the end goal makes them alright. The same goes for criticism too. Anything can be made to be bad, and not conducive towards the final goal. Personally, the way I think it should work is our actions and the things we live by should result in a world that is happy/sustainable/whatever, rather than the idea of that world dictating our current actions. For example, we could say that we want to be energy independent or something in ten years. That would be "good." Now, a way to do that would be to cull our population to a size that can live off the resources in our own area. That would result in a goal that is good, right? Action justified.
    I say no. What we live by should not determined by where we want to go, but where we go should be determined by how we live now.

I guess what I'm saying is, your accusation of tunicatrails operates on faulty logic. You say people aren't held to his standards, because his voice is not objective. News flash, yours isn't either, and neither is mine.
    This is what I think:
    Where we want to go will have impact on how we live now; and how we live now will then lead to how we live in the future. Set up the goal, take actions, then we will get there. It is that simple!

Just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Sorry Highdell. I was responding to Tunica EnviroNazi, who responded to my post, but I didn't include the body of the post so it was confusing. My bad.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    Sorry Highdell. I was responding to Tunica EnviroNazi, who responded to my post, but I didn't include the body of the post so it was confusing. My bad.
    it's all good, no need to be sorry
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2006
    After dragging the family around for 15 years with a jeep Cherokee and a small utility trailer tent camping we stepped up to a 23' Outback side loading toy hauler. room for the family, 3 motorcycles and the mtn bikes go in the truck. An 05 2500HD Silverado, chose to purchase a std trailer over a 5th wheel to maintain the truck storage space. The setup works great. We have had a bad camp experience, drunks next space over but that happens at MTB races too doesn't it? The only problem with the trailer set up is we don't get out as much as we would like.

mtbr member

Wow!

When I started this thread two years ago I never woulda thought it woulda taken such a long roundabout journey out and back!

We still have our Trail Mite, still love it. We've taken it across the USA and back 3 times now and will do it again in the years to come.

But, we may downsize a bit. How 'bout this???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

mtbr member
    I like that^^ I wonder how much that thing weighs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    We have a 21 foot Bigfoot trailer that gives us 4 season Rv-ing fun.
    Gun Control Fights Crime Like Gasoline Fights Fire

is buachail foighneach me
    on a singlespeed bike with a coaster brake pulling a homemade trailer. that kid flat out rules. there's gotta be more info on him out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot
    Ours is a '72 vintage TrailMite.

What kind of travel rigs do the rest of you have?
    Cool little unit! Looks like fun.

Ours is a 2002 VW Eurovan.

Glad to see that Tunica stroke punched out. Getting awfully tired if these ice age... err global warming... er climate change... er carbon footprint statists telling others what to do.

Last edited by J_Westy; 08-11-2009 at 08:05 PM.

jms
    mtbr member

Thidwick the 84 Westy

Here's Thidwick the 84 Westy, rescued from the crap heap, recycled and refitted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I took a couple of pictures of the old beater this weekend. It works great for our young family and keeps me on the trails.

For those that are wondering, the bike did cost more.

Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd prefer a pop-up that fits in a standard garage so I don't have to deal with storage (hopefully sound logic) and I am looking on CL but any ideas on what to look for? Do pop-ups come with heat/air as well. Does all that run on propane? Looking for a bit of an edumication so I can search more intelligently. No plans on going to Louisiana but would like to explore the west.

I already bought a used vehicle to pull the camper with so half the battle is over.

mtbr member
    Those are nice campers.

I really want an small camper trailer. I am looking for a used ford ranger with a v-6. I Looked at one today, but my mechanic said it was rusty underneath and not to buy it.

I would love a tear drop camper but I want an indoor kitchen and would perfer a bathroom. I don't own much stuff and have a tiny dog. i am also small. I think I could live in a small camper and travel.

Anybody have solar panels for thier RV? Would a small one charge a battery for a tiny camper? I don't want to camp at RV parks. National forest is free.

As far as evo-friendly goes, my future ford ranger would not get bad gas milage and I would use far less electricity than if I lived in a house.

Do any companies make pop-up truck bed campers for small trucks like the Rangers?

Don't worry, be happy!
    National Forest is free if you are camping at a primitive site. Most NF campgrounds, even those without hookups, run 8-12$ a night.

mtbr member
    RidersofDslum,
    We have a solar panel on our small camper. It is always on and continuously charges a 12V battery mounted on the trailer tongue. Provides more than enough electricity to keep the batteries topped off, but it won't run non 12 volt electronics such as a/c or microwave. I have plugged in an inverter and used some hair clippers, though.
    I don't know any name brands, but I have seen many slide in campers for small pick ups.

mtbr member

My tent trailer

Picked it up this summer for $1800, spent the next 5 weeks living in it with my wife and our German Shepard while traveling in BC. It was great!
    IMG_0360.JPG
    Allowed us to sleep places like this
    IMG_2577.JPG
    and ride trails like this.
    IMG_2463.JPG
    IMG_2504.JPG

Way better than my tent (which is an awesome tent), way cheaper than hotels or BnBs. Pulled easily with my 01 F150 and only cost me about 1-2 liters per 100km.
    Used it at one 24hr this summer, my wife has informed me that we will never be tenting at races again.

bike junkie
    Mar 2004
    Awesome!

Makes me jones to get out like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
    RidersofDslum,
    We have a solar panel on our small camper. It is always on and continuously charges a 12V battery mounted on the trailer tongue. Provides more than enough electricity to keep the batteries topped off, but it won't run non 12 volt electronics such as a/c or microwave. I have plugged in an inverter and used some hair clippers, though.
    I don't know any name brands, but I have seen many slide in campers for small pick ups.
    About how much did it cost to do something like that? Would it run a heater over night with a charge?

I did a little searchy searchy last night and found a lot of small campers a ford ranger could pull. They do have slide ins for this model but they are really small and don't have bathrooms. the trailers looked better for me.

I am sick of paying high rent to live in the mountains and having crazy roomates.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RidersofDslum
    About how much did it cost to do something like that? Would it run a heater over night with a charge?

I did a little searchy searchy last night and found a lot of small campers a ford ranger could pull. They do have slide ins for this model but they are really small and don't have bathrooms. the trailers looked better for me.

I am sick of paying high rent to live in the mountains and having crazy roomates.

You can find lots of information on extended off grid camping here.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity
    You can find lots of information on extended off grid camping here.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
    Great site, been on it for a while, those adventure trailers are sick.....
    "a well ridden rock, gathers no moss"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Going on a biking trip in a couple weeks here where we will be sleeping at the trailhead and figuring I didn't want to sleep in a tent on the ground, I found out that with my rear seats folded flat, I can sleep in the car. It's an '02 Protege5. So I guess until I can build a Teardrop, the wagon (techincally a hatchback, but it looks more like a wagon) will be my "RV".

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    back when I had no money in the 90's I camped everywhere. Now that I am older and have a family we have a 31 foot C class RV.

like someone else said.....nothing like roughing it with a hot shower, AC, full kitchen and Satellite TV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RidersofDslum

We bought the camper used from a couple that had it put in when new. I don't know about a heater, those usually require a lot of electricity. In theory, anything you can plug into a 12V power should work because there is a cigarette lighter type outlet in the camper. When exposed to sunlight it continuously tops off the battery like a vehicle's alternator. There is a little panel inside that tells you how much voltage and current are being produced. All the fans and lights in the camper run off the 12V battery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    Thanks for your comments, HotBlack. My goal on this thread was absolutely to provide some kind of retort to post after post of people unabashedly proud of what they're doing with their RVs, something I see as terrible to a tragicomic degree. The vitriolic attacks I'm getting, with folks like Prodigal Son doing their best to research my personal life, but most others just lazily saying "go f yourself," are still both just attempts to distract from the issue at hand, which is RV usage and how incredibly wasteful it is.

I do use less resources than most of you all. There is an empirical measure of this. I could do better, but guess what, I don't have to be the Ghandi of environmentalism in order to hold my views, and neither do you all! All I'm asking is for others not to be so grossly, thoughtlessly wasteful.

RV owners I gather could do much, much, much, much, much better.
    http://atlas.aaas.org/index.php?part=2

Thankfully RV sales are in sharp decline, and like second hand smoke, I believe it's an issue that should continue to be chased "out of the building" like the once all-powerful tobacco lobby:
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008...l-grade-ahead/
    http://www.rvbusiness.com/2009/06/st...bles-down-395/

You can be certain (absolutely) that I would be living off the grid if I could afford it. Last year I talked with three contractors about it. Again, like I've said, many green strategies have their own rewards; in the long run it would save me money. I've researched hydroelectric and solar dishes too; I have a plan, I'm not going to throw up my hands because these problems seem too complex and demanding right now.

Hey, look at Jay Leno, a man who loves his classic automobiles. He has an ancient electric car, and a new Tesla roadster. He understands the entire history of motor vehicles. His massive garage is also completely off the grid, he even sells back power to the electric company. All I have to say is, wow. If all people, of means or poor, indulged their fantasies in the intelligent, considered fashion that Mr. Leno does, we wouldn't have a problem.
    Any way we can help you get off the grid faster?

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    The answer to the pollution cost of solar cell production in China or anywhere: very little
    http://www.chem.uu.nl/nws/www/research/e&e/e&e_rena.htm
    Its cost could be exacerbated of course if the cells are not durable. So far, so good, and we're not talking about a massive amount of material regardless.

RV's or other vehicles on the other hand should be used as long as possible I agree, even if they're less energy efficient than a new car. Housing, I don't know. My mother lives in a 1930s-era house with poor insulation. Very little new material has been expended to keep the house standing but it certainly leaks energy vs new energy-efficient construction.

I prefer grid-tied solar systems. I use my small starter solar system just to power battery chargers for AA rechargable batteries and so on. The ideal with a large grid-tied system would be to generate more electricity than you use overall and sell it back to the power company during the day, not for the small change it'd earn of course, but being your own zero-emissions power company. Show me an RV covered with solar panels and I'll be duly impressed.

I would counter that it's easier to question the source of criticism than it is to more accurately judge what we all know is going on. When we dissolve into relativism, there's a danger of shrugging the whole sustainability thing off with "it's quite too complicated." I'm not going to do that. Kudos to guys like sean salach who also have details of a plan to improve their own environmental impact (and quality of life). That's how you get it done.
    Holy crap, shut your whiney ass! I grew up in south La (Lafayette) and all of the trails south of Ruston SUCK. You live in the land of morons, dude. Like you said, it's your choice.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast