Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    We just bought a tent trailer this summer. Must find a way for the trailer and bikes to co-exist since our bike hauler is normlaly a Thule T2 which we obviously can't use when pulling the trailer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-normal_img_4897-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    back to the topic at hand...

not an RV... but I realy dig the idea of a trailer... pop ups for the fuel economy... but is what I realy want to build is a teardrop trailer... it's a small step up from a tent... and can be pulled by just about anything depending on how you build it (and I would build it myself none of this buying it from someone else bit
    can build them with a mini bunk bed in them if you plan on it... just enough to be not sleeping in a tent...
    I have a MINI Cooper, and I hate tent camping. I would really like to have a TearDrop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade-Runner
    I've joined the club!!! Here is a pic of my 07 VW Jetta 2.5 and my 07 Little Guy 5 Wide Platform in Sedona AZ last week.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops...wide-platform/
    Yes! I have been looking at building my own, the Little guy 5wide platform or the Little Guy Silver Shadow Series. I am a little put off by the Galley of the 5 wide. Do you have any pics of the Galley?

\m/ \m/
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    Yes! I have been looking at building my own, the Little guy 5wide platform or the Little Guy Silver Shadow Series. I am a little put off by the Galley of the 5 wide. Do you have any pics of the Galley?
    I'll try and take some pics tomorrow and post them up for you.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Jumanji
    We just bought a tent trailer this summer. Must find a way for the trailer and bikes to co-exist since our bike hauler is normlaly a Thule T2 which we obviously can't use when pulling the trailer.

Time for a roof rack unless the trailer tongue is long enough to clamp the T2 without pinching the bikes on the sharp turns (something like GpzGuy earlier in this thread). Or, both our truck and Jeep have front receiver hitches so the bikes can ride out front when they aren't on the roof. I don't recommend the front mount at night.

Happy campering!
    It all looked so flat on Google Earth!

mtbr member

Oooh....

Quote Originally Posted by avion.nomad
    Too bad about all the anti-RV sentiment. Anyway, this rig works well for us. Sometimes we don't go home for months at a time.Attachment 495269
    What brand of camper is that? Looks very Air Stream-ish....

Bigfoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade-Runner
    I'll try and take some pics tomorrow and post them up for you.
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot
    What brand of camper is that? Looks very Air Stream-ish....

Bigfoot
    Avion made them in the 60's and early 70's.
    It all looked so flat on Google Earth!

mtbr member extraordinair
    Hey Jumanji,

If you have wood hard top roof, what you can do is build you one of these cheap and easy:
    How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Enough...
    more pics of RV please!

yes, thank you, sweet ass RV btw................

mtbr member

This ought to silence the critics.

Thought I'd bump this old thread with these pics. Looks cool, but not sure I'd take it on a trip across Colorado!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-5_camperbikeride2.jpg  

How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-5_blueprint.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    great rigs for camping, thanks for sharing . I will add mine when I get a chance.
    I want to take this time to NOT thank the people that didn't read the title of the post, it wasn't ; angry tree huggers chime in on the waste in america ,it was people that love mtb and what they camp in. =Wrong place

Thanks to all that to the time to share

Dave

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    great rigs for camping, thanks for sharing . I will add mine when I get a chance.
    I want to take this time to NOT thank the people that didn't read the title of the post and speaking of waste, time / space/ ranting about xyz it wasn't ; angry tree huggers chime in on the waste in america,it was people that love mtb and what they camp in. =Wrong place

Thanks to all that took the time to share...

Dave

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    sorry my bad

ballbuster

Srsly

Quote Originally Posted by vtarider
    I want to take this time to NOT thank the people that didn't read the title of the post and speaking of waste, time / space/ ranting about xyz it wasn't ; angry tree huggers chime in on the waste in america,it was people that love mtb and what they camp in. =Wrong place

Thanks to all that took the time to share...

Dave
    I mean, I'm an angry tree hugger, but I think campers are sweet. Its not like you commute 50 miles each way to work in them on a daily basis. Nothing wrong with burning some extra dino juice to go appreciate the woods, get out doors, put down the frickin Playstation and experience some other worlds.

I fantasize about owning a camper someday, but in reality I probably will never have space to park it, and won't get enough use out if it to justify it.

I love Westys. The nicest one I have seen is the one in Berkeley that has AWD syncro, and was upgraded with a Jetta 1.8 turbo engine. They guy says it actually gets better gas mileage than stock, but had double the power.

This one:

This thing is my wet dream. If it had ABS and Airbags, and I had the cash to burn, I would be all over building one.

Somebody also posted a few small camping trailers that were under 1500 pounds, so my Audi can tow it. I already have the trailer hitch for the bike rack. I would just need the lighting harness. That is probably the best solution for me... I mean... apart from just pitching a tent and sleeping on the ground.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 04-12-2010 at 11:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    We just got a Coleman Evolution E3, a toyhauler popup. Mounted Yakima blockhead mounts to the Toy deck for bikes. Works awesome - keep them off the roof for better mileage/clearance, Bonus w/ the offroad style popups is way better ground clearance, much heavier duty frame construction and i can haul 41 gal of water along with a ton of gear. The propane furnace was great too - kept things a toasty 65 inside while it was subzero outside.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The way I see it you've got two choices really:
    1) Bike rack on top of the minivan
    2) Bike rack on top of the trailer.

Personally I would like Option 2 becasue it is actually very easy to (permanently) mount crossbars to the top of the tent trailer and they are versatile... you can also mount a cargo box to them.

I didn't go either route because I have cargo boxes mounted on the trailer, and my Xterra is too tall to easily mount a bike rack on top and get the bikes up there after a long ride.

I wouldn't recommend my solution with your minivan though, not without at least a Class III two-inch hitch receiver and beafing up the rear suspension:

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I like.

mtbr member
    Wow, funny that this ol' thread would get a bump. By Saturday we'll be in Yosemite with our Trail Mite.
    Nine days of hammock-hanging, hiking, a bit o' road riding and book reading.

Bigfoot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-weavervillecampsite08.jpg  

"Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    We get right up onto the Mesa (Gooseberry) with our Class A. It's a slow process but we have good ground clearance and it's nice to ride right from "home" directly onto the slickrock and trail system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-img00186-20100907-1805.jpg  

How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-img00206-20100907-1852.jpg  

How many RV'ers in MTBR-land??-img00209-20100908-1107.jpg  

\m/ \m/
    My old trailer: Little Guy 5wide

And my new travel trailer: 2011 Keystone Passport 195rd

Towed by my 2008 TRD supercharged Toyota TRD Sport Tacoma
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite

R.I.P. DogFriend
    ^ ^ ^ ^ Looks like your weight distributing hitch isn't quite taking enough load from the back to the front (unless your front end always sits that high)?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I figure in 2 to 3 years i will buy an RV of some kind. With a newborn on the way i don't see us traveling much. Also my folks have a classic GMC motorhome i can grab at any time.

\m/ \m/
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^ Looks like your weight distributing hitch isn't quite taking enough load from the back to the front (unless your front end always sits that high)?
    Ya the back end sits a little lower than the front without the trailer.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite

mtbr member
    2007 Fleetwood Nitrous Hyperlite.... sleeps 8 (3 queens and 2 twins). Only ever me and the GF but its been great. Used primarily for trips to Ocotillo or Glamis with other toys. But its great to be able to go anywhere you want and not need to find a room or worry about it being too cold or windy for a tent.

gets you here

Last edited by mosslager; 09-01-2011 at 12:39 AM. Reason: typo

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast