Thread: Honda Fit

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Honda Fit

So.. at some point fairly soon my wife will be needing a new vehicle . She drives a decent amount of miles commuting to work, so the good mpg would be nice..but I'm curious about fitting 2 650b bikes standing with front wheels off. Anyone have one- and can you do it ?

mtbr member
    Do a search

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Do a search
    I did , but couldn't find anything on the new Fits.. thought someone on here might have one - thanks for the help.

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    google image "honda fit bike inside"

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzardpapa View Post
    google image "honda fit bike inside"
    Yea.. I've done that, but apparently the 2015 Fits have almost 5 less ft of cargo space with the seats down.. So far, I've only read about bikes squeezing into the older models and thought someone on here might have the newest model. Anyway - gonna keep researching. When it comes time to buy, I'll bring the bikes with me and tell 'em I need to see if these fit. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I could fit two bikes with front wheels off in my Fit sitting up. I never tried 3 bit I think it would have been possible.

AKA SORCERER
    Last year my wife bought a 2014 Fit. I like it. I knew a major refresh was coming in 2015, and call me unprogressive, but I had misgivings about CVT in the 2015 versions. The 15s are more fuel efficient because of that. She didn't want a manual again.

Anyway, about hitch mounts, this may be different on the 2015, but I bought a Curt hitch for the bike rack. It squeaks when loaded. I asked a friend, who is an auto mechanic, who has a Fit about it, and he bought a Draw-Tite. Mounts differently than Curt. Mucho Beuno.

I still have to do some modifications. Didn't research when buying the hitch mount. Should've.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have an 07 Fit, which I believe has the least amount of cargo room out of the 3 generations. I can fit 2 bikes no problem. 29er, med/large frames. Actually fit two with one side of the rear seat up (for one of the passengers), and a bike on the rack.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    I have an 07 Fit, which I believe has the least amount of cargo room out of the 3 generations. I can fit 2 bikes no problem. 29er, med/large frames. Actually fit two with one side of the rear seat up (for one of the passengers), and a bike on the rack.
    I have an 07, also. Make note, only a single fat bike can fit due to the wider rear hub spacing, and mine is a 177mm fatty. 197 would be even tighter. Just FYI.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I have an 07, also. Make note, only a single fat bike can fit due to the wider rear hub spacing, and mine is a 177mm fatty. 197 would be even tighter. Just FYI.
    Interesting. Didn't think of the hub spacing. If both seats are down, however, I'd assume you can fit 2?

since 4/10/2009

Honda Fit

Interesting. Didn't think of the hub spacing. If both seats are down, however, I'd assume you can fit 2?
    No. It is the space between the front seats that is the issue.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    No. It is the space between the front seats that is the issue.
    When both seats are down, I usually angle the rear wheels so that they are between the front seats and the B-pillar. 29ers fit well in this position. Don't know about fat bikes, though.

Not a Fit, but same idea:

since 4/10/2009
    When both seats are down, I usually angle the rear wheels so that they are between the front seats and the B-pillar. 29ers fit well in this position. Don't know about fat bikes, though.

Not a Fit, but same idea:

Have you actually carried a fatbike in a Fit?

I have always hauled bikes in mine with the back tires between the two front seats (never had a problem fitting 2 regular bikes that way), and not this way. I don't see how I could possibly carry even a single fatbike in my Fit with the rear tire between one of the front seats and the b-pillar. I will try it the next time I load my Bucksaw, but the Bucksaw has a fairly long wheelbase because of the slack head angle and I don't see it happening unless the bike angles completely across the cargo area, at which point it'd prevent a second bike being loaded, anyway.

since 4/10/2009
    So I'll amend my previous comments here. Fat bikes do NOT fit with their tires stuffed between the front seats and the b-pillars. At least not Bucksaws. MAYBE I could fit the whole bike diagonally across the back without poking the wheel between the front seats, but the tire is too wide to fit between the seats and the b-pillars. And that would soundly limit the car to carrying a single bike. A single fat bike will fit with the tire between the two front seats, though.

I DID manage to fit a 29er mtb with the back tire between the front seat and b-pillar, along with my Bucksaw, with the 29er's tire between the seat and the b-pillar and the fatbike tire between the front seats. The forks of the two bikes did not line up with my mounts in the back at that point, so I had to get creative strapping them down so they didn't rattle around and settle against the back window, but the two bikes did fit yesterday.

I didn't think to take any pics of it at the time, though.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Harold, I don't know about the Bucksaw, but I've got a medium Pug configured like the picture above. The tire doesn't fit in between the seat and B pillar, but with the bike situated that way, 2 bikes fit (barely). Front tires between the bikes and good to go. I'm 5'11", by the way, so how far the seat is back is also a factor.

The wheelbase is probably longer on the Bucksaw so may not work out.

By the way, I don't use mounts. Simply 2 or 4 tie downs to the handlebars. Easy peasy.

since 4/10/2009
    Bucksaw wheelbase is 1163.8mm. Pugs is 1082.4mm. Both in medium (I have a med BS). Significant difference. To situate the BS angled as above, it tucks the front into the corner of the rear cargo area, and makes it tricky to fit the handlebars. MUCH easier to go straight back.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Harold - That is quite a difference. My Pug's handlebars come right at the middle of the rear cargo, thus allowing another bike to be put on the other side (as long as it's not a Bucksaw!).

I wonder, then, if you could put it in front first, with the handlebar (turned sideways) between the seats--can you push it far enough forward to get two bikes in there? Worst case, if you HAD to fit two Bucksaws, I'm assuming they'll fit with both wheels off.

since 4/10/2009
    I have thought about going front first but is becomes more difficult to secure them with the cargo area tie downs

mtbr member
    I have done many many trips of 5+ days riding and camping with 2 people and 2 21" mountain bikes. When camping I take the bars off the stem for more room, but you can easily stagger the bikes and fit two of them with the rear seat folded.

The Fit is the Sh*t

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No doubt, Bobby. Yeah, that's over 1,000 bottled waters.

Last edited by phsycle; 2 Days Ago at 08:51 PM.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Must be close to or over the max rated load with all that!
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Dirt Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Must be close to or over the max rated load with all that!
    CLOSE????? He blew by that at 10 cases. All power to him though, it's a tool. Use it.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???