Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Here's mine.

I've only been trailering since Summer 2012. Couldn't do the tent camping thing. Really need the toilet, shower, and roof.

Bought in August 2012 . 2013 Forest River R-Pod 177 w/ slideout kitchen. Enough water for many days without doing a full shower. 36 gallons fresh, 30 gallons Black, 30 gallons gray, plus a shower/toilet (wet bath). Furnace, A/C (wish I could eliminate the A/C unit). It only sleeps 2 adults ( and MAYBE 2 kids on the covertable kitchen table). I also installed a factory lift kit for the trailer to get more clearance for crummy uneven sites.

Used to tow with a 2003 4runner, but got a 2013 Touareg TDI last April (2013) . The Touareg has no idea it's pulling 3500 lbs. I mean really, it is a sick little turbo diesel SUV.

How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-20130621_075916.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I've only been trailering since Summer 2012. Couldn't do the tent camping thing. Really need the toilet, shower, and roof.

Bought in August 2012 . 2013 Forest River R-Pod 177 w/ slideout kitchen. Enough water for many days without doing a full shower. 36 gallons fresh, 30 gallons Black, 30 gallons gray, plus a shower/toilet (wet bath). Furnace, A/C (wish I could eliminate the A/C unit). It only sleeps 2 adults ( and MAYBE 2 kids on the covertable kitchen table). I also installed a factory lift kit for the trailer to get more clearance for crummy uneven sites.

Used to tow with a 2003 4runner, but got a 2013 Touareg TDI last April (2013) . The Touareg has no idea it's pulling 3500 lbs. I mean really, it is a sick little turbo diesel SUV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130621_075916.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	869876

Nice setup!

What do you see for MPGs when towing at 65MPH? Or 70 MPH?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Nice setup!

What do you see for MPGs when towing at 65MPH? Or 70 MPH?
    At 65mph I get 14mpg-15mpg depending which direction I'm heading (North or South) , which was about what I was expecting. At 55 mpg (cruise set) it gets almost 16 mpg. The problem with all taller travel trailers is the wind. The faster you go the more air you push. I priced out some small used Airstream trailers , but they are still very expensive and have very small tanks.

At least with the turbo diesel, the truck tows like a champ. I don't have to restrict the transmission to a lower gear. I can run overdrive when it's not climbing a hill. It has a 7700 pound tow rating. And I don't have to have 2 vehicles, one daily driver and one tow vehicle.

The best I could do with my old 4runner was 60 mph in 3rd (4 speed auto.) and it got 10 mpg. It would NOT stay in 4th overdrive when towing the R-Pod , even on a flat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Good numbers for the combined weight and the fact that you have a house with you!

Thanks for the info :-)

mtbr member
    At 65mph I get 14mpg-15mpg depending which direction I'm heading (North or South) , which was about what I was expecting. At 55 mpg (cruise set) it gets almost 16 mpg. The problem with all taller travel trailers is the wind. The faster you go the more air you push. I priced out some small used Airstream trailers , but they are still very expensive and have very small tanks.

At least with the turbo diesel, the truck tows like a champ. I don't have to restrict the transmission to a lower gear. I can run overdrive when it's not climbing a hill. It has a 7700 pound tow rating. And I don't have to have 2 vehicles, one daily driver and one tow vehicle.

The best I could do with my old 4runner was 60 mph in 3rd (4 speed auto.) and it got 10 mpg. It would NOT stay in 4th overdrive when towing the R-Pod , even on a flat.
    Those are good numbers! What is the cargo carrying capacity of the diesel Toureg?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Our current setup.............Used to just tow the camper for a few years, but hobbies led to merging it with the big trailer. Works out nice, I built a 7 bike rack that fits on it, plus storage room under the camper and on the deck.

