mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Hitch and rack for 2014 fiesta.

So I have finally decided to bite the bullet and get a new car. So I have found a new Fiesta that I like so now figuring out how to take the bike along.

I think I want a hitch mounted rack. So does anyone have any recommendations on a hitch and rack? I will only need to haul 2 bikes at once at the most. As for the rack, do I want one that the the frames sit on or the holds wheels? I have 2 - 29ers and will be getting a fatbike in the near future as well as hauling my girlfriends 26" bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I agree with your thinking on this (am exploring options for our new Prius v). Torklift in Kent WA makes hitches for everything on the road. And, they make 2" receivers for small cars, which is perfect for a good solid bike rack set up. Just don't expect to tow much with it! If you think you can get by with a 1.25" receiver, just get it from your nearest U Haul.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Kia Forte Koup, put a hitch on it and bought a Kuat NV Core. It has been working great so far. I have a 29er and 27.5 and they fit good on it...
    Stumpy FSR Comp 29er
    SC Bronson C

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That looks like a pretty nice rack. Does it fold up at all?

mtbr member
    The Kuat does fold up when not in use, I think it only weighs about 38lbs...
    Stumpy FSR Comp 29er
    SC Bronson C

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I ended up buying the Fiesta and ordered a Draw-tite hitch and a Swagman Xtc-2 rack. Once it gets shipped and I have time to install it, I post my feelings on it. I think I'll like it though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So did I! Got a hitch ordered through Uhaul and will have it installed next week. Ordered the XYC-2 rack and got it today for my Fiesta.
    2011 Trek 6500

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I put my hitch on this morning. I haven't hauled a bike yet but mocked it up and that rack seems to be pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Got the hidden hitch (which is identical to the draw tite): http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2013306672

Added a Saris Freedom Rack because I have have both 650cc and 29er wheels. It's nice because the rack latches on both wheels and the frame too so there's no movement of the bikes with the wind. Additionally, the pin that came with the Saris hitch is threaded so there is no sway in the rack at all. I'm loving it so far. Can still see decently well with the back up camera. I've too many bad experiences with windy driving and bikes on the roof. hopefully this gets me better mileage too.Hitch and rack for 2014 fiesta.-focus.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is that the Storm Grey or Violet grey color? Like the wheels too. I have the storm grey titanium with stock wheels. Like yours better. Anyway...

I'm having a heck of a time getting my hitch installed with Uhaul. They have messed up appointment times and when I went in last week for the install, they ended up firing the installer right when I got there. At the front desk right in front of me.

So rescheduled for today. Today I'm there for over an hour as the installer is struggling. I heard a drill and I knew that the hitch should not require drilling. I went into the bay area to stop him. It was the wrong hitch! Installer was actually only cleaning out the existing holes and not drilling new ones, but I'm so glad I stopped them.

After another half hour we figured out which one I needed through etrailer.com. Try again next week.

I would install myself but I don't have wheel ramps. At least now they've knocked $60 off the original $200 installed price.
    2011 Trek 6500

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I did the install myself using the e-trailer videos and install info. Super helpful site. I don't think we raised my car but it is helpful to have a couple sets of hands to get everything right. Feeding the bolt through was tricky.

P.S. the car is a Sterling Grey. Hope you get it all set for summer

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    With many miles down the road, I figured I would give my input on the Swagman rack and hitch on my 2014 Ford Fiesta . I really like it. The ability to switch between different tire sizes and frames is great since I have transported bikes from 20" kids bikes to 29ers. Only drawback is the lack of wheel trays for a fatbike.
    2014 Trek Fuel ex 7
    2013 Trek Superfly Al
    1997 Jamis Dakota Al
    1941 Schwinn Dx klunker wanna be

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    1UpUSA. There are a couple of very lengthy threads here on that. You could use it as a 1 or 2 bike rack - it's modular.

J