Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Fit

mtbr member

Honda Fit

I might be buying a Honda Fit this week. How are you guys hauling bikes on your Fits? How is your mileage? Any pics and info appreciated.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I have an 08 Fit with 250K miles on it and I haul up to 3 bikes on the back with a Yakima KingJoe 3 rack. Hangs perfectly off the back and has enough room for the 3 bikes easily. I average about 38 miles to the gallon driving city/highway and just a little more if it's strictly highway driving. The more people you add to the the car the worse the mileage. If I load the car up with 4 riders and three bikes the mileage drops to about 30 mpg. The bikes hanging off the back don't seem to affect the mileage unless they're 29'ers as the wheels on those stick out on the sides of the car. As for reliability the Fit cannot be beat! I'm a hotshot courier and put at least 350 miles on the car every day including weekends. M-F are for working and Saturday and Sunday are for out of town bike trips. Besides the usual maintenance of fluid changes, brake service, and a few batteries the only part that has gone bad on the car was an ignition coil. $95 dollar repair. No oil leaks, don't need to change the timing belt as it has a chain, and get this - I start the car at least 30 times per day M-F and I'm still on the same starter! 4 years times 240 work days per year times 30 starts = 28800 starts not including weekends. The Fit is listed as the number 1 most reliable car in America and my car proves it. Only drawbacks are road noise and it's not the most comfortable car to ride in. Get one.

mtbr member
    I picked up the Fit yesterday. I love this thing.

Anyone have pics of how they haul their bikes on their Fit? I ordered a hitch yesterday, too.

mtbr member
    What year and model Fit did you buy? I'm looking at one too, also considering Kia Soul, Toyota Matrix, Ford Fiesta, Ford Fusion, but the Fit has the best ratings. Did you order a roof or hitch rack?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I have a 2010 Fit. People made fun of me until gas prices went up. Some feel that it is over priced within its class but I wanted Honda reliability.. It's more reliable than my 07 Vette. I use the 1upUSA rack. If need be, it can be folded up at placed in the cargo space.

mtbr member
    I got a brand new 2012 Honda Fit Sport. I ordered a hitch. I already have a Thule T2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    carries bikes just fine. be it 26er or 29er.

mtbr member
    How bad does your mileage drop when you have the bikes on top.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    How bad does your mileage drop when you have the bikes on top.
    I would have to estimate because I never drive beyond 20miles when transporting mike bike. I think it drops to about 25-28mpg while I usually get 30-33mpg.

I would go the hitch route if my car wasnt lowered but, imo hitches and hitch racks don't look as good as roof racks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailmax View Post
    I would have to estimate because I never drive beyond 20miles when transporting mike bike. I think it drops to about 25-28mpg while I usually get 30-33mpg.

I would go the hitch route if my car wasnt lowered but, imo hitches and hitch racks don't look as good as roof racks.
    Ya, Im not too worried about looks. I want mileage and I already have a hitch rack. It will cost me about $150 to buy a hitch to haul 2 bikes rather than $1200 to add a roof rack. I would rather have a roof rack someday.

Any pics of the car with the rack without bikes on it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ask and you shall receive.

I usually leave the king cobra on and take off the front loader when the bikes are down.

mtbr member
    First tank of gas and I got 34 with about 50% hwy and town. Im pretty happy with that. I intentionally drove slow and easy to see what Id get.

I did throw one bike in the back with the wheel off and it fit perfect.

mtbr member
    Any other Fit owners?

mtbr member
    Not yet, soon

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a Fit w/ a hitch. Used to have a roof rack but it is super lame on mileage which is why I have the car so...

It does a great job carrying our dogs as well. Love this car.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    can a mtb with the rear tire on go in at all?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Yes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Yes one bike with front tire off will fit with one seat folded down. I think you could fit 2 with both seats folded down. I love this car.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Yes
    good

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good looking white Fit!

I have a 2012, get 37mpg city avg. Just went in for my 1st free oil change, they sent me away saying the computer % is what indicates need (at 15%), not the 4k mi on it. Even though it uses synthetic, that still struck me as not right... anyway.

I am going to order a hitch soon, either the Hidden Hitch or Draw Tite, have to read up on each.. there is a good vid on here:
    Trailer Hitch for 2012 Honda Fit | etrailer.com

Trailmax, mind if pick your brain about offset via PM?

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Yes one bike with front tire off will fit with one seat folded down. I think you could fit 2 with both seats folded down. I love this car.
    Yup, sure can! Of course, I'm sure this varies with bike size (medium SlopeStyle and small 5.5 shown).

Although there are countless ways of holding them down, I usually threw a towel between the bars and used a cord to tie the bars together, and the bikes never moved. The gear bags (not shown) kept the front wheels from going anywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice, blaster. I saw on another forum where someone used a piece of plywood w bar nailed on it to stabilize the wheel less fork.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    look at that, right in there. my 29er barely fits in my Element, so i figured no way in the Fit... what a great little vehicle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a 2011 fit and haul my mt bike in the back, front wheel removed. I lay it down instead of sitting it upright. I average 35 mpg city/highway

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Specialized Pitch (wheels removed)
    Specialized SX Trail (front wheel removed)
    Trek Session 77 with a dual-crown fork (wheels removed)

3 full-suspension bikes (size medium), gear, and 3 people. Didn't take long once we got the arrangement down too.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast