Thread: Hitch lock

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Hitch lock

I just bought a Yakima double down 5 bike rack and I am needing a good hitch lock. Can you give me some recommendations. thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You need to get one that locks on that Yakima hitch pin that came with the rack. When you buy the Yakima Deadlock, IIRC it comes with a lock for that pin. If you get just a normal pin with a lock, that rack will bounce everywhere, because it doesnt screw in like the Yakima pin does.

Picture Unrelated
    The Yakima one also comes with a cable to lock the bikes with, very handy if you're as paranoid as I am about running into a store with the bikes on the car.
    Yakima Shop Bike Bike Accessories DeadLock

If you're interested in just a hitch pin lock PM me as I think I have one laying around.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

addicted to chunk
    Yes as mentioned, if you pay more for the yakima one, it will thread into the rack & stop it from wobbling.

On that note, I use a standard locking pin from the local truck acc shop. I try to find a decent quality one that is made of stainless, otherwise they rust so quickly if you leave it on all the time (like I do).
    My rack wobbles a bit but it doesn't hurt anything.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks Zebrahum but My buddy gave me one. It doesn't look like a strong hitch lock. I would like to leave it on but I think that will decrease the life of the rack. We would use it most of the month.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks again. I am going to a trailer whole seller this weekend and will see if he can find one that fits. I will follow up later this month if I am successful.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by ser182 View Post
    Thanks again. I am going to a trailer whole seller this weekend and will see if he can find one that fits. I will follow up later this month if I am successful.
    There does not exist a lock that will prevent your rack from being stolen (or bike or whatever you want to lock). Locks are a deterrent of theft, not a preventer sadly. I personally can't stand to see my rack swaying behind me so I like to stick with the bolt-style hitch pins.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ser182 View Post
    you need this product here...it's designed to work specifically on the bolt that comes with the doubledown rack.
    Yakima 7235 Hitch Lock for Securing Hitch Bike Racks to Vehicle

if you are looking for a cable lock to lock the bikes to the rack AND the hitchlock that locks the rack to the hitch, then here is another option. the cable lives inside of the bike arm.
    Yakima 2411 DeadLock Security Lock for Hitch Bike Racks

instead, if you want to lock the bikes with a long cable lock AND the hitchlock, check out the lockup system...personally i think this is the best of the lock options for doubledown racks with capacity more than 2 bikes.
    Yakima 7238 Lockup Cable Lock For Hitch Mounted Bike Racks