Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Honda Fit

I have had good luck with some 15" kumhos from tirerack. Noticeably better than the stock rubber at a good price, and they were highly rated. They were only rated as mediocre for snow use so I might look for some 15" steel wheels for winter tires in the future. Have to put new tires on the wife's car this winter, though

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wow. I think the best mileage I've ever gotten was when I filled up on a road trip and put in only highway miles. I got 36 mpg.

Normally I get about 30-32 mpg max. But I live in LA where I split my time equally between the freeway and ridiculously heavy city traffic. I admittedly have a lead foot when driving on the freeway. But I can't seem to help myself. I spend so much of my time dealing with crazy traffic that when I have the opportunity to open it up on the freeway during non-rush hour times, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by speckledtrout View Post
    Wow. I think the best mileage I've ever gotten was when I filled up on a road trip and put in only highway miles. I got 36 mpg.

Normally I get about 30-32 mpg max. But I live in LA where I split my time equally between the freeway and ridiculously heavy city traffic. I admittedly have a lead foot when driving on the freeway. But I can't seem to help myself. I spend so much of my time dealing with crazy traffic that when I have the opportunity to open it up on the freeway during non-rush hour times, I do.
    I am about to take a long road trip. Gonna take the Thule roof rack off to see if I can break 35mpg. Won't happen in TX with the 70mph hilly country highways but maybe once I hit a tailwind in AR or the Mississippi river valley flatlands. I, too, usually average about 30-32, but my driving is very little highway and more 3-7 mi trips in town.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    At 8,000 miles and a trip to BC from CA and back, going strong. Great car, highly recommend, plenty of room for bikes with the backseats folded down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nafrod View Post
    At 8,000 miles and a trip to BC from CA and back, going strong. Great car, highly recommend, plenty of room for bikes with the backseats folded down.
    Sounds like a fun trip! Any idea what your mileage was around?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    Sounds like a fun trip! Any idea what your mileage was around?
    The car was loaded up with about 600-700 pounds (wife and I at around 300 combined, plus bikes and food/supplies for a 30 day camping trip and we got 35ish highway. Now that I'm commuting around town everyday, its closer to 31, but I drive aggressively. 1 passenger and freeway driving expect around 37 mpg...

mtbr member
    Not too bad. Thank you for the info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    super old thread, but I'm new here so I thought i'd chime in where i can

2010 Honda Fit (base model, baby!). I regularly stuff our two bikes in the back to head down to the beach.

If you wedge the bike's rear tire between the seat and the b-pillar, the bike will stay upright with no straps or anything needed. Do that on both sides for 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I love my wife's Fit (2008, finally paid off). Just used it to bring home my new Big Dummy. Yes, a huge cargo bike fit within the uber-tiny Honda Fit. I swear these two were made to go together. You can see a picture over in the Cargo-bikes forum: A New Dummy

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I currently have a 2011 Fit with a Yakima Rack. I love the rack because I use it for MTB and snowboarding. The rack does kill MPG though. Prior, without the rack, I would average anywhere from 29 to 32 mpg in town. With just the rack on, I have found it hard to surpass 27.5 mpg. With bikes on for longer trips, I get around 25-26mpg. Although there is a significant drop, it still does better than most larger cars.

Having the rack for about a year now, I wished I would've invested in a tow hitch style rack. I now have a dent over the driver side door where the q-tower sits on the car. I suspect I either cranked the towers down to tight or the kinds in the apartment complex hung on the bar end. Moreover, I have paint scratches under each ledge where the metal latch latches to the car. The reasoning is because the q-towers do not tighten down hard enough and with a load, like two bikes, on longer road trips the rack tends to shift a bit. It does not shift a lot where it'll dislodge off, but it does have enough movement to scratch the paint to the metal.

Looking to get a hitch after Christmas and get a hitch rack. Although it will not fix my dent or scratches, I wont have to worry about taking the front wheel off and putting the dirty wheel in my car. I also wont have to worry about putting any more dents and having to take it off when driving through a drive-though carwash when I get lazy. LOL!

I'm shopping for a new car and the Fit is on the top of the list. One question: I plan on putting the bike in the car, mostly for security reasons. Are there any type of seat back protectors available? Subaru has hard plastic pieces that screws into the back of the seats. I can see my gear tearing up the interior pretty quick.

Edit: nevermind. Looks like the cargo liner takes care of this.

mtbr member
    I too will be shopping for a new car/hatchback - but I'm a year away. The Fit is at the top of my list(behind it is the Ford Focus and Kia Soul). I'll use a hitch rack(the one I have for my truck should work).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well guys, I brought my new Fit home today! It's an 07 Sport, red, with only 45k on it. I've been driving Jeeps for 20 years and some sort of truck for almost 30 so this will be a bit of an adjustment. I think it will be fun though, especially not having to stop at the gas pump every 3 days.
    The posts in this thread helped seal the deal, so thanks.
    Now...where is the best source for parts/accessories (need some mats asap) and suggestions for a Honda / Fit forum?

mtbr member
    GT guy, let us know how you're liking the Fit(and the adjustment to a smaller vehicle). The Fit is at the top of my car shopping list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    GT_guy,check out fitfreak.net,lots of good info and pictures of what your fit could be.My wife has an 09 LX(Canadian,eh!)and loves it.50 k and zero issues,great car.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

My first month with the Fit

Quote Originally Posted by trek7100 View Post
    GT guy, let us know how you're liking the Fit(and the adjustment to a smaller vehicle). The Fit is at the top of my car shopping list.
    Just wrapped up my first month with my Fit. Since you asked, here is my review.
    First, this car is a blast to drive! It's like driving a go-cart, especially coming from a lifted Jeep. It's surprisingly quick for having such a small motor (it is only 2500lbs!). It's not going to win any 0-60 races, but it's good good 40-60 acceleration so you don't feel like you're going to get run over on the highway entrances.

It feels much bigger on the inside than it looks. There's lots of headroom and lots of glass, so it feels very open and spacious. The doors are big and open wide so getting in and out is very easy, even in the back. Of course the cargo space is legendary. The interior looks good, the plastics don't have that cheap look to them. The seats are not very thickly cushioned but still comfortable. The steering wheel is very comfortable. The carpet is thin - almost more like a blanket than a carpet. Mats are a necessity.

The OE stereo is adequate, at least for my needs. The only knock is the radio reception, it's not very good for distant stations, probably due to the itty-bitty antenna on the roof.

The biggest drawback on the interior is the placement of the pedals. There's not much legroom up front, so by the time you move the seat back to where your legs are comfortable, the steering wheel is too far away (and I'm only 5'9"). Adjusting the seat for arm reach makes the pedals (esp the gas) feel close. It's been OK so far but I could see it being uncomfortable on a long highway trip. Good thing the car has cruise control.

There's good storage - cupholders for all 5 passengers, big door pockets, good size glove compartment.

The best part about this car? I've put $70 worth of gas in it in a month. That's less than I was putting in my Jeep in a week! 34mpg avg. That would be enough to sell me on this car even if I wasn't having so much fun driving it.
    It does beg for some mods though. There doesn't seem to be as big an aftermarket for the Fit as for Jeeps, but I'm not going crazy on it either. For now I just want to get a slightly deeper sounding exhaust and I already have an appt to get the rear windows tinted (too easy to see in the back, and it should help in the summer). I'm going to need some new tires soon and so I'm thinking about some new wheels too. (not a big fan of shiny silver wheels).

Bottom line - as long as you don't expect this to be a super fast, super plush car I don't see how you can go wrong. Plenty of room, very economical and reliable, and fun to drive. Fit is Go!

@relic - I've been reading and learning a lot on fitfreak.net - thanks for the tip.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Have you seen any of the forum threads where someone has painted their wheels with Plasti-dip spray? It changes the looks and peels off when you are tired of it. I'm sure you can google it up. Of course there are more permanent solutions too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Have you seen any of the forum threads where someone has painted their wheels with Plasti-dip spray? It changes the looks and peels off when you are tired of it. I'm sure you can google it up. Of course there are more permanent solutions too.
    I've had success painting aluminum wheels with Duplicolor wheel paint. I've never worked with Plasti-dip.
    I plan on a set of winter tires for next year, so I might "need" new wheels anyway.
    I kinda like the look of the Integra LS webs, so I'm watching for a used set nearby.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    On my wife's Fit there's a lever on the bottom of the steering column for tilt and telescopic adjustment.Not sure if it's model specific or on all Fits,take a look at yours GT_guy,could solve your problem.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Telescoping, very helpful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by relic View Post
    On my wife's Fit there's a lever on the bottom of the steering column for tilt and telescopic adjustment.Not sure if it's model specific or on all Fits,take a look at yours GT_guy,could solve your problem.
    On my '07 it only adjusts tilt. The tele feature must only be on the 09+ models.

Trek7100 (and anyone else shopping for a used Fit) - I forgot to mention in my other post that it's worth looking for a Sport model rather than the Base. It's much better equipped and there was not much of a price difference in the used car pricing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'll add to the Fit discussion. At Christmas-time, we bought a 2012 Fit Sport w/ 5 speed manual transmission. For bike purposes, I added a Yakima Whispbar and two rails. My mileage going back and forth to work (35 mile round trip, mixed city/highway) is 37 mpg calculated, not using the trip meter. I did do a trip to Phoenix which was 360 miles round trip with one mtn bike on top and averaged 30 mpg at 75 mph. So far this car has been pretty amazing, but also keeping in mind that it's an economy car.

dirtbag
    The engine in my 2000 Nissan Frontier grenaded and now I'm looking at the Fit after reading this thread. It has all the stuff I want - better gas mileage (was getting a 17mpg best in the old truck), cargo capacity (yeah, it's not a truck bed but its close) and cheap (really don't wanna spend more than I need to). I got a lead on three Fit Sports of various vintages but keeping it within 2010 on up with under 75,000 on the odo. If all goes well, there should be a new car (Fit?) in the garage at the end of the week!
    Amolan

troll
    The Fit is probably one of the greatest vehicles ever made. We love our 2008 Sport, and have driven it all over the country with bikes and dogs and all kinds of gear. First thing I installed was a Hidden Hitch and a Thule 2-bike hitch rack. I really only use the rack when I need to haul extra passengers... otherwise, it fits two bikes and a ton of gear inside just fine.

mtbr member
    I did a 400 mile road trip this weekend and drove 85-90 mph the entire way and still got 33 mpg. On the way back I slowed it down to 75-80 and got almost 38mpg!

The fit gets its best mileage around 55-65. I can get 40-42 if I keep it under 60.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast