Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Ordered a Brave just like this a few months back. It should roll out of the factory in two weeks and we'll be picking it up at the end of this month:

How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-5972459_2.jpg

How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-img_0906.jpg
    How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-wb_53c03615_tb-b2f-15.jpg
    How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-wb_53bd9d9f_tb-f2b-15.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
    Ordered a Brave just like this a few months back. It should roll out of the factory in two weeks and we'll be picking it up at the end of this month:
    Saw those at the local Rv show. Pretty damn cool looking. Retro look but brand new. I've got a new toyhauler (trailer) on order, should be in any day now. Can't wait to get it and build the bike rack (in the garage!). Will post pics when it shows up.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

Your Best Friend

It's that time of year again.

Time to bust out the RV's! Spring is deep into it's cycle and the trails are dry.

We took our new 31.5 footer down to Virgin and parked at a friends house just across from the JEM trailhead. I didn't get much riding in but the two laps I did on the new "More Cowbell" trail with 4 of my 5 kids was priceless. So proud of all of them. My 14 year old son and 13 year old daughter are fearless and fast while my 9 year old daughter and 7 year old son surprised me with their ability and determination.How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-camper-setup-2-.jpg
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Pulled my new bikehauler home a few weeks back. 37' with a 12' garage in the back for the bikes and kayaks. Best route I could find to take it all with and keep the bikes inside and out of the living area.

14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Been doing lots of hard work on my old GMC, just need to rebuild the pass side rear brakes and run a fresh generator fuel line. Then it's to the hills for summer, I wonder if my wife has figured out there are trails by the campgrounds I picked?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camper Setup (2).jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	981024
    Wow, I love the upper deck on that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Our new setup

How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-20150524_105629-small.jpg
    3 bikes inside the camper and 1 inside the car. 4 trips so far. So good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubee View Post

Name:	20150524_105629-small.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	991775
    3 bikes inside the camper and 1 inside the car. 4 trips so far. So good.
    Nice-Livin' Lite trailers are pretty dandy for their weight/size.

mtbr member
    Not as elaborate as some of the other setups on here, but suits our needs just fine. Picture taken this March at a bike race in St. George, Utah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-20150308_114635.jpg  

"Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Our set up

2014 Kodiak 240BHSL (27') that we tow with an 08' Land Rover LR3. We've evolved over the past 20 or so years. Started with an 87' Vanagon Syncro, then a Fleetwood pop up and now this. With 2 kids and a dog this works great for us. We carry a Honda EU 3000 generator and mainly camp the backcountry.
    Off to Moab after work today
    How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-img_0788.jpg
    Randy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks. Yeah, our vehicle is a crossover and doesn't have much tow capacity so the LL's were an attractive option. Found this used and thought it would be a good starter to see if it works for us. The camper is pretty small but it (just) suits the needs of 2 adults and 1 big dog who don't plan to live in it and are camping at full service state parks and the like. We wanted to be closer to the trail than a hotel but ready to give up the tent. We've had it out 3 times in the past 6 weeks with more planned soon. So far so good!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Has anyone seen DIY teardrop trailers that have been designed with mountain biking in mind i.e. have some kind of workshop built in. This would probably just be storage for a toolbox and workstand and possibly and fold out workbench on the side. I've been geeking out on DIY teardrops but haven't seen anything like this. I'd also have accommodations for some kind of shower for riders and bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Finally took the new hauler (pic in post 354) out with some bikes in it. 8 bikes on my homemade rack. Worked great.

From the rear door

From the side door

Glad to have the 12' garage though I really only wanted 10'.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

boom

How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-18143018400_0ecf6994a6_b.jpg
    How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-19820981834_a356ae49c1_c.jpg
    How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-20449889651_93d337b672_c.jpg
    How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-20449869881_09b807dbd9_c.jpg
    How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-20449876231_a75eb9be93_c.jpg

Rohloff
    Nice, sensible build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My wife and I have a Toyota Highlander 5,000 tow capacity and I have been thinking about getting a camper to go on trips with when the kids get older. They are 1 and 4 now.

I'm looking for recommendations of campers that the Highlander can tow fairly easily and have room for the 4 of us (cramped is fine). Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    My wife and I have a Toyota Highlander 5,000 tow capacity and I have been thinking about getting a camper to go on trips with when the kids get older. They are 1 and 4 now.

I'm looking for recommendations of campers that the Highlander can tow fairly easily and have room for the 4 of us (cramped is fine). Any ideas?
    5,000 isn't huge for towing capacity, so you will be looking at something ultra-lite. I like the Forrest River R-pods. Those are super-popular out here in Oregon. Livin Lite makes some nice light trailers too. Should be all kinds of pop ups you could tow as well.

You can't have too much towing capacity, so my advice would be to not push it. With your towing capacity, I would not go heavier than an r-Pod. Every person I know with a travel trailer has upgraded their tow vehicle as soon as they could because they quickly found out they needed more than they originally thought.

And why wait until the kids get older? Yours are at perfect ages. Our friends had their baby out in their trailer at about 6 months. They have done big camping road trips with him and he's not yet 2. Get out there!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Ultralight trailers. With a 5000 pound limit, you will NOT want to tow more than 3000 pounds any great distances or on long mountainous grades. Think pop-up trailers. A hard wall travel trailer, with room for 4 will have a larger front area , and will be harder for the Highlander to pull at high speeds.

At lower speeds it's OK , but trailers become a big drag at highway speeds, and that's where you need a more powerful engine. You will expect to get HALF your normal highway MPG when towing a trailer. Period. If you get 25 normal highway, then about 12 mpg will be the norm for a gas powered vehicle.

If you can afford to get a stronger tow vehicle (V8, or diesel) you should consider it before shopping trailers. You will tow more comfortably.

mtbr member

As already mentioned, you'll be wanting to look into something super light. Certainly much less than 5000 lbs. I would say your vehicle would best be matched up with some type of soft or hard-sided pop up. I would say to shop for something with a gross weight rating of no more than 3500 lbs and a dry weight around 2500 lbs. Most any pop up would fall under these numbers, and even some of the smallest hard sided travel trailers. You'll probably have better luck finding a popup with the capacity to sleep 4 comfortably than a true hard sided TT.

Just a bit of advice when trying to determine "what can my vehicle tow", do not base it on max tow capacity rating. That's really a fictitious rating based on no passengers or cargo in the vehicle and usually based on a stripped down version of the vehicle. Start adding passengers and cargo and options to the vehicle and that weight all reduces the tow capacity. Campers tend to have a relatively high tongue weight to trailer weight ratio, generally assumed to be 12-15% of the trailer weight, which is supported by the vehicle's trailer hitch and counts against the vehicles cargo carrying capacity. So if you're concerned about staying under all of your vehicle's recommended max capacity ratings, the cargo carrying capacity will be the first number you pop and it will be from a trailer much lighter than the vehicle's max tow capacity rating. Your specific vehicle's max cargo carrying capacity value can be found on your driver's side door or door pillar. The weight of everything you plan on loading in the vehicle including you and the passengers plus the tongue weight of the trailer should not exceed that value.

Similarly, don't use a trailers "dry weight" numbers on their own when deciding if your vehicle can tow it. The only time you tow your camper trailer at that dry weight is when you drive it home brand new. Then you start loading it with camp gear and water, food, propane, battery/batteries, and you are now weighing much more. People pack and load differently, but for planning purposes you can assume that the trailer weight when ready to camp can be 500 to 1500 lbs more than its dry weight. I would say estimate 500+ lbs for gear/food and 8 lbs/gallon of fresh water you will bring with you.

Rohloff

http://casitatraveltrailers.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdc View Post
    Casitas are very cool, but I don't think you'll be sleeping 4 in there. 2 adults no problem, but you'll have to break down the dining table into the master bed daily and the ones I've seen don't have any more sleeping capacity beyond the main bed. Not in the non-5th wheel version anyway.

EDIT: I checked the website and see that they have 16' and 17' models with capacity for sleeping 4. Certainly a 2 adults and 2 small children type of setup, but I suppose that is exactly what the Toyota Highlander poster was looking for. I have only seen the 13' models when we where shopping some something like that years ago.
    Last edited by ewarnerusa; 09-11-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: check the website, I guess there are options for sleeping 4

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    Casitas are very cool, but I don't think you'll be sleeping 4 in there. 2 adults no problem, but you'll have to break down the dining table into the master bed daily and the ones I've seen don't have any more sleeping capacity beyond the main bed. Not in the non-5th wheel version anyway.

EDIT: I checked the website and see that they have 16' and 17' models with capacity for sleeping 4. Certainly a 2 adults and 2 small children type of setup, but I suppose that is exactly what the Toyota Highlander poster was looking for. I have only seen the 13' models when we where shopping some something like that years ago.
    Casita's are ideal for 1-2 people. I've seen people add bunk beds. I'm not sure if that's a factory option or something retrofitted. Every RV is a compromise. When you are limited in towing capacity your options are limited.

Bunk Bed Deluxe - The Casita Club Forum - The Casita Club Forums

mtbr member
    May 2012
    We take our bikes when we go away with our caravan. Bit of luxury after the ride. Decent shower and great for all year round use.

Looked at the Casitas page.. I am glad we have our caravan ....lol..
    Bailey Of Bristol
    Last edited by morepower; 09-21-2015 at 01:58 AM.

mtbr member
    I'd rally one of these.
    https://youtu.be/ZiejAhol4Ps

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Airstream

Here's our setup. We just purchased after moving out west. Been a great way to get the family out into the wilderness and me out on new trails. How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-dscf0798.jpgHow many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-dscf0796.jpg

mtbr member
    I just got this recently. It will slowly be built up into a RV/Hauler. Right now it's just a Hauler/Steel tent. I can make it camp ready quickly using my tent gear and stuff from my offroad pop-up tent trailer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-thumbnail_0409161223%5B1%5D.jpg  

2015 Giant Stance 2 - 1 X 10 11/42 30T
    2016 Diamondback Insight 2

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Looking forward to seeing what you do! What kind of truck is it?

mtbr member
    Freightliner (Mercedes) Sprinter.
    2015 Giant Stance 2 - 1 X 10 11/42 30T
    2016 Diamondback Insight 2

mtbr member

Hallmark K2

Just big enough for our family of four and a dog. Designed to be used 4 seasons, and capable on back roads. Bikes fit nicely on a Thule T2 extension.

Somewhere north of Crested Butte, CO.
    How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-img_0906.jpg

Glamour shot.
    How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-photocopy.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Very nice Brentos! Looks like a Ram pickup. What camper is that?
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24 View Post
    Very nice Brentos! Looks like a Ram pickup. What camper is that?
    Thanks.

2005 Ram 2500 diesel 6-speed manual. Cab controlled air bags & fox 2.0 shocks. A few engine tweaks that the prior owner performed.

The camper is a Hallmark K2. (2009). We love it.

Furnace, hot water, filtered drinking water, refrigerator/freezer, exterior shower, range, 45 gal total fresh water, cassette toilet, insulated sidewalls, twin 6v batteries w/ solar, snap-in insulated window covering for cold weather.

We'd probably have something more bare bones if it weren't for the kids...but this makes it so easy to get out on a weekend trip with them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I live in my TT full time but have been in the same place for a long time. I am about to become mobile and I need to carry 4 bikes. I need a 2" receiver type hitch for the back of the trailer. I have a variety of frame formats so I need something that carries everything. Any suggestions? Thanks!

How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-img_20160414_124001045.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The wife and I got a travel trailer about 6 weeks ago. Our second trip was to the local state park with trails. We were only going to stay 4 nights, but ended up doing 12.

We have a few trips planned for it between now and September, and I know there will be more added in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn_cyclist View Post
    I live in my TT full time but have been in the same place for a long time. I am about to become mobile and I need to carry 4 bikes. I need a 2" receiver type hitch for the back of the trailer. I have a variety of frame formats so I need something that carries everything. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    There are 2" receivers made to fit a standard RV bumper. Here's one example, and it looks pretty solid. Swagman RV Bumper Adapter : Cabela's

Look for a 2" receiver bike rack that holds the bikes by the wheels, in my experience, theThule T2 seems to be the most adaptable to different bikes, and has the fewest issues with interference between bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn_cyclist View Post

Name:	IMG_20160414_124001045.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	1068026
    There are a lot of 2 inch receiver, tray style bike racks . 1upUSA, Thule, Yakima, and others. A standard 4 inch camper bumper can have a 2 inch receiver attachment installed bolt on, easy and cheap, about $50. MAKE CERTAIN that your 4 inch Camper bumper is capable of carrying a loaded 4 bike rack. Some camper bumpers CAN'T be used for heavy loads. Some can be reinforced by a welding shop to handle the stress.

I see from your picture you may be able to add roof rack mounted bike carries to your pickup. I personally hate the roof mounted bike carriers, but that's just personal, sometimes it's the only option for certain vehicles.

Also look into the bike racks that mount on the A-Frame of the trailer over the propane tanks just in front of the camper shell. There are a couple out there. I think one brand is made in Canada.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    Thanks.

2005 Ram 2500 diesel 6-speed manual. Cab controlled air bags & fox 2.0 shocks. A few engine tweaks that the prior owner performed.

The camper is a Hallmark K2. (2009). We love it.

Furnace, hot water, filtered drinking water, refrigerator/freezer, exterior shower, range, 45 gal total fresh water, cassette toilet, insulated sidewalls, twin 6v batteries w/ solar, snap-in insulated window covering for cold weather.

We'd probably have something more bare bones if it weren't for the kids...but this makes it so easy to get out on a weekend trip with them.
    Looked them up and all I can say is wow! All really nice. I might get back into a pickup one day. This would be sweet for trips that is for sure.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

Team Livemedium
    Got a lil pup!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678