Thread: hitch rack lock

mtbr member

hitch rack lock

i got yakima rack not long time ago and yakima lock for securing the hitch pin. the lock was pretty outrageously priced for what it can really handle. today when i was removing the pin i forgot i had the lock still on, just by using the wrench that came with rack i was unscrewing the pin, didnt even notice the lock broke off until i saw it on the floor.
    i am wandering what everyone else use. i am also considering locking the bolt that serves as pivot for folding the rack up, not quite sure how as no way i am buying yakima crap locks again.

ballbuster

Yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    i got yakima rack not long time ago and yakima lock for securing the hitch pin. the lock was pretty outrageously priced for what it can really handle. today when i was removing the pin i forgot i had the lock still on, just by using the wrench that came with rack i was unscrewing the pin, didnt even notice the lock broke off until i saw it on the floor.
    i am wandering what everyone else use. i am also considering locking the bolt that serves as pivot for folding the rack up, not quite sure how as no way i am buying yakima crap locks again.
    Any of those locks can be defeated by somebody with opportunity and motivation.

I use a Disc style lock around my trailer safety chain loops to a heavy chain and a good U-Lock around the rack. I just take off the U-Lock and put it around my bike frame through the rear wheel to secure my bike. The point is to basically inconvenience a scumbag enough to move on to the next thing. They aren't likely to carry the tools to remove the bolt anyway... although all it would take is a crescent wrench for a simple bolt pin.

That said, I've never actually heard of hitch rack being stolen. I heard about somebody's roof racks once. The kind that clip to the roof of the car in the door jambs. Those are pretty easy to defeat. Just pry them off. I think the payoff for a hot bike rack is probably not worth a thief's time... the bikes sure are, tho!

I hear ya, tho. The locking pin is pretty overpriced, unless your rack can take a standard ASE threaded pin. Those can be had for like $25.

I had a Thule T2, and that uses a metric thread... an M12 1.25 thread pitch IIRC (double check me on that before buying!). They don't even use the same Class1 or 2 hitches in Europe or Asia, so metric threaded locking hitch pins are pretty rare.

I dunno... if you're the kind of guy who really worries about such things and live in a bad neighborhood, just get it to save you from losing sleep over it.

sluice box
    Just bumping this to say that Thule T2 uses the M12 1.75 thread pitch for the threaded hitch lock pin. This thread was the best Google could do so I wanted to get the correct information attached to that search.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    I have the Thule Vertex Swing Away carrier and was so unimpressed by the cheap build of the Thule hitch lock that I drilled out the threads on the rack and bought a heavy duty Reese Class V, 5/8" receiver lock. I needed one big-ass washer to put inside the receiver to keep the rack from wiggling, but I think that has more to do with the imperfection in the hitch that I bought.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I just purchased a Swagman hitch mount and am using the standard threaded bolt with cotter-pin clip and also added a 5/8" locking hitch mount. (Just drilled out the hitch and mounting arm on the hitch mount). Although nothing is bulletproof, it would be real PITA for a thief to get it off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I use one of these to lock my rack/carrier to the hitch. I use a second one to lock the bikes to the carrier if stopping to eat after a ride.

STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - 721 Security Chain And Lock - Locks - Security - Accessories - Cycle Gear