mtbr member

help installing 594XT on Thule's Aeroblade load bars

Can anyone provide some simple easy to understand instructions on installing this carrier on these bars? Thule's provided instructions are of course absolutely horrible. I watched a video on youtube but it was for the square bars. I installed an Echelon carrier previously and that wasn't too bad. Wanted a second carrier and opted for this because it looked so much easier to put the bike up and on. But its a nightmare to get the rack on there. Thanks.

Shane

code: mtbr2011
    a few tips.
    when you remove the tray from the bottom mounting plate, dont fully remove the small hex bolt.
    insert the medium size bolts that go downwards and then slip one of the 3 wing knobs on it so it can't come back out when you turn it over.
    reinstall the bike tray.
    install the black plastic "spacer" and rubber pad over those 2 bolts and install 1 hole of the underbar bracket and then put on a 3 wing knob to keep it tidy. don't worry about the other bolt so much yet until you have it positioned on the car.

on the other side, the bolt comes up...do the same thing in reverse. bolt through underbar bracket, into rubber pad, into black spacer and wing bolt it on top.
    if you did the forward bolt for the 1st one, do the forward bolt for the 2nd.

bring it to the car and finish assembling everything...once you can get a 2nd wing bolt on 1 of those 2 places, the rack won't want to fall off the car anymore.
    don't tighten....
    install the rear hardware while it is on the car....keep the front loose so you can raise it up.
    get everything bolted and tighten it up.

not hard, but just a lot of components.

mtbr member
    Thanks Scott. Will give this another go after work.

mtbr member
    Well I got it on. You're right. Not hard but jeez their instructions leave a lot to be desired. I guess part of what confused me the most was that I figured the brackets would be more contoured to the load bars. So I thought I was doing something wrong or missing something.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Late to this thread, but felt the same way. I reached out to Thule to see what they say. I almost feel like the rubber gasket is incorrect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Related thread, someone says you need an adapter plate, have not found anything yet from Thule about it.

Thule load bars: rapid aero bars worth it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Official response: "Because of the taper on the aeroblades, you need to reposition the rubber spacer slightly [ skewed toward the back of the car (15-20 degrees). All of our bike carriers, except the 569, were originally designed to fit on flat bars, and won't always seat themselves perfectly flat on aeroblades."