mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Hitch Rack set up for towing

I have a tent camper (pop-up) that I tow behind my 2008 F-150. Need to haul 4 bikes up to Maine (from PA) for a summer vacation. Roof rack space is used up by kayaks and a cargo shuttle. The bed of the truck is loaded with coolers / gear.

My latest solution was to add a dual hitch extender and slide a hitch mount Yakima rack to the upper receiver. I then put a 12 inch extender in the lower reciever and then the ball hitch for the camper. Needed the 12 inch extender to get the camper far enough away to fit the bikes. The whole assembly extends the mount for the camper to a good 28 inches behind the vehicle. I have not put this to the test yet, but wondering if anyone can think of why this is NOT a good idea. I plan on doing some short test drives before the eventual 1400 mile trip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm queuing up to do the same thing... my popup doesn't get here for a few weeks though.

Let us know how it goes!

I actually picked up a little longer ball mount since I took this picture because I had too much drop with this one...

I also mod'ed the dual adapter to take an anti-rattle pin since there was so much slop in the system.

--------------

[WTB} 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift