Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 345
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MtbIrv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    88

    Very cool!

    I really enjoyed seeing everyone's pics. Especially the ones with the kitties.

    I have a 2000 Thor Wanderer toy hauler. 18 feet long. I love it. I can put 2 motorcycles in there and it makes for some quite comfy camping at the track or wherever. I'd much rather haul that around than stay in hotels and such.







    Old Phart

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    483
    Anyone have new additions for this thread? -gt2005

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    303
    http://www.sylvansport.com/it.html Sylvan is cool for smaller cars and trucks. Not an RV, but beats a tent on the ground. and allows you to carry some extra gear.

  4. #54
    wanna dance?
    Reputation: HotBlack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,075
    I was just invited on an RV trip this last weekend. I'd never been in an RV before. The closest thing I knew was when, as a kid, my dad would throw a tent and some blankets in the back of our honda, and drive us all off to the woods three states away presumably to leave us there, but changing his mind after a weekend of running amok and exploring the woods & rivers.

    I was amazed. The RV was about the size of a semi, had playstation II, a huge flat panel tv, satellite everything, full bathroom and kitchen amenities, and required a gigantic truck to pull it, getting a calculated 5mpg. When we got to the campground, we hooked up electricity, sewer, and water lines, parked in a giant parking lot full of thousands of carefully arranged consumer products of every kind imaginable. It was like walking into the worlds biggest department store. We set up the camper, which then didn't move until we left. We were then essentially limited to the vicinity of this portable apartment, along with the others who were happy to spend their entire vacations sitting on their astroturf and lawn chairs in this parking lot, blaring their music, getting crazy drunk and fighting loudly over girlfriends til the early morning light. We paid what it would have cost to stay in a hotel anyway, paid for the utilities, cleaned everything top to bottom, and unpacked and repacked and stored everything for future use.

    When I compare the experiences, I really wonder why anyone does this. The expense, the time, the limited freedom, the dependence on technology & utilities, etc... How were we able to have more time, more freedom, more adventure, with so much less, and consider this a step up? Perhaps I missed something.

  5. #55
    Nothing can stop me now
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    914

    Interesting!

    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    I was just invited on an RV trip this last weekend. I'd never been in an RV before. The closest thing I knew was when, as a kid, my dad would throw a tent and some blankets in the back of our honda, and drive us all off to the woods three states away presumably to leave us there, but changing his mind after a weekend of running amok and exploring the woods & rivers.

    I was amazed. The RV was about the size of a semi, had playstation II, a huge flat panel tv, satellite everything, full bathroom and kitchen amenities, and required a gigantic truck to pull it, getting a calculated 5mpg. When we got to the campground, we hooked up electricity, sewer, and water lines, parked in a giant parking lot full of thousands of carefully arranged consumer products of every kind imaginable. It was like walking into the worlds biggest department store. We set up the camper, which then didn't move until we left. We were then essentially limited to the vicinity of this portable apartment, along with the others who were happy to spend their entire vacations sitting on their astroturf and lawn chairs in this parking lot, blaring their music, getting crazy drunk and fighting loudly over girlfriends til the early morning light. We paid what it would have cost to stay in a hotel anyway, paid for the utilities, cleaned everything top to bottom, and unpacked and repacked and stored everything for future use.

    When I compare the experiences, I really wonder why anyone does this. The expense, the time, the limited freedom, the dependence on technology & utilities, etc... How were we able to have more time, more freedom, more adventure, with so much less, and consider this a step up? Perhaps I missed something.
    Great post!!! I have been toying with the idea of an RV for our family. What you describe is my biggest fear and is the stereotypical RV park experience in my mind. Doesn't seem like the environment for a family with 4 kids....

    PS. I wonder how the experience would be different if you "boondocked".

    bobo

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,081

    Yikes!

    You make an RV "Vacation" worse than anything I ever imagined and the thought of traveling around in a land bound whale never appealed to me.

    I would stay in a luxury or less than luxury hotel anytime.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Telewacker
    Ours is an '88 Coachmen, super clean, that we bought 2 1/2 years ago for under 15k. Good used RVs can be had for very reasonable prices if you know what to look for.
    And how do you know what that is? What to look for I mean. Great seeing the pics; I'd love to have a class C (I think that's what they are; based on the Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter) but wow they are expensive. New, looks like 80K+. That's what I payed (well am paying) for our house. The RV may have to wait.

    Great pics everyone.

  8. #58
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    Disgusting.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdf1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    179
    This acts as the DD as well but now that I have one I am not sure what I did without one.



    Ever since I got this thing I just can't believe how simple it makes trips. Always late getting off the trail so no more setting up camp in the dark. Find a spot, park, close curtains, go to sleep in a comfy bed.
    The next one has to be 4 wheel drive though.

  10. #60
    Fragilie
    Reputation: Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    763

    Here's Mine

    Based in the Jemez Mountains in this pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

  11. #61
    those are Rollercams...
    Reputation: WTB-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,896
    MIne in Jim Thorpe, PA.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Truly a wealth of useless information.


    http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    315
    Just like singlespeeders, 29ers, clydesdales, mudhunnies, DH'rs, roadies, etc. there are all types of RV'ers. It is what you make of it.

    I want to get one but need to figure out the parking situation. My snowmobile trailer currently sits where an RV would be parked. I don't want to have to pay $90/mth to park my RV somewhere either.

    How about more pics of cool RV's being used in cool spots for cool mtbing?!!

  13. #63
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    http://www.greenlearning.ca/climate/...ns/lifestyle/4

    OK, everyone in this thread, have a seat in your captain's chair while I share something with you:

    Taking an entire friggin' house with you on the road when you travel is neither the best way to get close to nature, nor the best way to show respect for it. It's just plain wasteful. Not to mention, it's nowhere near as nice or affordable as a resort hotel or a bed and breakfast. Why, why, why?... It's just an illusion of independance. To everyone not travelling in your RV, you look like a family hooked on life support.

  14. #64
    Don't worry, be happy!
    Reputation: formica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6,641
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    http://www.greenlearning.ca/climate/...ns/lifestyle/4

    OK, everyone in this thread, have a seat in your captain's chair while I share something with you:

    Taking an entire friggin' house with you on the road when you travel is neither the best way to get close to nature, nor the best way to show respect for it. It's just plain wasteful. Not to mention, it's nowhere near as nice or affordable as a resort hotel or a bed and breakfast. Why, why, why?... It's just an illusion of independance. To everyone not travelling in your RV, you look like a family hooked on life support.
    While I don't disagree, if you don't like it, don't do it. It's so easy to get into judging other choices just because we wouldn't choose what they do. Leave the rv-ers to the campground with hookups, and I'll find a nice primitive site.

    Plus "rv" means anything from a Vanagon to a converted Greyhound. It's a pretty broad term.

    Here's ours:


  15. #65
    All-most Mountain
    Reputation: Camshaft213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    533
    I would love to have a travel trailer.

  16. #66
    Navy Lacrosse
    Reputation: elaxerata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    24
    This is my beast... and first car.


    Bought it for $2500. Four of us (20/21 year olds) went on a journey this summer... tried to get to Alaska from Arizona. It didn't work. We broke down many times. Oh well, we had so much fun.

  17. #67
    Life is Good
    Reputation: Judd97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    I was just invited on an RV trip this last weekend. I'd never been in an RV before. The closest thing I knew was when, as a kid, my dad would throw a tent and some blankets in the back of our honda, and drive us all off to the woods three states away presumably to leave us there, but changing his mind after a weekend of running amok and exploring the woods & rivers.

    I was amazed. The RV was about the size of a semi, had playstation II, a huge flat panel tv, satellite everything, full bathroom and kitchen amenities, and required a gigantic truck to pull it, getting a calculated 5mpg. When we got to the campground, we hooked up electricity, sewer, and water lines, parked in a giant parking lot full of thousands of carefully arranged consumer products of every kind imaginable. It was like walking into the worlds biggest department store. We set up the camper, which then didn't move until we left. We were then essentially limited to the vicinity of this portable apartment, along with the others who were happy to spend their entire vacations sitting on their astroturf and lawn chairs in this parking lot, blaring their music, getting crazy drunk and fighting loudly over girlfriends til the early morning light. We paid what it would have cost to stay in a hotel anyway, paid for the utilities, cleaned everything top to bottom, and unpacked and repacked and stored everything for future use.

    When I compare the experiences, I really wonder why anyone does this. The expense, the time, the limited freedom, the dependence on technology & utilities, etc... How were we able to have more time, more freedom, more adventure, with so much less, and consider this a step up? Perhaps I missed something.
    It's nice to see you folks doing stuff that you enjoy and to each their own, but I have to say I agree with just about everything HotBlack said. My folks have an RV and it just seems like it adds so much more work to a vacation. I go on vacation to get away from the work you have to do around the house... why bring it with you?

    But like I said earlier, I'm sure you guys have your reasons for enjoying it that I probably just don't see. To each their own.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlliKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,347
    This is my wife's RV. I was allowed to use it for a couple races close to town. Costs a bike a month to own this thing. It is pretty comfortable though.

    I'd like to get a van/rv type rig for biking someday. There was a pretty cool article on Brian Lope's Dodge van with a little mercedes diesel engine configured as a bike rv rig. That would be perfect but was spendy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

  19. #69
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,421
    Here's my setup. Not really an RV, more of an expedition vehicle with some creature comforts. The roof top tent is substantially more comfortable and convenient to setup than a regular tent (15 sec to open, about 45 sec to close). I have an awning that I'm about to mount next to the tent for shade. In the coming months I'll be adding a solar panel with AGM batteries which will power a fridge, other small electronics, and pump so that I can have flowing water. This rig will haul 2-3 people comfortably through snow, mud, rocks, 75 MPH highways, or whatever the heck else you can come up with. On my last trip to SV, I averaged 17 MPH, not to shabby for a go-anywhere rig. Offroad capabilities include front and rear locking differentials, a 4:1 low range, and a 9500 lb winch should I get in over my head. Full set of skid plates are all ready in place with rocker panel protection to be added shortly (lots of rocks here in UT).

    I should add the we tend to camp a LOT. I probably camped 30+ nights last year and am racking up the nights again this year. We only occasionally camp in developed camp grounds, usually we're off somewhere in BLM land. Carrying everything we need is essential. UT offers tremendous opportunity to really get out into the middle of nowhere.

    Anyway, here's my rig from last weekend at Brian Head (sorry for the crappy lighting, was a real tough spot to get a shot) -


    A driveway shot (locking bed cover to be installed tomorrow to better secure cargo) -


    Fits the two of us and our German Shepard just fine -


    Yep, that's a 100% chrome-free Hummer -

  20. #70
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    Even your thread is wasteful, big old pictures of your King Crew Cab Extended Custom Superline Roadmaster pieces of crap. Name me one other country where RVs sell in a profitable volume other than the United States.

    And yeehaw for that. Because it's God's green earth, given to us by Him to F*ck up.

  21. #71
    banned
    Reputation: The Prodigal Son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    860
    Started off sleeping on a futon mattress in the back of an '89 suburban. Then we got a pop-up that we took all over North America. Now we travel in relative luxury, in a 27 foot Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. Four 130 watt solar panels, a 2000 watt inverter, four 395 amp/hour crown deep cycle batteries, a Yamaha propane powered 3000 watt generator (in case we need to run the a/c of microwave, queen size latex mattress, 32" lcd flat screen tv, 7.1 surround sound with 210 watt sub, Onkyo receiver, DVD player, high def auto seeking roof dish and high def Direct TV DVR. Thule T2 bike rack and quadra chain to prevent thieves from even thinking about taking the bikes. Pull the beast with a one-ton dually with roof satellite, 17" laptop, 60 gigs of music played through thumb drives into the head unit of a surround system and sub-woofer. "The Endo Posse Mobile Command Post"



    [IMG][/IMG]


    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by The Prodigal Son; 07-21-2009 at 10:38 PM.

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3
    well here is our set up.

    Its a 40' monaco. but it hauls this nicely

  23. #73
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    I remember back in my old neighborhood, there were some old people with a big house, two story, stately looking.

    In front of it they parked the most monstrous tan RV. It took up half of the street; you could hardly even see their nice house. Every day it shocked us at how stupid and lazy those people were, and how little consideration they had for their neighbors or the world around them.

  24. #74
    Rip Van Winkle
    Reputation: Restoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    I remember back in my old neighborhood, there were some old people with a big house, two story, stately looking.

    In front of it they parked the most monstrous tan RV. It took up half of the street; you could hardly even see their nice house. Every day it shocked us at how stupid and lazy those people were, and how little consideration they had for their neighbors or the world around them.
    Dang man, you complain to damn much. Get off it and go ride.

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,081

    He's right about unsightly RV's

    Dang man, a big RV in a residential neighborhood is an eyesore.
    As a home owner I would be pissed if I had to look at one parked in the street for any amount of time.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •