Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 152

Thread: Honda Fit

  1. #101
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,752

    Honda Fit

    According to the computer I receive 31-32 mpg at 75-80 mph with a hitch rack and one bike in hilly terrain. I'm kind of a burley guy and people make fun of my little Fit but it is one of the best purchases I've made. After riding in my Fit my sister and brother in law bought a couple of Versas.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,055
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    The engine in my 2000 Nissan Frontier grenaded and now I'm looking at the Fit after reading this thread. It has all the stuff I want - better gas mileage (was getting a 17mpg best in the old truck), cargo capacity (yeah, it's not a truck bed but its close) and cheap (really don't wanna spend more than I need to). I got a lead on three Fit Sports of various vintages but keeping it within 2010 on up with under 75,000 on the odo. If all goes well, there should be a new car (Fit?) in the garage at the end of the week!
    I don't know about your area, but Fit's fetch a premium around here. If you're looking at a 3 year old Fit with 50k miles with a purchase price of $15k, it makes more sense to buy new for $17.5k. Plus, the new facelift looks better, IMO.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    262

    Honda Fit

    A month now into my new 2013 Fit Sport and LOVIN IT! Lots of room inside for bikes and gear, but thinking about a 1UP hitch rack for those times when I need to carry 3 of my bikes...I'll report when I make that decision.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,055
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBM View Post
    A month now into my new 2013 Fit Sport and LOVIN IT! Lots of room inside for bikes and gear, but thinking about a 1UP hitch rack for those times when I need to carry 3 of my bikes...I'll report when I make that decision.
    I'm thinking of getting a hitch installed as well, even though I already have a roof rack. Two reasons being, MPG and garage clearance. Plus, it would be a good option if I needed to tow a little trailer one day (like one of those motorcycle trailers made for Honda Goldwings and such).

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spirit4earth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    88

    Honda Fit

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    According to the computer I receive 31-32 mpg at 75-80 mph with a hitch rack and one bike in hilly terrain. I'm kind of a burley guy and people make fun of my little Fit but it is one of the best purchases I've made. After riding in my Fit my sister and brother in law bought a couple of Versas.
    I'm wondering what kind of hitch you have. I'd like to get one, but it seems like it would involve cutting something under the car. I'm not a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to something like this!
    "Geologic time includes now."

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spirit4earth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    88

    Honda Fit

    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy6 View Post
    I currently have a 2011 Fit with a Yakima Rack. I love the rack because I use it for MTB and snowboarding. The rack does kill MPG though. Prior, without the rack, I would average anywhere from 29 to 32 mpg in town. With just the rack on, I have found it hard to surpass 27.5 mpg. With bikes on for longer trips, I get around 25-26mpg. Although there is a significant drop, it still does better than most larger cars.

    Having the rack for about a year now, I wished I would've invested in a tow hitch style rack. I now have a dent over the driver side door where the q-tower sits on the car. I suspect I either cranked the towers down to tight or the kinds in the apartment complex hung on the bar end. Moreover, I have paint scratches under each ledge where the metal latch latches to the car. The reasoning is because the q-towers do not tighten down hard enough and with a load, like two bikes, on longer road trips the rack tends to shift a bit. It does not shift a lot where it'll dislodge off, but it does have enough movement to scratch the paint to the metal.

    Looking to get a hitch after Christmas and get a hitch rack. Although it will not fix my dent or scratches, I wont have to worry about taking the front wheel off and putting the dirty wheel in my car. I also wont have to worry about putting any more dents and having to take it off when driving through a drive-though carwash when I get lazy. LOL!
    I have a Yakima roof rack on my Fit---now I'm scared to take it off! I hope there aren't dents there! What kind of hitch are you thinking of getting?
    "Geologic time includes now."

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    472
    I don't have a hitch on our Fit yet, but I've been looking at the "Draw-tight" class hitch from etrailer.com. 200lb tongue weight seems a little light, but then I haven't seen anything with much more than that either. With a 23lb 1UP rack and a 25lb bike, you could get 2-3 bikes on there without TOO much trouble.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spirit4earth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    88

    Honda Fit

    That looks like the right hitch for the job, but i would really like to have someone else install it! It doesn't look that difficult, but still......not my thing.
    "Geologic time includes now."

  9. #109
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,752

    Honda Fit

    Mine is a Hidden Hitch. I paid about $100 to have it installed. No issues other than a little rust.

    Has any one tinted their windows and if so was it worthwhile?

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spirit4earth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Mine is a Hidden Hitch. I paid about $100 to have it installed. No issues other than a little rust.

    Has any one tinted their windows and if so was it worthwhile?
    Was it a Honda dealer who installed it for you?

  11. #111
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,752
    My local mechanic. It is not difficult to do and I would have done it if I had a helper and the ability to lift the rear of the car. There is not an easily accessible center rear lift point on the FIT. I probably could of done it without a helper if I could get underneath the car. However, others have managed to do it themselves. I would avoid the dealer. For whatever reason, my AC wasn't working properly when I was out of town. The dealer wanted to charge me a minimum of $150 to fix it. If you trust your dealer not to gouge you, go for it.

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    58
    I hate my wifes Fit. It's painfully slow.

  13. #113
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by SAthirtythree View Post
    I hate my wifes Fit. It's painfully slow.
    It is slow. And kind of buzzy. And darty. Occasionally I think about trading in my 07 Vette and FIT for a semi roomy sporty car but spending a lot of money on a daily driver would kill me, especially since my kid is grown. I have bike stuff I NEED to buy. I really should sell the Vette, but man, the V8 is like crack. I never thought I would buy a GM car.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    58
    I'm biased, but i think the VW GTI is the best of all worlds. Fast, darty, good mpg, roomy hatch, but still a small car. Interior is audi level.

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,055
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Has any one tinted their windows and if so was it worthwhile?
    Got an appointment tomorrow to get it done. With the big windows, it will most definitely be a benefit. Temps around here are nearing triple digits.

    Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    That looks like the right hitch for the job, but i would really like to have someone else install it! It doesn't look that difficult, but still......not my thing.
    Got Uhaul to do my wife's Subaru. Great job, great price and lifetime warranty. I'm going to head there to get my Fit's done.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    It is slow. And kind of buzzy. And darty. Occasionally I think about trading in my 07 Vette and FIT for a semi roomy sporty car but spending a lot of money on a daily driver would kill me, especially since my kid is grown. I have bike stuff I NEED to buy. I really should sell the Vette, but man, the V8 is like crack. I never thought I would buy a GM car.
    V8 is nice. My Landcruiser sits in the garage and I think about trading it in, but one cruise around town or on a trail and that thought vanishes.

    Quote Originally Posted by SAthirtythree View Post
    I'm biased, but i think the VW GTI is the best of all worlds. Fast, darty, good mpg, roomy hatch, but still a small car. Interior is audi level.
    No, not the best of all worlds. Sure, it's got nice interior, nice styling, but it's heavily bloated (3,000+ lbs), "small" inside, and hit-or-miss reliability. MKVII "seems" to be an improvement in reliability, but hasn't been out long, so time will tell. Never had much luck with VW products in the past. That CEL seemed to have more "on" time than off.

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    No, not the best of all worlds. Sure, it's got nice interior, nice styling, but it's heavily bloated (3,000+ lbs), "small" inside, and hit-or-miss reliability. MKVII "seems" to be an improvement in reliability, but hasn't been out long, so time will tell. Never had much luck with VW products in the past. That CEL seemed to have more "on" time than off.
    Sorry you've had bum luck with yours, but mine's neve so much as hiccuped.
    Who cares if it's 3000 lbs if it:
    1) still accelerates faster than most cars that weigh 500-700lbs less(in the same price range)
    2) handles better than any other FWD car on the road (save maybe the Honda Prelude type SH (also 3000lbs))
    3) gets great gas millage
    I guess "hit-or-miss" is pretty fair, mine's been a hit though. The only complaint I have about my car is VW went a little overboard with the computerized traction and stability controls, you can't fully turn them off for say autocross.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,055
    Quote Originally Posted by SAthirtythree View Post
    Sorry you've had bum luck with yours, but mine's neve so much as hiccuped.
    Who cares if it's 3000 lbs if it:
    1) still accelerates faster than most cars that weigh 500-700lbs less(in the same price range)
    2) handles better than any other FWD car on the road (save maybe the Honda Prelude type SH (also 3000lbs))
    3) gets great gas millage
    I guess "hit-or-miss" is pretty fair, mine's been a hit though. The only complaint I have about my car is VW went a little overboard with the computerized traction and stability controls, you can't fully turn them off for say autocross.
    1) No way. Mazdaspeed3 and Focus are faster with way more power (stock). Simple chip almost levels the playing field, though. I do miss the turbo kicking in.
    2) Prelude?? Forget the Prelude. Currently lineup of Mini's all destroy GTI's. even the R32. If we're going back to the Prelude days, my old Integra Type R ran circles around the GTI. The Toyota Celica is also a competitor in the G-stock, and definitely better auto-x car than the GTI.
    3) They do get good MPG for the amount of power they produce. Although the Mini still beats it in this category as well.

    I still have love for the GTI's. I want to see how the new MKVII's do and maybe in a few years, I may pick one up. My Fit serves 100% of my needs right now, so I don't see changing anytime soon.

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    1) No way. Mazdaspeed3 and Focus are faster with way more power (stock). Simple chip almost levels the playing field, though. I do miss the turbo kicking in.
    Both those cars are 3200lbs claimed by the manufacturer. My whole point was that It carries it's weight well, so there's no need to count it out based on that.

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,055
    Quote Originally Posted by SAthirtythree View Post
    Both those cars are 3200lbs claimed by the manufacturer. My whole point was that It carries it's weight well, so there's no need to count it out based on that.
    I'm not disagreeing with you on that. Just pointing out that it's not the top dog in that category. Even the Civic Si is a contendor. I love that turbo, though, especially the new TSI engines VW's putting in.

    But despite it's ability to carry its weight well, you can still really feel it around the track, especially coming into a corner. Does a number on the brakes, too. But for a daily driver, it was a fun little car.

    For me at this point, Fit > GTI. Utility and reliability are two big factors. Go-fast is not a priority for me, right now.

  20. #120
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,639
    Quote Originally Posted by SAthirtythree View Post
    Both those cars are 3200lbs claimed by the manufacturer. My whole point was that It carries it's weight well, so there's no need to count it out based on that.
    Exactly. The Fit is a great car, but IMO, fairly underpowered. Even my old GTi (which was basically a 2.slo 115hp 4 cyl Golf with 2 doors a suspension package, sport seats and a roof antenna) felt way quicker, even though it had less horsepower on paper and weighed more. The key is that VW/Audi goes for tons of torque on the low end of the RPM band. They tune their engines so they have 85% of the torque available from 1800 RPM to 5000 RPM with a peak around 3000 RPM. While the numbers are lower on paper, you can feel it pull throughout much more of the driveable range. Honda tends to tune their engines so they have a torque peak at 4800 RPM, or so, which is out of the normal cruising range by quite a bit.

    Then again, my GTi typically got 33mpg at best... usually 31 mpg. However, it was huge inside. I regularly put two or three bikes inside and had room for passengers. I once hauled 500 pounds of dirt in buckets to the dump in the back of that car.

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,055
    No one is disputing that the Fit is not fast. Then again, it's not meant to be. If that's on the priority list, look at the other options.

    Back on topic, here was my errand run today. 1,015 bottled water from Costco (with room to spare, mind you). This is why I love the little guy.


  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    631
    Buy a sport model with a stick and stop whining.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  23. #123
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,639
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    Buy a sport model with a stick and stop whining.
    Heh.. the one I drove was a Sport. Is there any difference under the hood between the Sport model and the regular? I though it was all trim differences... not unlike my Mk3 GTi 4 cyl.

  24. #124
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,639
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    No one is disputing that the Fit is not fast. Then again, it's not meant to be. If that's on the priority list, look at the other options.

    Back on topic, here was my errand run today. 1,015 bottled water from Costco (with room to spare, mind you). This is why I love the little guy.

    Wow... that is nuts! You sure you didn't exceed the weight limit of that thing?

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8
    I think that the debate over the "best car" has been expanded into areas that the Fit does not fit into (pun intended). The Fit is a relatively low cost, high mileage car with features that make it versatile. My 2012 Fit gets 38 mpg going to and from work (35 mile roundtrip) WITH a 29er on top. The stereo plays reasonably well, the air conditioner blows cold (and will stay that way when I get the windows tinted), and carries four passengers comfortably. I just did a thousand mile round trip from SE AZ to Flagstaff with my wife and 18 year old daughter, in 100 degree weather, up and down mountains, carrying my 29er on top at 75-80 mph and the car worked flawlessly and returned 33-35 mpg. With all of the caveats of owning an economy compact car and tempering my expectations to the Fit, it's a great car. When you factor in the Honda reliability, fit and finish, and convenience items, it's a fantastic car. Keep the debate within the bounds of compact, economy cars, no GTIs, no Mazdaspeed 3s or others similar in performance.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •