Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    Wow, prodigal son, way to avoid making any real points...

Just sayin.

But hey, enjoy your Al Gore fixation.

My point was this; if you are going to talk the talk of an "environmentalist", you better be able to walk the walk. I admit I don't pass a strict test but then neither do you or Tunica. But he hypocritically talks like he can. Just sayin. And in keeping in the spirit of thread hijacking, why don't we all enjoy Al Gore...

"Futurama" (1999)

Van: Thank you all for coming. It is my pleasure to present the host of the Kyoto global warming conference. The inventor of the environment, and first emperor of the moon, Al Gore!

Al Gore: My fellow Earthicans. As I discuss in my book, Earth in the Balance, and the more popular, Harry Potter and the Balance of the Earth, we need to protect ourselves against pollution, as well as dark wizards.

Al Gore: I must go now, to help collect cans on Jupiter.

Al Gore: Peace out, y'all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wanna dance?
    Sorry Prodigal. You do not walk the walk, nor talk the talk. You walk the walk of your own self-interest, and you talk the talk of a politics fan, taking your cues from politicians, who are almost always the least informed and last to know what they're talking about.

The fact that you're quoting a satirical cartoon is especially revealing. There are valid arguments to make on your side. I've left them up to you to make, and you haven't even touched on any of them.

Perhaps we could all just do each other a favor and get back to what the thread was about in the first place?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    this thread is hilarious

now im going to go check ebay for small campers i can tow...i like that idea...

knock-knock...
    Note, this is not a personal attack on anyone, just observations.

Prodigal Son, ironically, the way you chose to attack tunicatrails by definition applies to you as well. You say that he lives his life according to the standards he sees as best, and makes his actions fit accordingly. Then you say well, that gives you no right to impose your will on others.

You live your life the same way. I do too. I am writing this because it seems like the best action for me to do at the time. So I do it. It would not be rational to live any other way. So now there is just all these different reference points coming in about what is right, what is wasteful, and what is not. You say he is not objective, and can't tell others what to do. I say you suffer from the exact same situation. Again, ironically, this post does too.

This kind of represents my issue with much of the environmental movement. While I sympathize with many views, I can't really ally myself with them. The problem is end-based reasoning. Using end-based reasoning, anything is justifiable, or not justifiable. If we look at the earth and say, this is where we need to be, and doing actions that get us there are right, we will be in deep doodoo. Outlandish things can be justified, because the end goal makes them alright. The same goes for criticism too. Anything can be made to be bad, and not conducive towards the final goal. Personally, the way I think it should work is our actions and the things we live by should result in a world that is happy/sustainable/whatever, rather than the idea of that world dictating our current actions. For example, we could say that we want to be energy independent or something in ten years. That would be "good." Now, a way to do that would be to cull our population to a size that can live off the resources in our own area. That would result in a goal that is good, right? Action justified.
    I say no. What we live by should not determined by where we want to go, but where we go should be determined by how we live now.

I guess what I'm saying is, your accusation of tunicatrails operates on faulty logic. You say people aren't held to his standards, because his voice is not objective. News flash, yours isn't either, and neither is mine.
    i smell a rat-Patrick Henry

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What bothers me most about large rv's (besides the high cost of driving/maintaining one) , is the absence of simplification. Who needs all that crap when you're camping/biking/hiking in the woods/mountains/desert? To me it's all about keeping things simple - if you need to take all that stuff w/ you, you might as well stay at home. It seems to go against the whole idea of biking as a means of transport, but I guess if you're rich and can afford to drive a vehicle that get 7 or 8 mpg, then more power to you. All that said, we roll in an '85 Westy that gets 'round 20 mpg - so who am I to judge?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm going to use one gallon of gasoline driving around aimlessly today just because I can.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylarue
    All that said, we roll in an '85 Westy that gets 'round 20 mpg - so who am I to judge?
    Woot.

van.jpg

You don't have to take it ALL with you. But having some of IT along is pretty nice.

And it beats sleeping on the dirt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sorry Prodigal. You do not walk the walk, nor talk the talk. You walk the walk of your own self-interest, and you talk the talk of a politics fan, taking your cues from politicians, who are almost always the least informed and last to know what they're talking about.

The fact that you're quoting a satirical cartoon is especially revealing. There are valid arguments to make on your side. I've left them up to you to make, and you haven't even touched on any of them.

Perhaps we could all just do each other a favor and get back to what the thread was about in the first place?
    Shouldn't you be 'living off the grid' somewhere?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    well the reason for the big rv for me is that we have ALOT of toys. 11 dirtbikes/quads, golfcart, utv, sandrail etc. we dont use it for the animals or the environment we use it for the comfort of home when were away for well over 1/2 the year racing nationally. my mountain bike hasnt even SEEN the inside of the trailer. only the back of my truck. to me our trailer isnt even big enough most races... maybe ill have to get two just to make up for the hippies here... OH our tow trucks get around 14mpg towing them. have a great day, and go hug a tree for me.

wanna dance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    Shouldn't you be 'living off the grid' somewhere?

Erm, no. The grid pays me (admittedly a pittance) each month. As long as you guys keep consuming more than you generate, and operate your lives at a loss, I profit a tiny amount at your expense. Goes toward buying more materials for eventual replacement of the equipment.

I do own an island and the residence there is obviously off the grid, but I don't live there full time as of yet.

Anything else, Mr? Are our fragile little egos & guilty consciences sufficiently fortified to get back to the case for RVs, even if it is just pictures? I'm still interested and open to being convinced.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Glad to see you agree that Al Gore (a politician) doesn't know what he's talking about.

bike junkie
    Mar 2004

Thread was good.

Then it got to the arguing and I went from happy to a little bit sad.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by c-record
    Then it got to the arguing and I went from happy to a little bit sad.
    There's this awesome feature built into MTBR - it's called the Ignore List.

You click on someone's username, view their profile - then hit Add XXX to your Ignore List.

Then you never have to see another word posted by them... unless someone quotes them later in the thread.

I highly recommend it. I wish more media had this functionality.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    back to the topic at hand...

not an RV... but I realy dig the idea of a trailer... pop ups for the fuel economy... but is what I realy want to build is a teardrop trailer... it's a small step up from a tent... and can be pulled by just about anything depending on how you build it (and I would build it myself none of this buying it from someone else bit
    can build them with a mini bunk bed in them if you plan on it... just enough to be not sleeping in a tent...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

banned
    Sorry Prodigal. You walk the walk of your own self-interest...

Here is what I believe to be true about internet forums; they are like vampires. They suck the life out of you. There is an entire generation growing up with the internet, cell phones, text messaging, twitter, facebook, my space. I use to think nintendo was what would cause the collapse of society. I wasn't even close. These yougsters can spend hours typing messages into their cell phones. They can get into fights at school over something posted on facebook. They can have relationships with strangers they no nothing about. They can pretend to be someone they are not.

Glance down the classic forums until you get to the one titled Political-Socio-Economic-Religion. Over 382,000 posts and yet it was closed down quite a while ago. The F88ers were addicts for debate, or something like a debate only involving as many insults as possible. They still are addicts. They have a new site where they actually passed the hat to cover expenses in the several thousands of dollars to run it. So they are paying out of pocket to insult each other. I mention this because internet forums have created a type of person who thrives on spending all sorts of time pouring through threads looking for a chance to show off their erudition. And the beauty is they can remain anonymous. They can embellish evey story they tell. Your Missy Giove posts stood out as an example. You want to make a case for how wonderful pot smoking is and how brilliant people can use it daily with no ill effect, so you tell stories about your girlfriend smoking pot and people at parties who are highly successful and smoke pot. I guess we'll have to take you on your word, even though my experience is the opposite. Pot smokers I have known function at about 50% of their potential. I don't disagree that there are some who function at 80%. To them, that is good enough to get by on. Hopefully they are not airline pilots. But my argument will always be that nobody functions at 100% when stoned, and they are missing out by anesthetizing themselves.

What I want to point out, moreso than try to debate the validity of owning an RV, which I do, is that those people who use to be on MTBR forums (political-socio-economic-religion), got tossed out of here by Francis and Gregg. They were an embarrassment. They were cruel for the sake of being cruel. They kept saying they were actually nice people in real life but enjoyed getting away with saying whatever they wanted on these forums because they could. They were among the most intelligent people on all of MTBR, but it became more important to them to violate the rules and to win an argument at all cost, then to stay apart of the MTBR forums. Some of them had posted over 10,000 times. One guy had over 20,000 posts. He is now well over 30,000 posts. This vampire can suck people in, to the point where they are skipping rides so they can post messages telling others how to live their lives, even if they know nobody will ever change their behavior because of anything they say. You, for example, have no interest in RV's. You are not here to be convinced of their usefulness. You are here to provide backup to Tunica and to echo his thoughts and observations. When you jumped into the Giove thread, you wanted to make sure you let everyone know that if they were anti-pot smoking, they were ignorant, feared the unknown, and had much faith in authoritarianism. In doing so, you wanted them all to know you were much more enlightened by your life experiences, or the experiences you claimed to have had. Not you particularly, but people exactly like you are becoming commonplace on internet forums. People needing to be validated and willing to use precious time to share their political views.

We all have prioroties. I really need to be outside on my bike 2-3 days a week and to be out running on trails 2-3 days a week. After that is accomplished, I can kick back and watch history channel or play chess or read rv forums or read mtbr forums. I can't justify skipping workouts to debate with strangers who have opinions or habits I don't agree with or respect. Those are my last words on the topic in this thread.

wanna dance?
    I was once tempted by the thought of a sleek space-age, self-contained, handmade, polished aluminum airstream, which would presumably require one less massively wasteful building to be erected upon the land, less defacement of said land, less overall pollution, is even primarily recyclable, enjoy a much greater life-cycle, a more minimalist experience (for whom less is more), and finally realize the untethered, noncommittal, nonconformist, nomadic wandering nature of my ancestors, which is so deeply engrained in my own instinct. The notion of having ones own roaming space station is hugely appealing. The challenge would be to see how possible it would be to do fuel-efficiently, as I'll admit I'm no fan of calling middle-east despots our masters.

My recent experience in an RV park was clearly not what I had in mind.

I'd be very interested to see an example of truly independent RV living.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son
    Here is what I believe to be true about internet forums;
    Wow that's a lot of words, and by the looks of it, not about RV's. Get a friend, Prodigy. You'll like em. They're fun.
    Last edited by HotBlack; 07-23-2009 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Get a friend, Prodigy. You'll like em. They're fun.
    I'm sure you have lots of fun with the ones on the ends of your arms.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

to keeping this thread alive???

Thought I'd put all the rv's I've had sence the first one I posted:

Had this one for about a year:

Have this one now:

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    http://www.greenlearning.ca/climate/...ns/lifestyle/4

OK, everyone in this thread, have a seat in your captain's chair while I share something with you:

Taking an entire friggin' house with you on the road when you travel is neither the best way to get close to nature, nor the best way to show respect for it. It's just plain wasteful. Not to mention, it's nowhere near as nice or affordable as a resort hotel or a bed and breakfast. Why, why, why?... It's just an illusion of independance. To everyone not travelling in your RV, you look like a family hooked on life support.
    Go f yourself

wanna dance?
    How was the Westfalia on maintenance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    Even your thread is wasteful, big old pictures of your King Crew Cab Extended Custom Superline Roadmaster pieces of crap. Name me one other country where RVs sell in a profitable volume other than the United States.

And yeehaw for that. Because it's God's green earth, given to us by Him to F*ck up.
    Dude, I was watchin the "tour" and thoes frenchies had them parked along side the trail on every climb. Looked like nice rigs too!

herbivore
    May 2006
    I raise bunnies to wipe my butt with and I am vegetarian, that makes me super earth friendly!!!! If you use TP you are a bad person!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    weird, I'm reading this thread in my inlaws' van where tomorrow, me and my wife are off for a great bike trip to Whitefish and Sun Valley before we head slowly west to visit my parents in Ontario, Canada. First experience with an RV and am pretty excited.

It's a 94 Eurovan CV from Canada...I think the last year they sold them up here.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    back to the topic at hand...

not an RV... but I realy dig the idea of a trailer... pop ups for the fuel economy... but is what I realy want to build is a teardrop trailer... it's a small step up from a tent... and can be pulled by just about anything depending on how you build it (and I would build it myself none of this buying it from someone else bit
    can build them with a mini bunk bed in them if you plan on it... just enough to be not sleeping in a tent...

i'm with you on that, i really want to build one of those.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    haha, this is the second thread I've read on here today where someone tries to share in the joy they are having and it turns ugly. The other thread was taking dogs on trails, which turned into others needing to voice their disgust and the argument took shape. I'm on several forums for motorcycles, jeeps, etc. and have never seen this kind of hostility. I'd be afraid to post any kind of opinion on here.
    Oh, and I like the RV that started this thread. Those little things look like the ticket!!!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast