Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Honda Fit

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Honda Fit-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349966609.230845.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    If I had to travel long distances on four lane highways on a regular basis in the mountains, I would choose a more powerful car. I have taken it on occasional long trips with one through the WV mountains. Maintaining 80mph was achievable but I had to work the engine to do so. My milage according to the computer is 33mpg.
    I do not even drive 80mph in my Outback. lol You got balls. I still want to get a FIT and trade my Ouback in.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    I do not even drive 80mph in my Outback. lol You got balls. I still want to get a FIT and trade my Ouback in.
    I always seem to pass other FIT drivers, but those Prius drivers have lead feet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I always seem to pass other FIT drivers, but those Prius drivers have lead feet.
    Not bad. Are you happy with your FIt? How many miles so far if I may ask? Any mechanical issues?
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Reliable, inexpensive. What's not to like. But seriously, the only issue I had was some knocking from one of the rear suspension struts which was cured with lube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Reliable, inexpensive. What's not to like. But seriously, the only issue I had was some knocking from one of the rear suspension struts which was cured with lube.
    I am looking forward to it then.

Offroader
    Will a medium frame Specialized stumpjumper fit inside the fit with both wheels on?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    Does anyone have anymore feedback as far as performance in the mountains/hills? Also, any pics with a hitch rack? I'm looking at moving to CO in a few months and want to make sure I'm not suffering with the hill climbs too bad. Thanks!
    If mountains are involved, u might want to think about something with a turbocharged engine like a Sonic. A NA engine will "work", but definitely at lower performance.
    whatever...

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AREK28 View Post
    Will a medium frame Specialized stumpjumper fit inside the fit with both wheels on?
    Yes, if you lower the seat. And cut the frame in half.

One wheel, yes. Both, quit dreaming

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    One wheel, yes. Both, quit dreaming
    a bike with the front wheel removed is too long to fit crossways, isn't it? it would be sweet to flip up the back seat seat bottoms, and stand the bike up crossways in there. but now that i think of it, it's definitely too long, huh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    If mountains are involved, u might want to think about something with a turbocharged engine like a Sonic. A NA engine will "work", but definitely at lower performance.
    That's what I was thinking with a small NA engine. Thank you. I should probably find a place to rent both.

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    Not sure on the stumpjumper, but a medium epic 29er definitely will. Slide the bike in as far as possible from the hatch then go to the side door and turn the bars so the front wheel points up. It fits with room to spare. The front passenger seat has to be moved forward and the car pretty much becomes a one-seater, but it works great if that's all you need.

Edited to add: That's with a driver that's around 5'8. For someone much taller it may not work.
    Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither. - Ben Franklin

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I went to a dealership to sign paperwork for a Honda Civic Coupe Si for my wife and checked the Fit Sports in red out. I am really impressed with the car. It feels more roomy than Outback which made me sad. If I get a good deal on my trade in I am getting one for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Idea View Post
    Not sure on the stumpjumper, but a medium epic 29er definitely will. Slide the bike in as far as possible from the hatch then go to the side door and turn the bars so the front wheel points up. It fits with room to spare. The front passenger seat has to be moved forward and the car pretty much becomes a one-seater, but it works great if that's all you need.

Edited to add: That's with a driver that's around 5'8. For someone much taller it may not work.
    hate to say it, but that's just not a practical way to do it. I'm usually going riding with at least one other person (my wife) so I need at minimum both front seats to be usable. For one, it's not hard to put a fork block in the back and just take the front wheel off. plus, that method lets you secure the bike so it's not sliding around in the back due to "spirited driving" which the car tends to beg for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    How does the Fit handle in winter weather? Seems like it would become a plow in 3 or 4" of snow.
    Anybody run a 2nd set of wheels with real snow tires in winter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy View Post
    How does the Fit handle in winter weather? Seems like it would become a plow in 3 or 4" of snow.
    Anybody run a 2nd set of wheels with real snow tires in winter?
    I've been looking for winter wheels and tires for my Fit. They don't make a studded snow tire for the 16" wheels that will fit the Fit. I have to buy some steel 15" if I want to run studs. The tires and wheels are cheap in 15". I'm getting steel wheels and studded snow tires for $490 delivered. I haven't had any problems in the snow and ice so far this season. The traction control works really well.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    how much do regular all season tires cost? is the 16" tire expensive or difficult to find?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    how much do regular all season tires cost? is the 16" tire expensive or difficult to find?
    It depends on your budget and what you want. I went with 185/55R16 Yokohama AVID Ascend (H- or V-Speed Rated) Blackwall Grand Touring All-Season Tires and 16x6.5 Rial Murago Anthracite Painted from TireRack.

If you want winter tires you may want to go with 185/55R16 BridgeStone BridgestoneBlizzak WS60.

I am not an expert when it comes to cars but I would say I know enough to be advise.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    It depends on your budget and what you want. I went with 185/55R16 Yokohama AVID Ascend (H- or V-Speed Rated) Blackwall Grand Touring All-Season Tires .
    oh, definitely. how much were the avids?

mtbr member
    16" tires are more expensive especially in the stock Fit size.

Local tire shops wanted $180 EACH for winter NON-studded 185/55/16. ($720 total)

It was cheaper to order 15" steel rims and 185/65/15 studded snow tires. ($490)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    oh, definitely. how much were the avids?
    There you go. Those guys are great.

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

I paid $420 for a set of 4.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    okay, thanks. i like the look of the Sport, but I am not convinced that a 2500lb vehicle needs 16" wheels and the more expensive tires that go along with that. I guess tires ought to last a long time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    okay, thanks. i like the look of the Sport, but I am not convinced that a 2500lb vehicle needs 16" wheels and the more expensive tires that go along with that. I guess tires ought to last a long time.
    Stock tires are mediocre and create a lot of road noise.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    yeah, OEM tires are seldom worth a hoot.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast