mtbr member

Hitch rack on a full sized pickup?

So today at the trailhead, I see a guy and girl pull up in a full sized F-150 pickup. It's got enough room in the bed for 4 Harley Fatboys yet this guy has two bikes dangling off the back of his truck on a hitch rack!

There was no cover on the bed or anything preventing him from spending, probably $500 less and just putting a wheel mount in the bed.

I've never owned a pickup but the ONLY reason I would ever consider buying one is to be able to put bikes in the bed. Why would someone choose to add a rack to the one vehicle that doesn't need a rack?

Workin for the weekend!
    Maybe he already owned the rack from a previous vehicle?

What's it to you anyway?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    What's it to you anyway?
    Having never owned one, I'm wondering if there's a reason NOT to use the bed to carry bikes.

It just seemed odd. Like seeing a car drive down the road with a ski rack on the roof and skis sticking out of the back window.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I own a truck, but I am considering buying a receiver hitch platform rack.
    My reasoning is because it will be a pain in the ass to mount the fork mounts in my truck bed IMO and also kind of a hassle to remove the tire before and after each ride. And also I plan to buy an SUV in the near future so no need to mess with mounting fork mounts to my truck if I'm gonna sell it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I run a hitch rack on my truck for a few reason it was easier to get the bike on then trying to pitch it over the side of the bed. I have a Yakima holdup style rack so nothing touches the frame just a quick wheel strap.
    Now I will say that bought the rack when I had a jeep before the truck and that's why I still use it. Its also nice to have for road trips when the bed full of other stuff its easy to toss the bike on the back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Because it's easier and quicker than climbing in the back of the truck to load the bikes.

My buddy has a big truck with a little hitch rack on the back and it's much easier throwing the bikes on the rack than trying to climb in the bed to to load the bikes.

Resident Curmudgeon
    did you ever think that maybe he uses the truck as a work truck M-F and puts drywall, plywood. pipes, tools and such in the bed and having any racks mounted in the bed would be a royal pain in the butt? I have both a front and rear hitch receiver on my truck. Camper in the bed hitch rack and bikes on the front, no camper, then the goes hitch on the back with the bikes. Wife goes off with the horses, haybales go in the bed,

oh and an F150 is not a full sized pickup those are F250/2500 F350/3500's
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    oh and an F150 is not a full sized pickup those are F250/2500 F350/3500's
    Yes it is. The Ford Ranger is not a full-size pickup. All of the F-series trucks are. The F-150 is not a heavy duty pickup, which is probably what you're thinking of.

As for the OP's question, it could likely be because he actually uses the truck/bed for its intended use, in which case a bed mount would be in the way (as someone already mentioned).
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've got a Kuat hitch rack on my full size Dodge Ram. The reason? I like to keep the bed clear for other items I may be carrying on a road trip, and I don't want to have to remove my bed cover just to put bikes in there. Plus the Kuat rack just plain looks cool!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, I just went back to a pickup and am keeping the rack around...4 bikes in a bed kill any storage potential for camping gear/supplies etc.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by travisbloom View Post
    bump
    Bump for what?

I <3 dirt

Hitch rack on a full sized pickup?

I smell spam coming.....all his posts are a bump
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I currently made a truck bed bike mounts that allows to put your bike in or out in seconds.
    No taking the front tire off no tie downs. I have it in my truck bed now, ever time I go ride someone will ask me where I got it. Im now selling them if anyones wants info let me no.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I would like to see pictures of your set up JL.

mtbr member
    Like others have said, lots of reasons why they don't want the bikes in the truck, I guess. But having my bike securely in the bed was one of my favorite things about having a pickup. Throw it over the tailgate for local rides -- tailgate on my 2500 made for a 1-5 bike rack, making it easy to have others come along -- or tie it down moto style for a longer trip. No negative impact on mpgs (even the hitch rack drops the economy on my Outback by a few mpgs), no need to move it to get in the rear hatch, and I hate watching my bike bounce along on the hitch rack on my car.

But I guess he had his reasons ...
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road