mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Hemming and Hawing - 1Up vs T2 Pro

Been hemming and hawing between the 1Up vs. T2 Pro

I like the single tray option of the 1up for now.
    On the flipside, when in dual tray mode, I like the ~extended handle~ on the T2.

Aside from that, they all seem pretty comparable across the board.

mtbr member
    1Up is all aluminum and will last forever. Best rack I've owned and they are made by a small company in Wisconsin if that matters. No contest IMO.

mtbr member
    If you had them side by side, you'd think the t2 was a toy. The amount of plastic in that thing, for how much it costs is crazy.

There's also the fact that if the T2 ever gets damaged, Thule probably will not sell you replacement parts. 1up will (experience from backing into a tree with a t2 and getting rear-ended with a 1up).
    I don't understand how Thule does it. If the t2 were half it's price I might think about it, at retail... I don't see how they sell any of them when there's something so much better for about the same price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Without see them side2side, it really is a tough call on judgement. I don't know if one design or the other is technically superior...per say. I would not get into the whole plastics vs. all alum. construction, as they way they attach are different designs ya know.

Both seem to have their own fanbase.
    I'm not sure if anyone has switched from 1up to Thule ?
    Many on the latter, I suppose ?

-------
    Bit the bullet.
    Ordered the single 2" 1 Upper.
    Last edited by mobiledynamics; 1 Week Ago at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    I have an older T2 and the 1up roof rack trays. 1up gets my vote every time. All aluminum construction, easy to use, super flexible with accessories, etc.
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I would not get into the whole plastics vs. all alum. construction, as they way they attach are different designs ya know.

-------
    Bit the bullet.
    Ordered the single 2" 1 Upper.
    You made the right call with the 1Up. I think what everyone is saying about the plastic and rubber is that it degrades in the elements, whereas as aluminum doesn't.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Around here friends only let friends buy a 1Up and suggest a Saris when the 1Up is not affordable.

I saw 1Ups before many did because they started getting sold word of mouth at events close by so I've seen them age. I've seen associates get parts and repairs when other stuff only had the option to get replaced or bought again.

Our 1Up 5 years old this month. I've had Yakima, Thule, and Saris. They were all junk or had problems at or before they had same amount of use.

You love them even more as time passes. One moment you have a 1 unit rack, the next you're at a friend's driveway and turning whoever's got the 2 inch receiver into a 4 unit rack.

Honestly, the 1Up racks are in a select group of products that get the never printed "Shut up and buy it." label.

ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Been hemming and hawing between the 1Up vs. T2 Pro

I like the single tray option of the 1up for now.
    On the flipside, when in dual tray mode, I like the ~extended handle~ on the T2.

Aside from that, they all seem pretty comparable across the board.
    Your flip side argument is no longer valid.
    An extended tilt release handle mod is in the works. I spoke to Eric yesterday and the new handle parts were in the process of being coated. The "extended handle" will be available in a week or two. No price was mentioned.

mtbr member
    I just ordered and installed a 1UP on my Forester. Well worth the money. That rack is the most solid, well constructed, and the simplest I've ever used.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 72guy View Post
    Your flip side argument is no longer valid.
    An extended tilt release handle mod is in the works. I spoke to Eric yesterday and the new handle parts were in the process of being coated. The "extended handle" will be available in a week or two. No price was mentioned.
    Extended Handle coming you say?? Color me ready to buy. the ONLY minor quibble w the 1Up is the somewhat less than desirable spring loaded bar that locks the rack into the different positions. Outside of that I'm glad i took the plunge as configuration flexibility, ease of use and more than anything - rock solid, dependable, won't break construction makes this a 1x cost vs multiple on any that have a combo of alum, steel and plastic. Just got another compliment on it at trailhead yesterday - of course the complimentor had a 4 bike version on his Taco!!

My buddy has a Kuat - had to replace one of the front wheel arms recently as it basically gave out and not a highly used part by him..., he also lightly backed into a fence and 1 of the rear wheel cradles snapped off. If the 1Up - that fence would have been what needed the fixin

beater
    A major benefit of the 1-Up that is not mentioned as often as it should be- major leeway to adjust bike positions.

My girlfriend has a Kuat, and you can't adjust the fore-aft positions of the bikes very much. The front tire more or less sits in the dished tray with maybe an inch of latitude. If the bars and seatpost contact you can't do much about it short of loosening the stems and turning the bars. With my 1-Up I just slide one bike forward and the other back.