mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Hitch - easy mount & lock?

I recently had my trunk-mount Yakima King Joe stolen off my car during a ride. I'm thinking about replacing it with a hitch mount and have a few questions:

1. Does the rack lock to the hitch mount on the car?
    2. How easy is it to get on/off the car?

My problem is that I have very little space (6 inches) clearance between my car and the closed garage door. I either need something that has a very low profile (so I can fit the car/hitch and close the garage), or a rack that mounts easily every time I want to use it. Oh yeah, and doesn't get stolen, either!

Drunken fool
    1: Which rack are you looking at?
    2: depends on which rack you are looking at.

Hitch racks can be locked to you car's hitch by either a locking hitch pin or cable/chain lock.
    They are easily removed by simply pulling the hitch pin and pulling the rack out of the hitch. Storage of the hitch may be an issue though. I would go with a 2" hitch if you haven't already installed a hitch on your car. There are more options and accessories for 2" hitches and it is easier to find those at garage sales etc. It has nothing to do with how much you will tow, just the ease of finding racks for a 2" receiver.

I have a Thule T2 2" hitch rack that we use. I picked it up at an REI scratch and dent sale for $50. I'd check those out if there is an REI in your area. That hitch is super easy to use, install, and fold up when not in use.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

ballbuster
    1Up USA rack. Folds up very tightly, but don't know if 6" is enough for any hitch rack. On the plus side, the thing is light, quick and easy to install with a 10mm security Allen bolt (reeeeaaallly oddball) so nobody is going to take it off, not to mention, 1Up USA has a theft guarantee.

Failing that, you can always install a U-Lock and chain it to your tow hook under the car.

Many hitch racks use a threaded hitch pin with a little lock on the end to keep it from being removed. Those things are pretty cheesy tho... I doubt it would slow down a real thief that much.

Fits a Fat Bike, too!

Folds up pretty small (pic stolen from somewhere on the internetz toobz)

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I really like my 1Up as well. So far no issues with theft but it can be locked if need be for extra security. b However I'd rather take 30 seconds and put it in the trunk of my car if I am really in doubt of the area...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the replies. The 1up looks great.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk