Just Trying to Get Better

Hitch Design & Stability

Has anyone experienced any stability issues for models of hitches that DON'T require drilling (into spare tire pan, etc.)? For example, this is the Curt that fits my car:
    Curt Trailer Hitch 12343 : CURT 1-1/4" Receiver - Class 2 Hitch

As you can see, the bolt holes all line up with existing bolts, so no drilling is required.

BUT, on the Draw-Tite (Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch for Toyota Camry 2007 - 36416) there are two bars that extended under the spare tire pan. Extra support is obvious.

Just curious if anyone has experienced any support issues with the two different designs. I highly doubt there are any noticeable differences, unless you way overload it. Pretty damn sure they thought of it in the design process (notice Curt has an extra 90 deg bend at the bolts at the bumper instead of the bars under the wheel pan) and I tell myself that a class II is a class II and rated for the same tongue weight, but wanted to see what everyone thought or has experienced.

Actually...after looking, the Draw-Tite (with wheel pan support bars) is rated for 300 lbs tongue weight and the Curt is rated for 350 lbs. No drilling, although slightly more expensive, sounds damn good to me.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I'd go with the strongest hitch for your car. I do like the Curt better for your application as you don't need to drill extra holes in your car. YMMV..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Thanks Oscar. Anyone else have any thoughts?

After looking at pics of Camrys with the Curt vs. Drawtite/Hidden Hitch, I'm leaning away from the Curt due to the aesthetics of it. i.e. with the Curt, you see the entire frame of the receiver from the rear of the car. With the Draw-Tite/Hidden Hitch, all you see is the tongue.

For reference, I have attached two pics. Although the Curt is rated for more weight, I'm leaning towards the DT/HH.

1st pic is Curt hitch. Second is a Draw-Tite.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Workin for the weekend!
    The curt is a more robust hitch, you can tell by looking at it... Are you looking for form over function?

Not necessarily. I understand the curt is more robust. It is rated for 350 lbs vs 300 lbs. Which are both more than enough But, that being said, I don't think the DT or HH is a bad choice. I mean, they're not failing miserably all over the market. So, why not get one that looks better with the same relative function? I guess that's the root of why I posted the thread...Seeing if anyone had experience with one design or another before I assume they're basically equivalent (based on ratings) and make my decision on things other than stability.