And the unit set up

That said, the camper has no heat, A/C, frig, or shower. Hopefully by this summer we'll upgrade to a 5th wheel toyhauler that will let us keep the bikes inside, along with get us the heat/ air, frig and shower we want.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    In reply to ewarnerusa about the payload capacity

2013 Touareg payload capacity is 1155 lbs. Braked trailer towing capacity is 7716 lbs. The maximum tongue weight is 616 lbs. (European 8%) . Diesel tank size is 26.4 gallons. I can drive the 240 miles from hone to the destination without refueling until the return trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    @john -- Love the rPod. I would have one of those were not it not for the damn kids. Who keep growing. Moving up to a bunkhouse this season (Nash 23B).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    @john -- Love the rPod. I would have one of those were not it not for the damn kids. Who keep growing. Moving up to a bunkhouse this season (Nash 23B).
    Yeah, the R-Pod is way too small inside for a family. There is barely enough storage for 2 people. I am hoping my next camper will be a small toy hauler that can sleep 4, but it will be few years out on that one.

That Nash looks real nice.

mtbr member
    In reply to ewarnerusa about the payload capacity

2013 Touareg payload capacity is 1155 lbs. Braked trailer towing capacity is 7716 lbs. The maximum tongue weight is 616 lbs. (European 8%) . Diesel tank size is 26.4 gallons. I can drive the 240 miles from hone to the destination without refueling until the return trip.
    Thanks! Those are pretty nice numbers. Unfortunately, my TT is a little big for the diesel VW. I hope some of these new 1500-series diesels work out well and make it into full size SUVs. That is what I would want for my next TV.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...D/25656847.cfm

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Nice. We have a 19B that's been good to us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-fruita.jpg  

Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Clueless Bastard

Truck and Trailer

Probably like many of you, we've gone a couple of rounds trying to sort out the perfect combo for our use. We really like the truck/trailer combo as it's small, flexible and functional. Here is what we've found.

1. A small trailer is cheap to maintain, and store.
    2. We can park the trailer and do a daily back country excursions easily.
    3. We can upgrade either, separately if needed.
    4. A small trailer can get into any state park.
    5. A hard shell trailer means drenching rain or some snow isn't a huge factor.
    6. A shell on the truck is mega-functional. Can't imagine not having it.

How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-wp_20130827_002.jpg
    19 foot Surveyor with slider (3400lbs)
    How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-wp_20130524_001.jpg
    Hitch Rack installed on trailer for Thule rack
    How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-wp_20130820_001.jpg
    Truck

We lived in this thing for 4 months, with no problems. Could have gone a year, easy.

Motion activated
    That's a nice setup WA-CO. What MPG are you getting towing that trailer? Also I agree with the topper - very handy thing to have. It's like a garage for your travel trailer. I'm thinking about taking mine off so I can take the dirtbikes along when I'm towing the trailer. It will be missed...
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Clueless Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    That's a nice setup WA-CO. What MPG are you getting towing that trailer?
    Thanks. Tundra (5.7L 4x4) gets 13mpg regardless of how I drive it. Around town: 13, backcountry: 13, lead foot: 13, trailer pull: 13. Joie Chitwood style: 13

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaCyclist View Post
    Here is our Freelander 21QB while at Crater Lake this past October. We spent the last 4 months road tripping around the West and it worked out great.
    I'm looking at that exact same rig, thinking I can put a bike or two in the large storage compartment under the bed. What do you think? I'll use a bumper rack as well but there are times when I'd like to store my bikes out of sight/out of mind.

mtbr member
    2007 Itasca Navion 24J (16.6mpg avg)
    Just the right size for us (wife/2 kids and a 65# dog)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2013 F250 4x4, 8' box Super Cab
    2012 Wolf Creek 850 truck camper
    Home brewed, ladder mount bike rack

Here's the rack while in mock-up. The present design has 2" PVC, cut in half down the length, fastened to the top and bottom angle aluminum bracket assemblies. The PVC is a tray the rear tires sit into.
    We recently picked up a couple of 29ers, so I gotta modify the rack a little.

You can see the PVC is these shots of the bracket assemblies:

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14