Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Which Hitch - T2 vs. Stick-up vs. Thelma

So I want to stay with a hitch mount and my new bike (Element) will not work with the standard hitch mount.

My bike is an XL and has a fairly long wheel base, I am concerned that with a tray style or wheel holding bike rack that my wheels will be hanging low and if I bottom out that the wheels would be the first to hit. THe rack will be going on a 2006 Jetta 2.5L if that helps.

THe racks that will work with my car/bike set-up are as follows:

THule T2 - most expensive, heavy, solid cosntruction, tried and tested design.

Yakima Stick-up - middle price point, I am fond of Yakima products and this rack look sturdy - probably similar weight to T2

Saris Thelma 2 - cheapest rack, lightest rack. Looks like longer wheel base bikes have a lot of problems fitting on the Thelma, look slike the wheels hang low.

So my main concerns are: 1) the wheelbase fitting on the rack 2) The wheels hanging to low to the ground with a tray mount style rack

Also I will be remoiving this rack every time I use it, I can handle the weight of the T2 but it might eventually get to be annoying.

Given the above information what rack would you recommend?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'd look at the Raxter racks. They are super light, super easy to load and compact. That might be the ticket for you.

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yakima and Saris' J-bend hitch mount for their racks are going to give you more ground clearance than the 4-bar setup on the T2. You'll still probably need to use caution in some road transitions since I doubt the jetta hitch will have much ground clearance compared to an SUV.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Does anyone have any pictures of the Yakima Stick-up or the Thule T2 installed on their sedan - preferrably with bikes on and a side shot - I would like to see the ground clearance if possible.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here's the raxter 4 bike rack. Each set of 2 bikes is higher from the bumper than the previous.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Here's the raxter 4 bike rack. Each set of 2 bikes is higher from the bumper than the previous.
    Not any better than the T2 for the bottom part of the rack base which is easy to bottom out on sedans w/hitches. The Yakima and Saris are j-bends needed for low clearance applications.

Yakima base:

Saris base:

Sportworks/Thule T2 base:
    Last edited by syadasti; 04-12-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Tossin the salad.
    I used to own a Xport flatbed, which BTW is very light weight! But once I got rid of my sedan and got an SUV the xport was useless because I was unable to open the rear hatch (only rear window).
    So I sold it and started shopping. After looking at all the racks you mentioned above, I decided to get the T2 by Thule.
    It truly is a awesome rack!! It is on the heavy side, but it holds the bikes safely and plus all the positive reviews on it. I doubt anyone ever said this rack sucks!

I do not have any cons about it, but being heavy, then again I am comparing the flatbed (hollywood) and to compare, the quality is nothing alike.

I can tell you how to get the T2 for about 80.00 less from the $399 price tag.
    If you are a member of REI wait to get the next 20% off coupon to purchase.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    SO looking at the pictures of the three racks, I think the Yakima Stick-up and Saris Thelma are the two racks to look at since they have the J-Bend. I am sure the Thule T2 is a great rack but that straight bar application looks like it will bottom out on most transitions.

So the questions regarding the Thelma is can it handle a wheel base of 1120 mm or 112 cm? Also is the thelma able to carry 29er bikes - as this is my next purchase and I believe the wheel base will be quite large - so does anyone know what the max wheelbase the Thelma can carry?

Also, does anyone have any comments on the Yakima stick-up? Weight, durability, ease of use?

Cheers

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by XC23
    Also is the thelma able to carry 29er bikes - as this is my next purchase and I believe the wheel base will be quite large - so does anyone know what the max wheelbase the Thelma can carry?
    This link goes to a thread about 29ers and the Thelma rack
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just bought a T2 for my Subaru Impreza. The 1.25" version that I have sits up higher from the hitch than the 2" version in the picture above. I think it is exactly the same as the 2" version they just cut the 2" tube and weld a 1.25" tube to the bottom of it, so it sits 1.25" higher. Hope this makes sense. It's not a big difference but it does help. The rack also angles up a bit which further helps clearance. I tried the saris Thelma and I felt there were too many limitaions, 29ers don't really fit, fat tires don't really fit, long wheel bases don't really fit, but it is really light weight. I haven't had the T2 long but it feels really solid. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Has anyone tried the 1upUSA Quik-Rack?
    http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm

I have a Mazda MX-5 that I'm planning on installing a 1.25" hitch on, and I need a light and compact single bike rack. I've narrowed it down to the 1up rack, or the Raxter. It looks like 1upUSA sells both. I've read all the reviews, and it seems like the Raxter is more popular around here, but the 1up is very intriguing, and looks extremely well built. Any input is appreciated. I'd like to pick one up soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That looks really cool - just what I'm looking for. I like the idea of being able to quickly add bike capability in 1 bike increments up to 4 bikes.

Do the arms ratchet as you move them up to engage the tires?

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Acutally, I just answered my own question. I called 1upUSA and talked with them for a while.

The arms have a cam lock sort of arrangement. There is a trigger you trip to open them up. After that, as you close them they ratchet down ever tighter until you trip the trigger again. The weight of the rack is 22 lbs for the first bike and 15 lbs for each bike thereafter You can put it on and take it off as a single unit (4 bikes or less) but they say that it is so easy to add the additional trays that they recommend you do it that way. Then you never have to muscle the whole thing around. So, a 4 bike version is 67lbs vs about 90lbs for the others. But the heaviest piece you ever have to manage is basically 22lbs. While they don't recommend it, you can keep adding bike kits forever...

This unit also fits both 1-1/4" and 2" receivers. It has a built in antisway bolt and is very easy to install - there is no pin to line up.

They are also working on a roof top version. It is basically their current tray that goes on the back but will mount on any roof rack and securely lock to it with their tamper proof bolt system (essentially a key).

Turns out the reason that nobody has a two arm system like this (i.e. Thule and Yakima) is because of 1upUSA's patent. Raxter does infringe but apparently they work together on that somehow.

This will be the rack that I buy for the hitch.
    J.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I just bought the 1up rack. It's pricey, but it looks awesome, and I think it will be the best rack for my very low clearance 2007 Mx-5. I only need to carry one bike. It looks like it's built like a tank. I'll take pics and review when I get it. I'll post here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    7crwolf, did you get your rack yet?

Drunken fool
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter
    I can tell you how to get the T2 for about 80.00 less from the $399 price tag.
    If you are a member of REI wait to get the next 20% off coupon to purchase.

If you're an REI member you can wait for their scratch and dent sale and usually find awesome deals there. I picked up my T2 that way for $50. It was in perfect shape and had all the parts. It looked (IMO) like someone bought it for a biking trip, used it that once, and then returned it taking advantage of REI's liberal return policy. They had 2 that day at that price and I'm still kicking myself for not buying both.

I have the Thule T2 on my Jetta right now, it does hang low but I have yet to drag it on anything. Just be aware you having something hanging off the back. The bike is very secure on that rack back there, even when hitting 85mph on the interstate on the way into work this AM. I didn't get any sway or rocking at all. The rack is super easy to load/unload, much easier than a roof rack. We had a Yak rack on the roof but my wife was always complaining about how hard it was to get the bikes up there so we put a hitch on the Jetta to solve that issue. She can install and carry the T2 no problem and she's all of five feet tall, so you shouldn't have an issue. I would recommend the T2 in a heart beat, and I have yet to run into any problems with it...plus for $50 there's really no room to complain.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

mtbr member

1up Quick-Rack

John & 7crwolf,

+1 Would love to hear how you like the 1up Quick-Rack! Specifically, I'm interested in:

- Pinless/boltless hitch mount. It seems like it is pretty much held in by friction with the extender ball, no?

- How far does the first rack and the Add-On stick out horizontally from the end of your hitch receiver? I'm worried about clearance on our steep driveway.

- How is the sway when you drive?

There is one review for this in the MTBR Review section, but that user has no posts in the forum. So, maybe it was put there by someone at 1upUSA, especially since they have a link to it on their website?

Thanks!
    Consuela

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Guys who asked...

Yes, I got the rack, but it's been DUMPING BUCKETS here in Indianapolis, so I've only had a chance to use the rack once. But, yes, I'm very happy with the purchase of the rack from 1upUSA. If you have any questions, give them a call. I called before I ordered, and spoke to the guy who appears to own the company.

It's a great product. Well built, very solid. The design is truly innovative, and ingenious, in my opinion. It doesn't use a pin, but instead uses a special allen style wrench (with an anti-theft "bump" in the middle to prevent standard allens from working). You just turn the bolt, and it extends a steel "ball" built in the hitch itself, and it just applies pressure inside the receiver. It applies more than enough pressure to keep the rack rock solid.

Regarding the securing mechanism, it's all it claims to be. The bike sits in the rack in like, 5 seconds. All you do is open each arm of the rack (holding a small lever to allow it open), then set the bike, then close the arms. The lever automatically locks the arms in place, with infinite adjustment... Hard to explain, but it works. It does not get extremely tight, and because your really not locking the front wheel in as tight as a fork skewer, there is a little wobbling, but it's not going anywhere.

Regarding size, I have NEVER seen a hitch mount with better clearance and less rear overhang. It is the PERFECT solution for a low ground clearance vehicle, or if you only want to transport one bike. Plus, I bought it with the intention of eventually using it on my Miata, which is low, and has a tiny trunk. This thing when folded up, fits in it's trunk. It's pretty amazing. Also, if you don't like it, they guarantee it for a month (I think), and the guy pays for shipping both ways. You have nothing to lose. Get it. I have one crappy pic from last time I went riding, attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That doesn't look like a Miata. Did you get a bike add-on too?

I think he needs to use distributors and dealers like every other rack maker does. Their older product was around forever and it was never nearly as popular at as Yak, Thule, Performance, and other racks. Kuat is a newer but similar high-end rack company and they are already more popular than this brand cause they don't go at it alone. The free shipping offer is standard fare from any of the mail order rack resellers - its not unique at all other than the return shipping prepaid which I would think almost nobody ever uses unless they have damage or fit problems. People have posted stories on here with fit/damage problems and usually the reseller or manufacturer takes care of that for free too.

In case people haven't seen it, this is the old version they sold:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-catego...6_6184crx.aspx

mtbr member
    What happens if you lose pressure in a tire?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    What happens if you lose pressure in a tire?
    You are effed.

It would flop around I would think. Then you'd stop, and tighten the arms, and it would be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 7crwolf
    You are effed.

It would flop around I would think. Then you'd stop, and tighten the arms, and it would be fine.
    Yeah the T2/Holdup arms sometimes slip themselves from bumps even without losing air pressure and its not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You are right. That is not a Miata. It is my wife's Forester.

I'm still debating if I want to ruin the look of my 2007 PRHT MX-5 by putting a hitch on it... But you can see why I would need something that holds the bike by the wheels. I attempted to mount a trunk rack, but the bike practically scraped the ground. This rack will definitely work better than anything I've seen for a vehicle this low. But I can tell you that I take the Miata to the twisty roads of NC/TN a lot, and it is nice to have the bike there too. (Tsali is awesome)... I think I might bite the bullet and add the ugly hitch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 7crwolf; 05-15-2009 at 07:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 7crwolf
    You are effed.

Yeah a flat tire could be a bad thing. I have read others post those concerns about the T2. I have the T2 and the rear tire lost air once after it was mounted but there was no issues.
    If the front tire lost pressure, It might be a different story.

I just wanted to know if there was a fail safe mechanism for the 1up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Yeah a flat tire could be a bad thing. I have read others post those concerns about the T2. I have the T2 and the rear tire lost air once after it was mounted but there was no issues.
    If the front tire lost pressure, It might be a different story.

I just wanted to know if there was a fail safe mechanism for the 1up.
    I think it was mentioned above those arms are ratcheting so other than excessive movement I don't think you'd have any other problems. The sidearm style (T2/Saris/Yak) tray racks all have arm migration when I've used them without the need of a flat tire for movement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast