Thread: Honda CRV rack

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Honda CRV rack

My girlfriend is looking for a quick to use rack for her car, a Honda CRV. Her bike is a Salsa Mukluk, so has fat wheels. She wants something simple to use that she can leave on the car when it is just her using it, so the bike can be put on really quickly.

We already have a thule euroclassic for when both of us are taking our bikes out, but it is too large and bulky for daily use when it is just her using it. Ideally we are looking for something that is either left on the car but is not bulky or something that is light weight, and quick to install. Also the mounting of the bike on the rack should be a quick process.

We have looked at the Saris Graber and BAT racks along with the Hollywood F7, any comments on these?

On the fatbike thread someone suggested a 1Up rack but they are not available in the UK>

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What year CRV, and hitch or roof?

Sadly the only one I know of is 1UP, in terms of tray style where you don't remove the front wheel.. But I have an 06 CRV which has a rear spare tire so for my fat bike I have a Thule Spare Me.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    james - no rack suggestions for you, but can she just leave the seats folded down and put the bike in the car? Would be the cheapest and safest. May take a minute more to undo the front wheel, but not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ideally spare wheel.

Roof is too awkward for her to lift the bike onto, and a hitch rack is likely to get overheated by the exhaust, we had to buy a heat shield to attach to the Thule euroclassic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If she has the spare tire on the outside of the car, I'd say just get a Thule Spare Me or similar. Don't skimp and get a cheap one though- get a Thule or Yakima, they have more anti-sway features and more secure mounting.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The car is used for transporting dogs, so there is no room inside for a bike.

It appears the Spare Me and Yakima racks are also not sold in the UK.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The 1up rack should hold the bike high enough to be well clear so the exhaust.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just ordered a Kuat NV for my Honda Pilot. I too own a Mukluk and the trays of these hold the fat tires well, except you may have to order an extended ratchet strap for the rear tire (or use a toe strap). If you also get the two bike extension you can likely position the bikes further out from the spare.