mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Homemade Fairing Help/Engineer needed

Question.

I am making my own roof rack fairing and wondering what would be the best thing to do for reinforcement. I am making if out of a plexiglass that i got from Home Depot (1/4" thick). I'm using some L brackets then bent them to get the proper angle for the fairing to bolt onto. I am just worried that highway speeds might be too much for the 1/4" thick plexi and snap it in half.

My options:
    #1: Reinforce the plexiglass by using a flat piece of metal going vertically with bolts going through to hold it

or

#2: score and glue together another piece of plexiglass of the same size to get it to 1/2" thick

thoughts? other ideas?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How long is this fairing going to be? If it's the typical 6-8" just leave it as is, no need for reinforcement.

You may want to use stainless hardware if you're going to leave it on the car all the time though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerTi View Post
    How long is this fairing going to be? If it's the typical 6-8" just leave it as is, no need for reinforcement.

You may want to use stainless hardware if you're going to leave it on the car all the time though.
    the dimensions will be 36" long by 8" high I believe... I will have to measure the height but I now that it is 36" long

You think that 1/4" thick will withstand say 90 mph winds? (70mph traveling + 20mph wind gusts)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You should be fine, just don't overtighten the fasteners going through it or you may crack it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I plan on using fender washers to help from doing that as well

mtbr member

The Thule.models are not 1/4" thick

They use the same mounting arm as a stiffener. With three arms, the distance between is only about 18"
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

Retired User
    I would consider adding a neoprene/rubber washer between the fender washer and the plexiglass (both sides.) It'll help you get a snug fit while also helping keep plexi from cracking.

Post pics when complete. This should be interesting.