Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 350
  1. #151
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    Bar ends on a riser bar!?!?...
    you know it
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  2. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    I will admit, if it wasn't clear, that there's a big difference between a pop-up camper and a $300,000 motorhome.
    There is a big difference to the most of the RVs that have been posted up here and your base assumption. There are a bunch of Westfalias, Tent trailers, Tear Drops and Hybrids a handful largers trails and only a couple Motorhomes. Did you factor all of this into your calculations? What is the gas milage of a westfalia in comparison to a typical SUV that you sell all over the place?

    It doesn't take take too many trips with a trailer or motorhome to figure out when its costing you too much in gas and would have been better off getting a hotel. I've got a 21' with a rear slide bed. We try and keep our weekend trips close to home and only drive 3 hours if its for a 4-5 day weekend at least.

    If we are going to drive further than that then we'll pull the ski boat instead. In comparison that make the trailer seem like a dream on gas but heh I work for an oil company and we all gotta do our part right

    But seriously, how do annual rv rental site factor into the RV use question? You know I drag it out in May and pick it up in September. Then drive my Jetta TDI and get 60 mpg for the rest of the summer...

    How do these factor into the whole RV carbon footpring?

  3. #153
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    Ahem, yes, people like Highdell, Msimmons, are the ones I'm referring to. I'm not exactly sure what the heck AscentCanada is talking about, but as I understand it, he's probably one of them too. There's plenty of fools like this around, many more than there are concerned, high-functioning citizens. I'm a little sickened now.

    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    yee-haw!

    Sean Salach, I've sorted your link up and down:
    http://www.eredux.com/states/index.p...=DESC&rows=228

    I'm not seeing much of any relationship to climate and carbon footprint in the USA. It doesn't matter much in my view. For one thing I freely admit that people around me are wasteful and uncaring ("yee-haw"), but so are reserved Vermonters. Secondly, and most tragically, we're all getting a little warmer because of what we're all doing with coal-burning power plants and auto exhaust, no matter where we live.

    I see rankings in carbon footprint (#1 being worst)
    1. Texas
    2. California
    3. Pennsylvania
    4. Ohio
    5. Florida
    6. Indiana
    7. Illinois
    8. New York
    9. Michigan
    10. Louisiana

    I see per captia carbon output (#1 being worst):
    1. Vermont
    2. Rhode Island
    3. New York
    4. Idaho
    5. California
    6. Oregon
    7. Connecticut
    8. Washington
    9. Massachusetts
    10. New Jersey

  4. #154
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,378
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    Ahem, yes, people like Highdell, Msimmons, are the ones I'm referring to. I'm not exactly sure what the heck AscentCanada is talking about, but as I understand it, he's probably one of them too. There's plenty of fools like this around, many more than there are concerned, high-functioning citizens. I'm a little sickened now.
    huh?
    what about me?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  5. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    I'm not exactly sure what the heck AscentCanada is talking about, but as I understand it, he's probably one of them too.
    I'm one of what? This is typical flame baiting when someone comes into a forum discussion to stir up an argument without any real substance behind their argument. So just what are you trying to accomplish by contributing to this thread?

    My point is that most people that have posted up here have small trailers or Westfalia vans. So how do these compare to the $300,000 motorhomes that you are basing your argument on? They don't.

    I quick search on google brings back the gas mileage of a westfalia, What do you drive that make your footprint so small and a Westfalia so wasteful?

    If I pull my trailer twice a season once to the a season rv site and once back home. During the week I live next to the train to commute to work, then on the weekend I drive a Jetta TDI to the trailer.

    So did you even look through this thread before comparing everyone to using a huge motorhome? And even if you do pull a trailer with a gas guzzler there are options to lessen your carbon footprint.

  6. #156
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,903
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    Ahem, yes, people like Highdell, Msimmons, are the ones I'm referring to. I'm not exactly sure what the heck AscentCanada is talking about, but as I understand it, he's probably one of them too. There's plenty of fools like this around, many more than there are concerned, high-functioning citizens. I'm a little sickened now.




    Sean Salach, I've sorted your link up and down:
    http://www.eredux.com/states/index.p...=DESC&rows=228

    I'm not seeing much of any relationship to climate and carbon footprint in the USA. It doesn't matter much in my view. For one thing I freely admit that people around me are wasteful and uncaring ("yee-haw"), but so are reserved Vermonters. Secondly, and most tragically, we're all getting a little warmer because of what we're all doing with coal-burning power plants and auto exhaust, no matter where we live.

    I see rankings in carbon footprint (#1 being worst)
    1. Texas
    2. California
    3. Pennsylvania
    4. Ohio
    5. Florida
    6. Indiana
    7. Illinois
    8. New York
    9. Michigan
    10. Louisiana

    I see per captia carbon output (#1 being worst):
    1. Vermont
    2. Rhode Island
    3. New York
    4. Idaho
    5. California
    6. Oregon
    7. Connecticut
    8. Washington
    9. Massachusetts
    10. New Jersey
    i think your per capita rankings might be backward. i think the more green the state has, the 'greener' it is, and the grey represents carbon. they aren't very explanatory regarding they're ranking system. there is no way that vermont is the highest per capita for carbon footprint. i just can't see it. and alaska has to be pretty damned high for carbon footprint. there's no emissions testing here outside of anchorage and practically everyone drives an awd or 4x4. not to mention the motorized toys we love up here. so that would mean that all but one of the top ten greenest states per capita are states with mild to cold climates.

  7. #157
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,903
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    huh?
    what about me?

    he said you're a fool. he's challenging you to an E-slap fight. pants optional.

  8. #158
    (Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Reputation: gregg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    6,892
    Okay, this awesome thread about RV'ing and mountain biking is about to be locked unless the thread highjack about carbon footprints stops now. That isn't what this thread is about, and if you want to debate that stuff, you will have to start your own discussion on it somewhere else.

    -gregg, Mtbr site manager
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

    Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

    Mtbr YouTube Channel

  9. #159
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    The title of this thread, "How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??" is a question that deserves an answer. I feel I have the right to object to them inasmuch as they aren't here with me and why. This is a topic of discussion on a forum centered on mountain biking, which is a self-propelled form of transportation through a natural setting.

    If carbon footprint is off the table, there are plenty of other reasons to debate why they shouldn't exist or be used by mountain bikers, but please allow debate.

    Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    Okay, this awesome thread about RV'ing and mountain biking is about to be locked unless the thread highjack about carbon footprints stops now. That isn't what this thread is about, and if you want to debate that stuff, you will have to start your own discussion on it somewhere else.

    -gregg, Mtbr site manager

  10. #160
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,315
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    The title of this thread, "How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??" is a question that deserves an answer. I feel I have the right to object to them inasmuch as they aren't here with me and why. This is a topic of discussion on a forum centered on mountain biking, which is a self-propelled form of transportation through a natural setting.

    If carbon footprint is off the table, there are plenty of other reasons to debate why they shouldn't exist or be used by mountain bikers, but please allow debate.
    I think you have made your point--repeatedly. Now you are just badgering people.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  11. #161
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    The title of this thread, "How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??" is a question that deserves an answer. I feel I have the right to object to them inasmuch as they aren't here with me and why. This is a topic of discussion on a forum centered on mountain biking, which is a self-propelled form of transportation through a natural setting.

    If carbon footprint is off the table, there are plenty of other reasons to debate why they shouldn't exist or be used by mountain bikers, but please allow debate.
    Nobody said you can't beat your own drum/preach/object or whatever it is you do, just not in this thread. Start your own. You could title it "How many idealistic,self absorbed,hypocrites in MTBR-land??" It'll be huge!

  12. #162
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    Way to hide behind the teacher.

    Many of the names you just called me mbmb65 encourage contradiction. If I continue on moral grounds, I'm idealistic. If I continue listing facts based upon my own experience, I'm self absorbed. If I point out mistruth from the numerous people here searching for something, anything, to "Al Gore" me with, I'm a hypocrite merely for acknowledging it.

    I would like to point out to the moderators that this is the Passion forum. What I feel strongly about, you may not share the same enthusiasm for. I am willing to take the heat upon me. Just about all of my posts have been responses to a question for me, questions of course being the most polite way to say it. I think I can continue to keep my cool on this thread, since it's so fairly easy to retort the blatant fallacies, but if you can't agree to allow this, I'd appreciate the consideration of a thread lock.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    Nobody said you can't beat your own drum/preach/object or whatever it is you do, just not in this thread. Start your own. You could title it "How many idealistic,self absorbed,hypocrites in MTBR-land??" It'll be huge!

  13. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jaybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    227
    It's Passion for MTB and all things related. Not passion for beating people over the head with a stick for not being as environmentally sensitive as you.

    I appreciate your passion and give you a hearty thank you. I will, however, refrain from engaging in some sick environmental dick measuring contest with you. While I work to do more and be better towards the world in which we live I have no doubt that yours' is bigger.

    All that aside, you must be well aware that your posts here are winning no friends and certainly no converts. I basically agree with you but at this point would be willing to drop a cool million on a wasteful RV and a cross country MTB trip just to spite you. Why beat people when doing so will not move them in the direction you want them to go? How about a little carrot here?

    Perhaps you should direct you obvious anger in the direction of political activism where you could affect the change you would like to see.

  14. #164
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    Way to hide behind the teacher.

    Many of the names you just called me mbmb65 encourage contradiction. If I continue on moral grounds, I'm idealistic. If I continue listing facts based upon my own experience, I'm self absorbed. If I point out mistruth from the numerous people here searching for something, anything, to "Al Gore" me with, I'm a hypocrite merely for acknowledging it.

    I would like to point out to the moderators that this is the Passion forum. What I feel strongly about, you may not share the same enthusiasm for. I am willing to take the heat upon me. Just about all of my posts have been responses to a question for me, questions of course being the most polite way to say it. I think I can continue to keep my cool on this thread, since it's so fairly easy to retort the blatant fallacies, but if you can't agree to allow this, I'd appreciate the consideration of a thread lock.
    Like I said, you can start your own thread. Why lock this thread because you don't agree with the subject matter? So why not just move on? You've stated your case and made some valid points, some I even agree with, but dayem, enough already!

  15. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ne_dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    554
    TunicaTrails, you live kind of close to this http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...ajun021505.pdf, and your state has this, http://www.catf.us/publications/fact...-Louisiana.pdf, so maybe I'd be more worried about other things than some RV's.

  16. #166
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,903
    here's a pretty good site on the teardrop trailers, including some homemades:

    http://www.nicksteardrop.com/photos.htm

    my favorite, though not quite what i would want:


  17. #167
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    Because that's not the topic at hand, air quality's great where I live, and it's a subtle attempt to pass the buck. Start a thread about it and let's talk about you.


    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan
    TunicaTrails, you live kind of close to this http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...ajun021505.pdf, and your state has this, http://www.catf.us/publications/fact...-Louisiana.pdf, so maybe I'd be more worried about other things than some RV's.

  18. #168
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    I don't agree with the characterization of any of your comments. There's wild swings here in mood, take responsibility for what you say, your position, and the facts and we'll trade information, maybe debate a little. I wish I were 5-10 people. It wouldn't be so easy for me to refute all of you by myself if you all weren't so tragically wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    It's Passion for MTB and all things related. Not passion for beating people over the head with a stick for not being as environmentally sensitive as you.

    I appreciate your passion and give you a hearty thank you. I will, however, refrain from engaging in some sick environmental dick measuring contest with you. While I work to do more and be better towards the world in which we live I have no doubt that yours' is bigger.

    All that aside, you must be well aware that your posts here are winning no friends and certainly no converts. I basically agree with you but at this point would be willing to drop a cool million on a wasteful RV and a cross country MTB trip just to spite you. Why beat people when doing so will not move them in the direction you want them to go? How about a little carrot here?

    Perhaps you should direct you obvious anger in the direction of political activism where you could affect the change you would like to see.

  19. #169
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,170
    Doin' my part to enlarge my carbon footprint. I've dragged this thing all over the country. It's easy to pull and really doesn't have much impact on my gas mileage. It suits us well and we love it!

  20. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DJ Giggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    Way to hide behind the teacher.

    Many of the names you just called me mbmb65 encourage contradiction. If I continue on moral grounds, I'm idealistic. If I continue listing facts based upon my own experience, I'm self absorbed. If I point out mistruth from the numerous people here searching for something, anything, to "Al Gore" me with, I'm a hypocrite merely for acknowledging it.

    I would like to point out to the moderators that this is the Passion forum. What I feel strongly about, you may not share the same enthusiasm for. I am willing to take the heat upon me. Just about all of my posts have been responses to a question for me, questions of course being the most polite way to say it. I think I can continue to keep my cool on this thread, since it's so fairly easy to retort the blatant fallacies, but if you can't agree to allow this, I'd appreciate the consideration of a thread lock.

    Yeah. Let's lock the thread because one a-hole enviro nazi doesn't like it. I am going to let my rig idle for an hour each time you post. Get a life.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

  21. #171
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    The title of this thread, "How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??" is a question that deserves an answer. I feel I have the right to object to them inasmuch as they aren't here with me and why. This is a topic of discussion on a forum centered on mountain biking, which is a self-propelled form of transportation through a natural setting.

    If carbon footprint is off the table, there are plenty of other reasons to debate why they shouldn't exist or be used by mountain bikers, but please allow debate.
    All of your arguments and bantering are based on your statistics based on Motorhomes and not the RVs that people have posted. So if you are going to come into a thread at least base your arguments on what people are posting. For the most part Westfalias and small trailers.

    Why don'y you go into the freeride / Downhill forum and rant about the carbon footprint of shuttling. Or the Bike Carrier forum and rant about SUVs?

    You've labeled people as wasteful that you know nothing about. Sounds like you've moved to the country onto 15 acres and setup a big off the grid house. Even knowing that I'll take my RV lifecycle strictly on Carbon footprint.

    I reno'd a small house 1100 sq foot and have 2 kids, its 1 block to the train for commuting in the winter. 12km ride to cycle to work in the summer. This seem more environmentally concience than living out of the city and commuting every day. Installed a high effiency furnace, inline water heater, and will replace my chimney with solar tubes for lighting. Monthly combined utiilty bill at -30 degress in the winter $225.

    I picked a Trailer and rent a seasonal RV site in an area that I want to explore and a typical RV site is quite small. Especially in a country larger than the US with the population of California. We then drive a car that gets 60mpg to get to our trailer.

    We try to follow the 100 mile diet, but its too far to get fruit for us. So we get our fruit from BC, and avoid US fruit, we can vegitables locally. The beef and chicken is directly from a rancher.

    So I take offence to you comparing everyone to driving Motorhomes and then labeling me when I challenge you to think .

  22. #172
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,378
    Enough...
    more pics of RV please!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  23. #173
    DILLIGAF
    Reputation: msimmons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    471
    Way too much e-drama!

  24. #174
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    303
    Airstream based off a Sprinter Van. Super cool if you want an RV. Mercedes based vehicle with turbo diesel. Sprinters are a nice size.


    Airstream also makes this cool smaller trailer

    A little larger than the typical teardrop but still compact

  25. #175
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,378
    yeah, those trailers are stylee

    upon further examination, it kinda looks like a FF helmet (abstracted)
    maybe a TLD scheme would look cool
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •