mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Hitch Mount Rack for Pickup

Hello. I have a 2016 GMC Canyon PickUp and looking for a hitch mounted rack that will fold up and down, except two 5 inch tire fat bikes, and be able to lower the tail gate and not hit the rack when folded down. Any suggestions? I contacted Thule about the 9032 T2 Pro and they think the tailgate will hit the rack.

mtbr member
    OneUp and Kuat make good hitch racks that can take fat tires. Not sure about tailgate clearance when the hitch is in it's normal position, but worth an e-mail to the manufacturer.

Might want to look at one of the "over the tailgate" pads. Just a few for reference.
    Dakine Pick-Up Pad > Accessories > Auto Racks > Truck Bed Racks & Pads | Jenson USA
    https://www.rei.com/product/849950/y...k-tailgate-pad
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Yakima is releasing a fatbike tray rack in March of 2017. Dr. Tray. - don't know the details, but maybe they'll have info on it from Eurobike. They are aware of the shortcomings of the T2Pro and it's inability to haul multiple fatbikes simultaneously.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZeX0gndk18
    I would advise not taking my advice.

since 4/10/2009
    I loaded my bike onto a tailgate pad setup for a shuttle for the first time this summer with my fatbike (Salsa Bucksaw). It was just a short drive to the trailhead, but it worked well.

That said, I wouldn't want to rely on it for long trips, because your bike winds up taking up bed/cargo space.

I have a Kuat NV which works great. There's a new version of it out that adds a few features. I haven't loaded 2 fatbikes on it (only one), but I don't see why it couldn't fit more than one at a time.

Also look at the 1UpUSA racks.

I think for the tailgate clearance, you need to know the space between your hitch and the tailgate when it's down, and look for racks that have a lower "stack" height. The Kuat NV platforms sit kinda high, but the NV 2.0 may be different.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    +1 for the Kuat NV rack. This video shows the older version on the back of a Tacoma with plenty of clearance for the tailgate down, I would have to imagine most trucks will be similar. You might even get enough room to access the tailgate with it loaded if you tilt it down. I have the same rack on the back of my Subaru Forester and with two bikes on, tilt it down, and I have plenty of room to open the rear hatch. I have had the rack for a year now and it is still rock solid. The new version out has a few changes but the overall design and size looks very similar so either one would work.

For what its worth, I had a Thule rack before the Kuat and from new it had so much play in all the pivots I was afraid a big enough bump and the bikes would go flying off. It was scary how much it bounced and flopped around. Barely any movement with the Kuat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Use a hitch extension.
    2016 RadRover Fat Bike
    ^I put wings on it. This makes it a plane. It's only logical based on the members of this forum.