mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Hitch rack recommendation for Prius

Hi guys (and gals),

This is my first time posting here. I'm looking for a hitch mount rack for my 2007 Prius to hold both my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR and my Specialized Tarmac carbon fiber bikes. I think I've got choice overload, because there are so many options to choose from. I like the idea of the tray style holder (such as the Thule T2) but they are pretty heavy and bulky and I would like something that I could take on and off and store easily. Another option is the hanging style rack (such as the Thule Helium 3), but that also has disadvantages, since I would also need to use it with the bike adapter bar to accommodate the geometry of my two bikes. Can anybody make a suggestion what might be the best rack for my case? Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Ben

ballbuster
    1UpUSA Quick Rack.

1UPUSA.com :: Quik Rack Aluminum

*end thread*

mtbr member
    I have a saris Freedom 2.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up deciding on the 1up system. I bought the single bike quick rack with the add on. I like the fact that the single bike system is pretty light weight and collapsible, so it can be taken off and stored quite easily. It's not exactly cheap, but I think it will be worth the extra cost. Now I have the fun job of ordering and installing a hitch on my Prius.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Camry Hybrid and I recently installed a hitch on it for carrying my bikes. Word of advice: Pay someone else to do it. It is such a PITA that I would never attempt to do this again ever in my lifetime. I was able to do it but it involved dropping the exhaust, cutting holes in the frame rails of my car and a lot of crawling around on the floor of my garage not to mention lifting and fiddling with this big heavy hunk of steel.

I paid $150 for a Curtis hitch. No complaints about the hitch at all, it is well made, has a quality finish and it came with decent instructions and it fit perfectly after all the fiddling.

I went with a Hollywood rack. It was cheap but it works well for my mtb. Don't think I'd try using it to haul my CF road bike though.

Oh, and it will affect your fuel economy but not as bad as a roof rack.

Did I catch a niner?
    Guy I ride with has 1up on his Prius he likes it a lot and can hold both fat bikes easily with adapter. He had it parked on the street one day and someone actually hit the rack (it was folded up I am told), not really happened to the rack minor dent but held up fine and still functional.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1